Is Qidian dead? and if it is why do they still have to be a dick about it.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by anon1guy, Feb 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anon1guy

anon1guy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    but it takes like the same amount of time and effort. so you are essentially just wasting money.

Darkanlan likes this.
  2. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    it like the novel rewrite on RRL people like repetitiveness and paying lots money not story build up and consistency of the main plot

3. Lirikan

Lirikan [Charming Mollusca] [Cephalopoda Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    *Watching the show from some corner:blobpeek:

4. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    hold the fuck up, what you mean? I post original novels on Webnovel, are you tryna say they're claiming originals as their own or some shit? Well fuck them i have it all on Scribble hub already too so HA! Cant fuck over this big bro. And i never tried getting money off it anyway so i dont think it would get their attention.

Deleted member 37987 and thymee like this.
  5. Ikan

Ikan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, its my money and how do I want to spend it is my choice. whether I want to give to QI or WW or any translator/patreon is MY right. you just bitter.

6. anon1guy

Reading List:
    Link
    We can only hope that this is their deaththroes. that this will be over soon and people will be freely able to translate Qidian novels again. its a nice dream. though I suspect that even after qidian their novels won't get translated.

7. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    don't know if it was qidian or actually the author, what i know is that qu had some orginals there and that they gave trouble and the mods were trying to remove them and prevent further posting there and then the hammer fell

8. DomDomDom

DomDomDom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am in mood for some calculation :
    $1 can buy SS = 50
    For most of private translation sites , donation for new chapter (I am taking max. value)= $100
    For a chapter on Webnovel SS required (average) = 10
    $100 converted to SS= 100*50 = 5000
    Paying Readers required for new chapter =5000/10 (contribution of single person)= 500
    Readers for a good novel = ???
    So if a novel is getting 1000 readers per chapter then it is making $200. But in reality only 1000 people are paying for reading? Only Qidian knows truth about how much money they are making. They are saying that translators are not getting enough money. Maybe that's why translators are leaving.
    PS: Forgot to add Money made by ads.
    If anyone wants to add something please feel free.

9. prettyalpaca

prettyalpaca Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, its money well spend, i invest time and effort just on very special needs, and this kind of needs is not

10. anon1guy

Reading List:
    Link
    trust.

11. prettyalpaca

prettyalpaca Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry i miss click and post reply before i finish my reply

It's more like, if original novel in qi become premium, it's means the author already sign demonic pact with qi, their works now owned by qi.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2019
    thymee likes this.
  12. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you signed QI's/Webnovels authors contract*, then your hosting your novel on Scribble IS ILLEGAL.

*: There may be multiple contracts, but the one I'm familiar with literally signs over your complete rights to Webnovel, including (but not limited to) eternal nondisparagement, eternal noncontradiction, eternal rewiting/ghostwriting/reuse, eternal exclusivity, and eternal legal rightsholding. And you've done all that for literal pennies on the dollar. Anyone who uses QI / Webnovel for OENs is such a flippin' moron that they deserve neither respect nor sympathy, only vitriolic contempt. I am not in the least bit exaggerating that, either.

For clarification:
    Eternal Nondisparagement: You may never say anything bad about anyone even tangentially associated with QI / Qidian / Webnovel / TenCent / Reading / etc - anyone in the entire corporate chain.
    Eternal Noncontradiction: You may never publicly disagree with anything said or released in writing by any member of Webnovel's corporate chain, even if it's a bald faced lie, even if it's in court, even if it's ridiculous, even if it directly contradicts something you've said earlier.
    Eternal Reuse: Webnovel, at it's sole discretion, can decide you are no longer a profitable author, and hire someone else to use your characters and setting to write something better. You are then forbidden to interfere, and may on;y use those characters / settings / universe again with Webnovels express permission - which you won't ever get, if they pull this on you.
    Eternal Legal Rightsholding: Webnovel can prosecute anyone for copyright infringement anywhere in the world, without your approval or participation. They are your sole legal guarantor of your work, and can act in your proxy for all copyright issues. You have no say in this. This is what happened to Underground - Translated works are handled in a much more complex manner in legal copyright circles, while the legal rightsholder of a OEN can easily file DMCA's. Since Webnovel's Premium Authors have no rights to their works anymore, only Webnovel itself could have authorized that DMCA that took down QU.
    The Eternal part: Other clauses in the legal contract include phrases like 'in perpetuity' and 'survive termination' and 'joint severability' - legal crap which means that the contract exists forever and ever, even if parts of the contract are deemed illegal, or even criminal. A teen could sign it for their Twilight fanfic, and 30 years later, get threats of being sued if they say anything bad against Webnovel in the far future. Unlikely, granted, but the threat of legal horrors is what these scum get off on. Only rich people and lawyers ever win in a court of law.

