Discussion Does air fry chicken have the texture of raw chicken on the inside?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mount Tai Unleashed, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Darkanlan

Darkanlan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First thing an air fryer is just an oven with a fan that uses a basket to keep the meat where the air can circulate. Check your oven and then look at the air fryer, they're designed almost the same concept. You heat a coil and the heat distributes through the sealed chamber thus cooking your food, this just allows air circulation better so the food will end up crispier. The concept comes from convection ovens. Use fans to circulate air allows the heat to distribute better and cooks faster with less heat needed.

Now as for it not being cooked as it should be, the usual reason for that is you put too much in it. They need enough space for the air to pass around objects and circulate, if you're blocking the entire basket, then you're not letting it work as it's intended. You may as well just put them on a pan in the oven. Limit the amount you put in and make sure there's enough space for air to go around items in the basket and then try cooking, you may cook less at once, but you'll get the food cooked properly. It's why the air fryers come in different sizes, if you're making more food you don't buy the smallest ones, but the biggest ones. It's also why they generally are close to the same height but usually have a larger width for the bigger ones.

Zalpha, Nightow1 and Astaroth like this.
  2. WeiFish

WeiFish Eccentric Grey Sword 『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    I highly recommend it. My family has an air fryer and it's brilliant.

Zalpha likes this.
  3. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    But that does nothing for the meat's inside. It only moistens the outside.

Ai-chan prefer microwaving it first because Ai-chan likes crunchiness. It's the same principles as deep frying stuff at low heat so that even the stuff inside is cooked, then ptaking them out and putting them back in briefly to put the crisp and crunch into the batter.

Most people think microwaves cook from the inside, including Ai-chan once, but that's not true. Ai-chan was set straight by the science department once. Microwaves actually still cook from outside to inside. The only difference is, microwaves can penetrate deeper earlier than other methods.

4. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can see it from the meat that attached to the bone. If it's still pink don't eat it.

Air fryer are known to take longer to cook. I'm betting it's not done yet. There is another tip to cook Cornish chickens. They tend to smell, if you want the meat to cook like in KFC, you need to marinade the chicken in buttermilk 1 day beforehand.

5. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    rack

Ai chan likes this.
  6. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Air fryers are basically mini-ovens with most of the same warnings. Preheat, holes in the meat for heat access, uninterrupted air circulation etc. You also need to check where is the air coming from. If one drumlet is blocking the airflow to another, the blocked one is going to be undercooked.

Another possibility is that the small air fryers might not put out enough power to cook large quantities, might need to keep an eye on that too. Maybe a bit of trial and error is needed before you get the correct settings for the device.

Astaroth likes this.
  7. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    if it's chicken fillets then you could also flatten them out so they have the same thickness throughout the pieces of meat, that way they will cook evenly.

If it's drumsticks and other pieces that can't be made smaller or flattened, then tbh shouldn't you be deep frying that? or cook it in a casserole in the oven like someone else mentioned already

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  8. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing you buy from the Spanish Inquisition?

Ai chan likes this.
  9. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    just google "oven rack" or "grill rack" and check images
    [​IMG]

Edit: Oh, nvm... So apparently there's a torture device that's also called rack...

10. Nightow1

Reading List:
    Link
    It was a Monty Python joke.

11. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    If the chicken isn't cooked throu(easiest way to tell is the bone is bright red) then try these suggestions. When fully cooked the meat should easily fall off the bone, and the bone with take on a grey or off white color. Pink or red flesh near the bone means you need to cook it again.
    If cooked from frozen, cook at slightly lower temp for 10-20 minutes longer
    If cooked from thawed, you over loaded the basket. Try halving the amount in the basket and cooking for an additional 10 to 15 minutes

Lol this is also why I like the traditional oil fryers. It may add some extra grease to your diet, but least you stand a better chance of getting it right the first time

12. pyro5379

pyro5379 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pets the smart boss kitty. :blobsmilehappyeyes::aww::blobnosebleed:

Ai chan likes this.
  13. Finalbeta

Finalbeta Science Nerd

Reading List:
    Link
    Always thought are pretty much the same

14. pyro5379

pyro5379 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you on royalroad? I think you replied to a comment chain in The Forbidden Class.

15. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    o_O yes... same name and avatar.

16. Vora_vixen

Vora_vixen Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say if your not sure to just cook it longer.