Discussion Is it me or do a lot of novels get worse as they go on...

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by mja, Jan 31, 2019.

Tags:
?

Do novels get worse as they go on?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. It depends( anyone who choses this option is an indecisive little shit)

25 vote(s)
    39.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mja

mja Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've probably read well over a hundred novels at this point and one glaring mistake i often find is that a lot of novels start out with a bang than fizzle out into a heaping mass of hot garbage by the time they go over 250+ chapters.

i mean, is it that hard to simply maintain the same level of quality throughout the novel instead of just banking in on the early success of their novel and then just leaving it to rot.

2. Not Red Yet

Not Red Yet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they don't plan ahead mainly.

3. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    Well KR rarely goes shit. I remember Desolate Era didn't go that shit since I liked reading it.

4. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I feel insulted, but expectations are not always met. Sequels have the problem of trying to be better than the original. If a sequel of the first one are both exactly alike, then the original would be better because it came first. https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Sequel

Silver Snake likes this.
  5. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    The author had early success and they got too comfortable with the situations they are in. They put less and less effort to write original while more and more inserting cliché troupes. The readers who have invested lots of time into the novel found themselves in a situation where they can't just leave.

There you go, story with good start becoming cliche but still have lots of readers.

Silver Snake likes this.
  6. Lokumi

Lokumi 『The second greatest trash of society』

Reading List:
    Link
    as already said, because they don't plan ahead, but I also think that too many chapter make it almost impossible to keep the quality. There also some novel who go down in quality for some arc and then said quality is going up, basically it depend on the writer.

MaliMi and Meloman like this.
  7. Asdq

Asdq RSS FEED SECT! I WANT YOU FOR THE RSS ARMY!

Reading List:
    Link
    Truth, but rarity now is wrong, maybe 'sometimes'.

8. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmm you could try writing... try writing something over 100’000 English
    ( word based language) words (asian languages with characters have a different word counting system) long ... and then see if it’s “digestible” when re-/ proof-reading. I’m not even talking about it getting worse later on. Unless the writer starts with an end in mind... but even then... it’s hard to put down on paper the images one has in one’s head... and not get bored (either with the plot/ the characters/ or the editing process...)

9. Asdq

Reading List:
    Link
    I think they has not time.

10. Not Red Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    They have time, should not write a novel if you don't have a general direction where the novel will go.

11. Rendei

Rendei Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Periodic releases are like that. The manga industry is the same way. The story needs to grab and maintain the readers' interest in the short term or it wont survive, which takes precedence over long term planning. And then anyone who manages to get popular usually wants to string that popularity out as much as possible and keep the readers coming back. Because getting popular isn't easy.

And then they'll inevitably get stuck at some point and be forced to write something they're not happy with to meet a deadline. That's usually the beginning of the end.

MaliMi likes this.
  12. Manah

Manah Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because most writers are otakus tricked into unfair contracts and forced to change their stories halfway to please the masses.

13. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    i think most of the "decent" novels start off with a somewhat fleshed out first, possibly 2nd arc, and a general idea of where/how they want to end things. unfortunately, there's next to nothing planned for the stuff in between there, so the quality starts to fall off, the exposition seems like it's pulling random words out of its ass and hoping they make something resembling a coherent thought, and filler starts to become more and more common/drawn out as the author gets used to buying time.

although perhaps an extreme case, one way to look at it is: if the author suddenly died, how well could a ghostwriter finish the story without forcing their own vision into it? most novels are just dropped, but for the sake of the example, i propose two possibilities. the most common would be a "fan" that *knows* just what the author intended to do, and everything after is more of their fanfic in that universe. the alternative would be similar to what happened with the wheel of time. they called in a ghost writer who was familiar with the story, and he was all ready to do his thing and write up a final book to close things out, but was given so many notes that were left behind that most of his job was just trying to make things flow and connect all the dots already laid out, and he ended up with 3 books, instead.

although it's a bit unfair to hold people to that level, i think this style of preparing notes ahead of time and coordinating the plot accordingly is the difference between a professional author, a wordcount warrior, and a glorified blogger with a dream.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  14. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just you

Gitami likes this.
  15. Asdq

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you want eat or write about you like? I can see the author side.

16. Not Red Yet

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't eat if no one reads your novel cause you don't plan shite out.

17. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really, no. Some do - maybe because, as others have suggested, authors don't "plan ahead" and either lose track of where they're trying to take the story, simply run out of ideas for it, or lose out to mistakes like power inflation. It does happen. But the majority of the time, novel quality is fairly consistent from beginning to end, or even begins to improve a bit as the novel goes on - nothing dramatic, of course, but anyone will get a bit better if they've spent the past five years writing a chapter every day for their novel, don't you think?

Unfortunately, the novel's quality may not change, but reader perception absolutely does. You get tired of it; it seems worse than it is.

18. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If a novel goes for more than 3k+ chapters, you pretty much can tell it will be filler-y.
    If a novel has more than 5k+ chapters, it's better to avoid it.
    If a novel has more than 7k+ chapters, it's not worth even wasting your time on it - just pick another novel for that lol. :blobpopcorn_cool:

Ai chan likes this.
  19. Darkanlan

Darkanlan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have read a few longer series that were good. The key is that the person has planned out the entire story before they start writing it. Otherwise if you just make stuff up as you go then you'll end up with plot holes everywhere and a lack of cohesion to the story. Too many authors just toss stuff out there every chapter when doing web novels and end up with half assed stories. Good stories are planned out ahead of time, then write them according to the outline. Then you know where your story is going and just have to write the context to fill it.

MaliMi likes this.
  20. PandaLover995

PandaLover995 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude ur standards got higher. Lol jk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.