Discussion Coiling Dragon Nostalgia (3+ years whoa)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by TerraEarth, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerraEarth

TerraEarth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Was feeling kind of down today so as usual I was browsing around for something new to read. Saw that the coiling dragon manhua was updated and I usually hate reading manhua but for some reason I decided to read the new chapter.

It depicted Linley and Delia's marriage and then it hit me like a truck. All the memories came flooding back and I remembered all the scenes from the novel that I so thoroughly enjoyed. I could no longer stop myself and I proceeded to speed-binge the available chapters and proceeded to just bask in the understanding that this scene (asian webnovels) has come so far from those days where we'd sit around waiting for RWX to spit out a new chapter. At the time I believe CD was the novel with the fastest releases, it seemed almost inhuman - yet look at where we are now.

3+ years have passed since RWX posted his afterword and seeing how far I've come from that time I read all the latest releases on my phone on those long 2-hour commutes on a cramped seat in the back of some muggy bus leaves me feeling very emotional. All of a sudden, my bad day doesn't seem so bad anymore. I've wasted countless hours reading these novels, but if I had to go back I would do it all over again. Here's to another three years I guess.

2. Arexio

Arexio Blob Fanatic | AG Player

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, I think I was in college skipping class when I was reading CD. Ah good, simple times.

3. d4saken

d4saken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The first finished novel. :(

Slayerwolfx2 and sonnen like this.
  4. Ruki

Ruki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You made me remember the forgotten Alice.

TerraEarth likes this.
  5. TerraEarth

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually really liked Alice. I searched for the chapter she first showed up in because I remember that's when the novel started ramping up.

Slayerwolfx2 and GrimVeilRule like this.
  6. Ruki

Ruki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I liked her too so it pains me to remember that IET forgot her side plot and let her die of old age.

7. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    I saw the series on Amazon last year. Bought them all and reread them still one of the best novels I ever read

Bright_Lucky_Star and otaku31 like this.
  8. TerraEarth

Reading List:
    Link
    IET being IET.

9. chloroform

chloroform Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Imo only CD really the one tried to apply elementals characteristics in their Dao per say

10. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    How is it a side plot? Because she showed up at the inauguration of the country he created and said a few lines? No, Linley himself said that when he saved her for the last time, when the monsters attacked the city, that was the end of their story. After her betrayal and all the drama was said and done, she served no purpose in the story.

otaku31 likes this.
  11. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually remembered of the archer, the survivor... I think he was only one to try to kill mc that survived.

the Alice romance was flawless, a pity author didnt care about Delia at all, only made her a mindless zombie, without any will of her own :/

I kinda regreat reading past the Beirut (his family name?) arch, it was a great story till then.

12. Omniscient Viper

Omniscient Viper [Evil MC Enthusiast] [Park Jimin Biased]

Reading List:
    Link
    Still one of my favorites, even with all the problems It had when It came to side characters. lol

sonnen likes this.
  13. Delirious

Reading List:
    Link
    And Alice wasn't? She literally obeyed whatever her father and the trashy childhood friend told her to do. She followed Linley around calling him big brother and was more like a delusional fan than a lover. At least Delia ditched her parents when they were trying to force her to get with someone.

Slayerwolfx2 and otaku31 like this.
  14. Funelas

Funelas Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Man that pre-novel updates era was horrible, I had to bookmark everything I was reading (around 50 novels) and update those bookmarks whenever I read a new one/new chapter. It was also the era of the "Paid Machine Translations" which makes me shiver as I remember it. Horrible quality translations back then went for around $45-60 per chapter (1.5-2k words).

Edit: I also remember being impatient when I caught up to the latest chapter of CD, and decided to read it via G-Translate. Those "Adults in Beirut (Grandpa Beirut)" and whatnot stuck with me, and maybe that was why I was so tolerant in reading the machine translations back then.

Also there was this big fight of human translation purists vs machine translators mostly because of Elysion (the translator, not the novel), charging money for below sub-par quality translations of Isekai Mahou wa Okureteru (which nobody is translating now).

