Websites that Shutdown in 2018

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Wujigege, Feb 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heimdallr

Heimdallr [I-don't-know-what-to-write-here]

Reading List:
    Link
    HentaiHaven...:blobsob::blobsob:

2. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    That's saying that translators are rare and precious and pirates sites are too numerous and useless or unwanted. Does this sound realistic to you, or just idealistic thinking? Both exist due to the circumstances that create them. It's just a logical inevitability. At the very least, you should consider that it's possible that things could be much worse with no pirate sites, and in some ways bad if there were a lot more translators. Also, translators are not as rare or irreplaceable as you might think. QI has proved that.

3. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, CN translators anyway...

4. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    The way I see it, the original authors are golden gooses who only gift their eggs for free (or for a low price) to their neighboors
    The non official free translators steal the eggs while goose look elsewhere and gift them for free on the town market, with a tip jar on the corner of their stand to pay for stall fees
    The non official translators that goes the greedy way with full on adwall/adspam or patreonwall sell the eggs they stole from the goose for their own profit
    The aggregators stole the eggs from the translators and sell them on their own stand, right next to the translator stand, at a fixed price (sometimes for less, sometime for more, depending on which type of translator they stole it from)
    And the official translators/publishers start their own supermarket, buying the eggs from the goose and selling them with a profit or at least gift them with the goose blessing (if I was a CN author I would blabber on for a few filler chapters about how they give face to the goose).
    [Edit :] And Qui is a guy that start a full on shaddy business, giving eggs for free at the start, one at a time, then go play on the tradding marking to artificially boost the eggs price and sell them ten times the original price, but you have to buy them with money he print himself, that he sell you for real money with a profit.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    TamaSaga likes this.
  5. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry but you are wrong
    Actual translators and not MTL shit are precious
    Regardless of what you want to believe.
    What is the benefit of pirate websites? backup of shutdown websites? But they caused the websites to shutdown in the first place.
    I get that people do not want to pay for content
    But piracy has zero benefits.
    It has been proven over and over
    Let me paint a clear picture

Would you rather have 100 translators and zero pirates
    or 100 pirates and zero translators?

With no translators, there will be no pirates since pirates are parasites.
    People want free stuff yes, but let us not pretend that pirates do any sort of good.
    Normalizing piracy is shooting yourself in the foot
    There is a reason pirate websites are not mentioned here

P.S We have had this discussion previously. I know that I wont't be able to convince you.
    Let us agree to disagree

6. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
  7. tef0

tef0 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Man aggregator sites get so much shit but I literally can’t read without them.

Basically every TLers site is fucking ruined by ads my browser will crash every 20 seconds because of them.

8. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    That is not the reality
    Translating by actual translators not MTL crap, is no different from actual writing of actual stories.
    It is called derived work for a reason
    It is like a fanfiction
    Claiming that translators offer zero creative input is tomfoolery and you know it.

I totally understand where you are coming from but there is a reason translating by small sites is a grey area
    They do not earn enough to license.
    Hopefully, that will change in the future but when growth stagnates because people visit pirate sites more than the actual translator, it is very unlikely.
    Also, given that most people cannot even afford to buy the books if it is turned into ebooks is another issue
    I have come up with a solution though but getting a good developer is hard
    Books should not be free, it should be sold but the person paying for it does not have to be the readers.
    Have you heard of trialpay?

9. rexzshadow

rexzshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Interesting way to put it only the first part doesn't really work since the original material isn't free since its behind a paywall after 100 chaptesr (for CN novls) and I believe Korean novels are pay to read as well. JP novel cost money too when their published. So not really free XD And I know I'm just kinda nitpicking here =X

10. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Sadly, it is an endless cycle of defeat. A self defeating cycle

A website is too small to be approved by good ad companies and join crap ad networks who serve malware
    Readers leave and visit pirates
    Website shutdowns as the student who is the translator gets a part time job that can earn more than translating and the cycle repeats

11. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Japanese web novels that I translate are free. Publishers like J-novel allow me to translate such novels until they catch up with their licensed version of the light novels

12. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Humph, amateur... What you should be doing is loading your computer with various scripts to extract the text from the TL's site every time, so that way you give the TL their views, but you still get the pure text extract to read however you want.

Rumby, TamaSaga and Wujigege like this.
  13. rijimon17

rijimon17 Hope you can read the words

Reading List:
    Link
    The issue with aggregator sites is that they divert traffic from translations sights by putting the translated chapter on there sight without crediting the translators. This isn't a problem if the translators doesn't want to make money off there translations, and instead wants to divert there own time and money to keeping it running. My personal issue with aggregator sites is that they dont TRANSLATE. That means if the translators of your favourite series aren't making enough money from their website to keep translating and decide to quit. Then who knows how long it would take untill someone else picks it up. Also depending on the original translators decision the new translator would have to start retranslating from chapter 1!

(Unless there is a difference between aggregator sites and pirate sites. If so then I'd like to know what it is)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
    Princess Renesmee and Wujigege like this.
  14. FranckOA

FranckOA Killer Klown From Outer Space

Reading List:
    Link
    Not if they are in webnovel format for JP novel, those are free.
    But for Kor and CN novel the prices are really low per chapter, so it's hard to stomach that Qui mutliplied the price by 1000% (yep ten times the original price if you convert the cost of ss in real money per chapter) for their international releases...
    That's why I edited my original text...

Wujigege likes this.
  15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you.
    That is the main point
    We want translations
    Sites that do not TRANSLATE are a cancer.
    They benefit from translations but do not translate

16. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    If you won't even consider it, how can you possibly see the truth? How is that I am the one who just believes what I want, but your stubborn and narrow-minded point of view is flawless? The most ridiculous thing you've said is that piracy has zero benefits and the only good thing you've said is to agree to disagree. (Hint: the benefits of piracy is absolutely NOT limited to "free stuff")

Wujigege likes this.
  17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure go ahead, what are the benefits of pirating novels that are already free?

jackateonetoo likes this.
  18. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    I am currently reading several qi novels, and I have no idea how that stone whatever system works because I've never used them and I don't ever want to.

19. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
    My dear sir/ma'am since when stealing is no effort? lol

20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    That is not a point for piracy
    and also you missed my point: What is the point of reading novels that are free like on my website on pirate websites?

Someone made allusions to ads slowing down the website and it is slow
    I hate to break it to you folks, unless it is video ads, ads will not slow down a website
    It is the bots and scripts from pirate sites scrapping content that slows down most websites
    How did I know? Well I actually run a website and I am not pulling stuff out of my ass
    You get to read novels for free on pirate sites that cost money
    Sure but let us not pretend that they are not a cancer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.