Help getting smarter

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ImJustTesting, Feb 5, 2019.

1. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    talking to stranger I guess~
    while get smarter is questionable you still can get more knowledge
    hmm kinda remind me with book with blank page or vol 1 of a certain book which as thick as my table

2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Hang around people much smarter than you. That stokes your competitive spirit so you strive to improve.

3. HarukiMizuki

HarukiMizuki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just go to : intructables.com

There're thousands of interesting things you can learn. You might surprise what you can learn from there.

ImJustTesting and Moonpearl like this.
  4. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm also about to finish my degree, and honestly, I feel the same way~! University has obviously developed a lot of my skills, but since my field(s) deal with a lot of unanswered questions and not much maths, I really feel like I've gotten rusty at basic practical skills.

Personally my answer is to brush up on my old high school subjects once I finish, and maybe learn a few more subjects I never chose to study at school. Then I'll go pursuing information I think I need.

Do you feel particularly underdeveloped in a particular way? I'm not wholly sure what Computer Science involves exactly, but if you'd like to try literature, I can share plenty to help out.

You could also take a look at Crash Course, a Youtube that do fun series of videos that teach the basics of various subjects.

Sugaminny and ImJustTesting like this.
  5. Recouer

Recouer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe try a few other centers of interests. i too want to study computer science though i can't content myself with that and plan on getting a ph.D in both math and physics so maybe its a simple lack of interest steaming from the repetitive aspect of your studies or lack of challenge since you're getting accustommed to it and it became too easy.
    i get the same in my school: in there we study both mathematics, physics and chemistry up to a college degree and I'm kinda good at math however, since it's so easy, i never study it and pass most of my time studying physics and chemistry because those are the only subjects that require me to try harder in order to get better scores even though i'm far from perfect in math (well i'm still the best of my school by a huge margin).

ImJustTesting likes this.
  6. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Learn from mistakes

7. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's better to hang around with those who are slightly better than you or about the same as you, as someone who is too smart for you would likely not do you anything good.

ImJustTesting and Wujigege like this.
  8. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Learning from the mistakes of others is better
    You cannot learn from a gunshot to your head
    [​IMG]

9. ImJustTesting

ImJustTesting Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks everyone, for answering and for worrying.

10. ImJustTesting

Reading List:
    Link
    I might be suffering from a few more things besides (a light) depression, but none of them should actually be at a stage that can really impair my life the moment I decide what the fucking hell I'm going to do with it. But I agree that maybe seeking this kind of help could help, not that I'm willing to that, yet. Thank you.

This could be the main reason for some things in my life, my sleeping hours are pretty messed up...

Arexio likes this.
  11. ImJustTesting

Reading List:
    Link
    WHAT DID I DO TO YOU??? :cry::cry::cry:

12. ImJustTesting

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually kind of like chess, but games and competitions are not really suitable for me since I don't have enough... fighting spirit...? I prefer taking things leisurely and be able to actually enjoy it if it's something I decided for myself.

And my ability to understand other people and how they think is close to 0, so I'm not good at predicting the flow of things or how someone would play...

13. ImJustTesting

Reading List:
    Link
    Awesome video, thank you for the treat!

GrimReeFer likes this.
  14. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Just joking, laugh mate, just laugh :blob_grin:

ImJustTesting likes this.
  15. ImJustTesting

Reading List:
    Link
    I really like to read (duh!), so I want and would greatly benefit from learning more about literature and the likes, especially how to take a critical approach to things, so if you can share some of your vast wisdom with me I would be really thankful m(__)m

And this channel seems just what I wanted, thanks.

Arexio and Moonpearl like this.
  16. Arexio

Arexio Blob Fanatic | AG Player

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I'd agree with most of the above posters, except the trolls obv.

If you want to learn about a new field, go for it dude. Don't feel discouraged or afraid. Find something you can feel passion for first, THEN dive straight in.

That being said if you ever want some interesting nuggets from the fields of Sociology or Medicine, hit me up. I know plenty of fun facts.

EDIT: If critical thinking is a skill you'd like to develop, I'd highly recommend taking a look at some of the softer sciences/literary fields. They just use the parts of your brain that get kinda rusty if not challenged for a while.

17. adorkablehiko

adorkablehiko Ryuunosuke Tsunashi’s Hoe

Reading List:
    Link
    Just like everyone said, consider taking a break. I've been in your situation before so I know how you feel.

Computer Science's a tiring and demanding major (from what I've heard from friends). Some universities let you take a semester off, so look into that, and maybe take a break from school for a bit. School's very demanding and tiring.

As for suggestions, do some sports/exercise (which can help loosen up your muscles, and remove stress), read a book (if you like classics, I've got some recommendations), and maybe try out a new hobby (something you're passionate about maybe?). It's kinda hard to give more specific suggestions since I don't exactly know what you enjoy. Also, STEM majors always make you feel dumb lol. I feel you on that.