Discussion Do you also read fanfiction?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Japorea, Jan 29, 2019.

?

Do you read fanfiction?

1. Yes

45 vote(s)
    66.2%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    33.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Japorea

Japorea Resident BL Enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    Same! Almost all of the fanfics I read are from AO3 nowadays, though most old fanfics can still be found in fanfiction.net.

Donutmindme likes this.
  2. Arexio

Arexio Blob Fanatic | AG Player

Reading List:
    Link
    Besides the fanfics that I read for pairings, which is really to just indulge in my fantasies, there are some high quality ones where I just LOVE their world-building or their rework of the canon.

Some examples from Pokemon include:
    • Pokemon: The Origin of Species - Main MC is NOT trying to be the best trainer, but is pursuing the path of Pokemon Professor. There also 2 other MCs which also are great characters. Superb world-building - I find it refreshing that everything actually MAKES logical sense. Also great how the legendary bird trios are treated as natural disasters.
    • Traveler - MC starts with a humble Nidoran, instead of a Pikachu, and it's absolutely amazing. The storytelling and battle-action scenes are breathtaking. My favorite character in this novel is an OC, Infernus (a Magmar), which goes to show you how much I enjoy it.
    • PMD: Silver Resistance - MC is reborn as a Charmander in what's essentially a post-apocalyptic world. It's gritty, it's tense, and not for young children, which is another reason to love it aside from being very well written.

Japorea likes this.
  3. Japorea

Japorea Resident BL Enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the recommendations! Though I'm not yet part of the Pokemon fandom, I won't say no to some high-quality fics. :blobjoy:

Arexio likes this.
  4. Princess Renesmee

Princess Renesmee Cry baby

Reading List:
    Link
    No. I don't read fan fiction. If I find a story that clearly uses the names of certain actors or anime characters, for example, I choose not to read it. I just don't like it.

5. orario

orario Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not only read, I even write fanfiction - I got a story on fanfiction.net in Naruto/JL xover section with over 2k followers. The biggest achievement of my life.

Japorea likes this.
  6. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    I read fanfiction sometime, but most of it was great at the beginning and as the story goes it doesn't feel right sometime mc too OP, sometime there many new enemy character that OP too, it makes the other cannon characters become figurines that was added into story.
    Mostly the story was dropped half way.

Japorea likes this.
  7. orario

orario Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not only the fanfiction stories that are like that. Sometimes, the canon is just like that too. For example, take a look at Naruto or even Bleach. In the beginning, the MC is weak but towards the end he gets OP af, making the other characters take the role of a cheerleader.

8. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup but at least it was not to OP for Naruto because there still people that can rival him even though Madara is fucking to strong, as for bleach is that a name detergent ? Lol MC is always weak Everytime he face new enemy.

9. orario

orario Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, Madara and Kaguya were stronger, Sasuke was equal and that pretty much sums it up. Remember when Orochimaru was like the biggest bad wolf out there? By the end of the series, Orochimaru, the 5 Kages and pretty much everyone else are way out of Naruto's league. The result of World War basically depended on 2 teenagers.
    As for bleach - every time a villain appears, none of the characters stand a chance. Every damn time, Ichigo gets a godly power up and saves the day. The other characters are rendered as mere nuisances at best. Just remember Aizen's arc. People centuries old and supposedly incredibly powerful end up needing to be saved by a high school boy.

Wick likes this.
  10. mm38910

mm38910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. Don't try to tempt me.

11. Alva Quinn

Alva Quinn 『0→1』『The Servant』

Reading List:
    Link
    Mm... There was a period when I read many fanfics. Recently not anymore though.
    Their odds of getting dropped is higher than any series getting axed.

Donutmindme likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.