Question Websites for LNs without an L (and more)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Readeress, Feb 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that there's a bit of disconnect between what's going on in TV and books. TV shows tend to add emphasis on catfighting because it's popular among viewers and hence good for ratings. The Romance novels I've come across tend to be wish fulfillment fantasies with perfect matrimonial partners. The latter tend to not be focused around harems. What's interesting is that books that get adapted into TV shows tend to up the ante on catfighting.

There are other, more realistic Romance stories out there, and I find that these tend to be much better.

It sort of depends on which books you're talking about. While Japanese webnovels are dominated by otaku-oriented works written and read by young people, Chinese webnovels have a much more diverse readership. The latter is not very well represented on NU, and there are entire genres that are absent here. I think that it's a real shame as I spend a lot more time reading books that aren't translated than books that are. But unless you read Chinese, this won't mean a whole lot.

2. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, you are so very much out of luck. With very few exceptions, the Asian webnovel genre is extraordinarily misogynistic by western standards. Historically, women were basically property of some male (father, husband or son) throughout their lives, and that kind of attitude absolutely fills chinese webnovels to the brim. Fun Fact: A study revealed that one in four chinese men under the age of 40 publicly brag about raping one or more women, with 'sexual entitlement' being the most common excuse. (US / Europe rate is 1 in 20, and they aren't bragging about it) And you wonder why chinese webnovel authors write them that way? It sells to their target demographic. As a mater of fact, many chinese webnovels are referred to as YY (Yi Yin) novels - slang meaning 'mental masturbation novels' and are written for exactly that kind of powertrip. Korean- and Japanese-based webnovels are less commonly translated, for several reasons, but are overwhelmingly less nails-on-blackboard to western ethical codes.

On NU, I can only advise you to look for novels that (1) lack the rape or harem tags, and (2) have 'protagonist loyal to love interest' tags. Those will be almost all male MC's though. Chinese female MC 'romance' stories are even more painful to read, what with the female MC rationalizing her rape, hopelessness, sexual and psychological abuse as being devoted, loyal, and loving - aka stockholm syndrome in spades. NU could probably use that as a tag. . . I can't actually recall reading a single korean female MC novel, but there are loads of japanese ones that may be enjoyable - especially if you can stand m2f genderbending or species transformations. (This IS the country that sells egg vibrators from vending machines in middle schools. :ROFLMAO: )

The following is a list (in no particular order) of novels that have a solid female lead. Many lack romance, many have much violence, or some other problem, many are of other genres than chinese fantasy, virtually none of them are complete, and a large percentage are OEN's: Original English Language - books written by english speakers, but written in the style of asian fiction. (painting with a broad brush: chinese lust for power and influence, koreans lust for money and property, japanese lust for weirdness and sex) Most OEN's here are from Royal Road.

This should probably keep your reading list occupied for many, many days.

Stunning Edge
    It's Not Easy to Be a Man After Traveling to the Future
    Divine Doctor Daughter of the First Wife
    Skyclad - OEN
    The New Journey of an Old Soul - OEN
    Quod Olim Erat - OEN
    Metaworld Chronicles - OEN
    Flow - OEN
    Azarinth Healer - OEN
    Phoenix Destiny
    Manowa
    Fluvia - OEN
    Wizard with the Flower Blades - OEN
    Who Says This OL Cant Become A Splendid Slime - OEN
    The Whisper of the Nightengale - OEN
    Spiritsmith - OEN
    Crashed Into Fantasy - OEN
    ReLovely - OEN
    Nigotta Hitomi no Lilianne
    I Quit Being A Noble and Became a Commoner
    But God Forced Me to Reincarnate - OEN
    Assassin Farmer
    Decent Of The Phoenix
    Ascendance of a Bookworm
    The Good for Nothing Seventh Young Lady
    Make My Abilities Average
    Genius Doctor Black Belly Miss
    Another World, Another Gender
    Adorable Treasured Fox - Overturning the Heavens
    Reign of the Hunters
    Risou No Himo Seikatsu
    Kusuriya no Hitorigoto
    Unruly Phoenix Xiaoyao

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  3. Jimminx

Jimminx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wuxia World, Volarenovels and Gravity Tales are quite good. (Most of the novels on Volare have female protags)

I'd recommend The Grandmaster Strategist (fiction) and Romance of the Three Kingdoms (a classic Chinese literature). They're both in a historical setting with Three Kingdoms based on actual Chinese history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.