Question Can you help to tell where these terms come from?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by DomDomDom, Feb 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DomDomDom

DomDomDom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was reading CN where I came across a lot of words where I couldn't imagine what their origin would be. Their meaning was clear but their first use must have been extraordinary. If you know their origins please share your views.:blobcheeky::hmm:
    -> Cooking rice
    ->Jade rabbits

If you also have some terms don't just keep them to yourselves.

2. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    i went googling and i cant find any mention of where and when they originated or why.

I suppose with 'cooking/cooked the rice', you cant uncook rice so you cant change things that have already happened. Someone way back in time probably had the idea while waiting for rice to cook

'Jade Rabbits is a complete mystery though'

3. Bwayne

Bwayne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Boobs

madness- and GDLiZy like this.
  4. DomDomDom

DomDomDom Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know the meaning but what's relation between rabbits and boobs ?

5. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... just theorizing here:
    1. Boobs are bouncy and soft just like rabbits.
    2. Boobs are like the moon ---> the moon is associated with jade rabbits ---- jade rabbit is associated with the goddess Chang'e who is regarded as being beautiful ----> jade rabbits became a euphamism for boobs

I may actually be on to something with that second one :hmm:

charlotte968 likes this.
  6. rijimon17

rijimon17 Hope you can read the words

Reading List:
    Link
    Its essentially white/unblemished mounds. They can't exactly call them fruits as that probably wouldn't look good in a Chinese sentence and they can't use mount tai as a comparison because most antagonists can't see mount tai, and therefore wouldn't try to kill the MC just because Female character looked at him 1 time; said hello to him 1 time when they crossed each other at a freeway; or just so happened to look in female characters direction from 3 miles away. All offenses punishable by DEATH!!!!

7. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know the actual origin, but it's not just in Chinese, English has the same thing. "Sweater bunnies" is probably the most popular example. "Bunny" is also slang in some places for a swollen bump, like when you hit your head, and that has also been used to refer to small breasts.

8. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I think they originate from the chinese folklore and myths :hmm:, like the story of Chang'e and her rabbit, maybe?:blobsweat_2:

9. Karyehs

Karyehs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "The rice is already cooked."

Means that the girl is already pregnant.

"Somebody is impregnating mom."

Means your mother is in the kitchen making dinner with somebody.

Alva Quinn, GDLiZy and King0Mik like this.
  10. Shibb

Shibb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does cooking rice translate to 生米煮成熟饭?

The above CN phrase refers to the act of making something that had potential happen (implied: before the chance runs away from you). E.g. just have sex with someone to make sure they will start going out with you (potential to be a partner -> make it happen first) or completing the task to refurbish the city and make it look new again before the next big disaster or thing happens (potential to be something good -> finish it to make sure it doesn't run away or disappear)

11. yamibae

yamibae Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese people have always been using various methods to circumvent censoring so I think calling them jade rabbits is because like the image below they appear in a shape similar to boobs when viewed from behind/
    [​IMG]

12. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    The rice is already cooked doesn't actually mean the girl is already pregnant, but it more or less refer to the guy having done 'it' with the girl and because ancient CN girl must remain virgin before marriage, it is also used to refer to the girl having lost her virginity to a guy. So once the rice is 'cooked', the girl is forced to marry the guy no matter what circumstances.

13. Karyehs

Karyehs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, a fertile girl/woman who has lost her virginity (in a world without contraception, except some unhealthy unstandardized regional herbs) can pretty much considered pregnant, right? Virginity's importance even comes from the fact that only the first man who has sex with a woman can be sure of being the father. (There are other ways, but the most reliable would be 'purity'.)

14. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This stuff is contextual.

For example, wrt the 'rice is already cooked', what it really means is something is a fait accompli, akin to the idiom 'closing the barn door after the horse has gotten out'; it means that something is already a done deal and there's nothing you can really do about it now. It can (and is) used for a lot of different things.

As for 'jade rabbit', this is something based on a mix of ancient and modern allegories. It was believed in ancient China that a 'golden crow' 金乌 lived in the sun, while a 'jade rabbit' 玉兔 lived in the moon; thus, in poetic language, 'golden crow' and 'jade rabbit' became synonymous with 'sun' and 'moon'. So you take that and slap that into modern webnovels, and some elect to use 'jade rabbit' to talk about female 'moons', aka the big round white globes they have.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    AKIKAN, Blitz and otaku31 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.