Question Supporting Authors Through Patronage

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Little_Cutie_Stars, Feb 18, 2019.

?

Would setting up Patreon for authors be a good idea?

1. No

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Yes

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  1. AwwGasm

AwwGasm Knows some things.

Reading List:
    Link
    I suggest you talk to the author about it.

They might also possibly have an enty or fantia page (Japanese platforms like patreon )

Wujigege and Little_Cutie_Stars like this.
  2. Little_Cutie_Stars

Little_Cutie_Stars Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand your point. Translating is already quite a difficult task, especially if you have super important things going on in your life. When I say that I don’t want to accept donations for myself, I really mean it. In the future things may be different but for now it’s just a hobby that I like partaking in. I view myself more of a novel enthusiast than an actual translator so basically, I take translating lightly. I don’t stress my life over it, hence why I don’t think I need donations for myself. In the future we’ll see if my perspective changes but for now I’d rather support the author first.

scribbledoutname likes this.
  3. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of authors actually do this.

Little_Cutie_Stars likes this.
  4. Little_Cutie_Stars

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh that’s interesting. All of the authors that I’ve contacted have never done this. I’ve asked them about Patreon before and they were confused. I guess they do it as a hobby so they’ve never thought about making it big. A lot of the authors I’ve contacted are pure BL enthusiasts who just want to spread BL all over the Syosetu community.

kenar and Shio like this.
  5. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So next scammer behind the corner. How do you make me believe a potential donor that this "patreon" is that one from the author?

Certainly not by a fake e-mail from him ... so the author has to publish this on his page - his own blog, the "raw" page, and you can only link the information to the reader.

By the way, the "donations" for translating are actually a payment on many websites the moment the translator makes me believe I could get an extra chapter like this concept of Patreon Wall ("paywall").

If the translator does so, he should have a license from the author to translate his work, and he should tax the earned "donations" in his country. Many know about it, that tax evasion is a "major" offense for most countries in this world.

So from author point of view he should not do DMCA first but inform the authority of a potencial tax evasion this hurt "littel" more.

6. Little_Cutie_Stars

Reading List:
    Link
    I planned on linking it to the author’s blog so the readers could find their donation page and have the author post about it to prove it’s real. I’m not smart enough to scam someone but if I were to do so I wouldn’t even try and just straight up make a donation page and say it’s mine. Btw, does Syosetu count as a publisher? If not, then would that mean I would still have to get my translation licensed if the author doesn’t have a publisher?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    kenar likes this.
  7. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I know that Japan has their Patreon equivalent and authors usually manga artists have an account there.
    The name escapes me though. You could find it checking a pixv profile
    @AliceShiki might know.
    So it's not that authors do not accept donations. They don't use the same services as we do in the West.
    Best of luck to you

8. Little_Cutie_Stars

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the advice.

9. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Its only google trans but from what i can understand is the author aka user still holding the copyright.

Terms of service from syosetu
    Article 18 Permission to use information such as texts
    1. Rights of information such as texts posted using this service (copyrights and peripheral right such as author's moral rights) belong to the user who created it.
    2. The Group shall be able to use information such as texts submitted by users within the range necessary for the smooth provision of this service and for the construction, improvement and maintenance of our group system.
    3. In using the information such as text in the form prescribed in the preceding paragraph, it is possible to omit the part or the name display of the information.
    4. When we use information such as text in the form prescribed in paragraph 2, we will not use it in a form exceeding the scope of disclosure of information set by the user.
    5. The Group shall not be able to provide the full text of the novel except by the Internet, or equivalent, without the permission of the author.
    6. Information such as texts posted on this site are posted directly from sites other than the group · Introduction (ranking) at external ranking sites and novel search sites other than this group · Introduction in magazines and books etc. There is a possibility, and the author agrees with this.

10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    AFAIK, authors use syosetu as a way to gain exposure and have their work transformed into a LN if it's successful, and then they'd get paid for the LN.

So... I don't think you need to feel bad about them? They're aware of what they're getting into and know that they'll only earn if a company likes their work.
    Honestly no clue on that one... Hopefully someone else knows! >.<

11. Little_Cutie_Stars

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks. I was looking for this article a while back because another person told me that It would be useful.

12. TypeFantasyHeart

TypeFantasyHeart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then this almost explains why few authors you know do it. I know an author who makes almost 3000 us dollars per month through patreon alone

13. Little_Cutie_Stars

Reading List:
    Link
    A Syosetu author? That’s a supportive fan base.

14. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    My point is that the authors are earning Syosetu ad revenue regardless
    @AwwGasm said it is called Fantia (Japanese Patreon equivalent)

AliceShiki likes this.
  15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    No. English author
    You can find them here
    http://topwebfiction.com/