Another edit: Also, has anyone seen Life? He was first in all the comment sections in most of the novels I've read back then.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  15. k1nk4

k1nk4 Sage Verdurous Sea Turtle

Reading List:
    Link
    In all the novel, of those close to mc, she was the only one to ever say "no" to him. This is more will than all the others characters combined. A pity it made a lot of readers hate her for it.

16. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Saying "no" doesn't make one better by default. That's a very misleading statement. Ur missing the context. It's not like Linley ever forced himself or his affections on her. A denial would hv mattered if Linley was pursuing her against her wishes/forcefully trying to hold on to her but she stood her ground. She would hv become a rare woman who wouldn't give in to the MC. The only kind of denial Alice ever did was denying her responsibility in the breakdown of their relationship.

She was seeing someone behind his back b4 she 'fessed up. While I hv nothing against her decision, I (and most readers, I believe) didn't like the fact that she left him in the lurch (for sometime, atleast). She could hv simply come clean earlier, or if not that, informed him that she might be reconsidering their relationship. It was the manner she did it in and not the act itself that was the problem. And don't forget all that BS excuses about not understanding him; that's what communication is for.

I fail to understand why some readers put her on a pedestal. Ninelotus from DE was much more upfront and honest with Ji Ning about breaking up; how many readers do u think hate her?

I liked the Delia that was honest in her love and intentions. It's rare to see the FL being the pursuer. I do wish she had more character development, tho.

Delirious likes this.
  17. Delirious

Reading List:
    Link
    Really? That's your reason for saying she has more will than ALL the other characters combined? Jesus, Grandpa Doehring is tossing in his grave right now. Even Linley's mom has more "will" than Alice and she was mind controlled.

She said no the mc? Sure, whatever. What a joke. The reason why readers hate her is that she's a stupid cunt through and through. She cheated on him for months because she has absolutely zero "will" of her own. She blindly followed Linley like a rabid fan. She didn't even put up a fight when her drunk father told her to get with her childhood friend. All she did was complain. And said childhood friend didn't even threaten her, just told her Linley was a nobody and her future would be better as HIS wife. At the promise of riches and easy life, she didn't hesitate to cheat on Linley and in the end, she basically blamed him for not being a person worthy of her. Lol, has more will and originality than the other characters.

otaku31 likes this.
  18. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ur right. I just reread those parts and realized Alice was actually far worse than I remembered her to be. She was a dishonest, disloyal, evasive, cowardly hypocrite. Instead of bravely making a clean breast of it, she was trying to lie low, hoping Linley would simply forget her/their relationship. She didn't even have the courage to face him and inform him of her decision (something I believe a decisive, resolute person would do in that situation), and that too after Linley having told her he would leave quietly if she ever fell out of love with him. And to think she had the gall to accuse him of not being worthy of her. Again, blaming others while turning a blind eye to one's own faults is not the mark of a strong person. What "will"?! Only hypocrisy that I see.

Let's even forget morality for a second here. If ur gonna cheat, u should atleast hv the resolve to face up to the repercussions. Alice didn't even hv that. A strong willed woman? Yeah, right.

Alice couldn't even say NO, cuz saying "no" would actually require her to face the other party. Alice was simply hoping to slink away, wishing to be forgotten.

P.S. Sometimes, these arguments in her favor make me wonder if I've truly read the same novel as them. :blobunsure:

Delirious likes this.
  19. Delirious

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, leading up to the drama, it was kind of cute? So I sort of understand why people originally liked her. But funnily enough, I liked Delia's character as far back as when they first met at the school. To me, she was far cuter and relatable as a young "crush". It was funnier and more heartwarming to see an adorable girl try to engage in a conversation with her crush, and even kind of stalked him when she saw him. Instead, he got with a girl that only like him for saving her. Later proving exactly how shallow she really is.

The only reason I'm not salty about it, is because it set up a better romance for the MC and Delia; since he was no longer naive and she had feelings for him for YEARS before they got together. But since this is IET we're talking about, he blows hard on capitalizing on characters romance.

otaku31 likes this.
  20. sonnen

sonnen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Alice storyline ended well in my opinion but what I wish was that jenne had not faded to the background and atleast got to follow Linley the very end. She loved him and knew she couldn't have him but wished to stay Close to him and follow him. Her story was very very sad to me its one of the very very few times I have wished the MC to have a second wife or she could even have married one of his clones lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.