Seriously - anyone who is dumb enough to sign a contract like that is too dumb to write a good novel anyway.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  13. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    You Know, I don't really care how QI pull their stun by snatching popular translation to their site, legally they have the right to do it and translator should have know that it will come a day that QI come knocking their door. But what I hate the most about QI was when after they snatch and translate it for a while they stopped it for couple a month even stop translation. it f**king piss me off.

14. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    FYI @TamaSaga
    Not really, by the premium authors contracts, they've already signed over copyright to Webnovel. If a DMCA was sent for one, it HAD to come from Webnovel. The authors themselves no longer have the right to represent their work.

nuubman likes this.
  15. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Qidian Underground never made any money off their business nor claimed novels as their own and all they did was to make "premium" novels freely readable. inform yourself
    The problem why QU got taken down was that users treated the translations and originals on QI the same, uploading premium chapters of both. QU got taken down because the authors complained (idk why), not because of QI, which had been on their toes since the beginning. I don't know more or the exact reason, but this is the official reason given.

16. thymee

thymee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow so QU already gone huh, well as long as Qidian didnt touch box sempai i don't care though...

17. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not technically true. You're assuming that any DMCAs filed were valid. The reality is that Reddit is presumably not going to double check author contracts with Qidian before honoring DMCA complaints from an author. An author - or multiple authors - could just as easily have taken it upon themselves to go after that subforum, and no one would stop to question their legal right to their own work.

18. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So ya'll still making Qidian threads with no substance? I thought we'd gotten better than this. What exactly was this thread for, other than generating outrage?

And, can i just say how funnily ironic i find it that the ''righteous resistance'' was taken down due to it STEALING an original novel from a, presumably, innocent author? Rememer the outrage when someone (not even Qidian themself) uploaded royal road originals, or japanese novels, to inkstone? Oh boy.

Fucking hypocrites. Really comes to show that no matter how many people act like they're some fucking heroic ''rebels'' due to ''resisting'' the big, bad Qidian, in the end, it all still boils down to them commiting piracy due to their inability to pay for their damn entertainment. You'd think inkstone would be safe from piracy, since stealing that actually hurts the author, unlike stealing the translations, which pretty much only hurts Qidian. But, nope. Cuz, unlike what pirates try to convince others (and seemingly, themself), they actually have no honor.

Not that me saying that will change anything, most people who think they're in the right for being pirates, and are even indirectly bragging about it on the forum, are borderline delusional anyway, so reason aint exactly their thing.

Wu Jizun, Helaine, etvolare and 5 others like this.
  19. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, come on, since when did Qidian threads ever have substance? They're all about the drama no matter who makes them~

I mean, some threads were even made to explain the whole drama to newcomers~
    Dunno, if I was an author and saw my work being pirated, I'd be annoyed and would want something done about it... Though I do know there isn't much of a way of fighting piracy in the internet, when an entire subreddit exists solely for the sake of pirating my (and my coworkers') work, I'd be especially annoyed and might actually try doing something about it.

Just saying~

ReadOrDie and oliver like this.
  20. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    well i never signed nothin'. Never went premium, never planned to, didnt want that kinda obligation. Which some of my readers suggested i do specifically for a "reliability" of chapter release reason which this daddy didnt like cuz he lazy and doesnt even know if he'll complete it! Or at least doesnt like to feel i have to! So they can go suck turtle eggs.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    Shield Loyalist and AliceShiki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.