What do you think of fan fictionS?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by CcChaos4, Feb 19, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CcChaos4

CcChaos4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not particularly fond of fan fictions. Most of the time, I feel like people are just writing their " what if that was me? " or "I'm sure I could've beaten that guy" in the story. Putting yourself in the story, it's fun to talk about, to argue about with your friends but to actually write it feels like desecration for me. I'm not saying every fan fiction is like that, just the fanfics I've encountered. How about you guys?

Sky Farrow, Elkon, LordCorwin and 2 others like this.
  2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. Nakakure

Nakakure Zadiris Empress Faction. NNN member Nr.1.

Reading List:
    Link
    Somehow it's feels i stole their character too.

4. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’d guess most are self inserts, but when you consider how many people on the forums hate dense MC’s for example it makes sense.

Many, not all, are thinking, if I was him I’d be banging those 2 or whatever favorite they have, so to an extent they are inserting themselves into the story. Fanfics with self inserts are just putting those thoughts into writing.

A second type is people who love a universe so much and notice that a lot of threads don’t get explored and want to play with that.

The third type is people who want to use a famous universe to get attention to their writing, and maybe cut out some work due to peoples familiarity with the other work. They are using it as a stepping stone on their way.

Toralk, CcChaos4 and Westeller like this.
  5. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a fan of fan fiction too much.

[​IMG]

Westeller likes this.
  6. CcChaos4

CcChaos4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So far, I've never read fanfics that are legit awesome. Friends have twisted tastes when it comes to that so most suggestions they have on the topic are somehow two characters of the story going at it or the writer putting a new character and just tries to kill everyone.

7. jbturkle

jbturkle Fruit

Reading List:
    Link
    That's because the vast majority of fanfics are badly written. Even some of the well written ones are nothing like the source material. However, there a few brilliant pieces that are both well written and logical in terms of the characters. It's just hard to find them.

Nerota likes this.
  8. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're referring to the fact that a fanfiction will have the writer's personal flavor, then yes, practically every one of them is a self-insert. But if you're talking about true self inserts, where the author writes himself in as a character, that's actually a minority.

Checking in FF.Net in the SAO universe which I believe has the highest concentration of Self-Inserts, only about 10% are actually self-inserts. The rest are continuations / character focuses / alternate universes / alternate realities / and alternate perspectives.

And seriously, tell me if you haven't wished for an FFVII tale where Aeris doesn't die, Shirogane Takeru gets one more chance in Muv Luv, Shirou is more prepared in Fate Stay, or Naruto actually had friends growing up. Fanfiction is great for exploring what-ifs that the author will never cover.

baka8roukanako likes this.
  9. CcChaos4

CcChaos4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm okay with the second type. Even I have urges to tie loose ends on a story. This I can tolerate as long as it doesn't f**ked up the universe.

10. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    I just remembered Kindle World, it’s a program on Amazon for paid fanfics in some novel universes.

Basically if you can write a novel in one of the listed universes that meets pro levels then you can get a deal for it.

Con
    - You share some revenue with the original author
    - You have to write by their guidelines

Pros
    - You get to write in a universe hopefully you love
    - You have a vast fan base wanting more novels in that universe

Edit: Damn, they closed it to new submissions

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    Westeller likes this.
  11. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh? Well, HPMoR isn't about romance. It's about science and magic, and the consequences of the two mixing. It's the same basic setting as Harry Potter, the same characters - no one is new, that I can think of offhand. But much of the setting is twisted in one way or another and the characters are wildly different. It's a great ride, start to finish.

Well, if you hate it by the first 10 chapters or so you'll probably hate it to the end. The author wrote a disclaimer like that.

12. CcChaos4

CcChaos4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I know that so many are badly. I guess I'm just pretty unlucky encountering such fanfics.

13. Vanidor

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends how you define self insert, if you mean literally write themselves in yeah that’s uncommon. But if you mean write a super version of themselves or their opinions onto a character then I think that’s far more than 10% but no clue on the percent.

TamaSaga likes this.
  14. CcChaos4

CcChaos4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll put this on my reading list then.

15. Mighty Action X

Mighty Action X Mighty and Invincible

Reading List:
    Link
    I read fanfictions originated from movies and tv shows but not from novels. If I'm gonna read fanfictions with bases from novels itself I'd rather write a fiction of my own.

16. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah those. Once you read enough fanfiction to tell quality from crap just by a quick look at the summary and first chapter, these become very obvious and you just ignore them. There are so many good stories that you shouldn't let the newbie writers sour your experience.

Vanidor likes this.
  17. Nuinui

Nuinui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like what you've read are self-inserts or OC (original character) fiction.

Personally, I dislike those kinds of fics too. I tend to go for fanfics which delve more into world-building and character relationships, which are actually difficult to find, since some authors just suck at world-building or aren't very good at keeping the characters true to the original work. It's hard to find good fics, but there are definitely some out there which are eve better than actual published books! And it's worth the effort spent finding them.

Just keep in mind that people write these stories for free. It's a given that they'd write whatever they like, regardless of whether they have good writing skill.

baka8roukanako and CcChaos4 like this.
  18. Japorea

Japorea Resident BL Enthusiast

Reading List:
    Link
    Some fanfictions are great though, underneath all that garbage. Maybe the fics you've encountered were self-inserts or OCs?

baka8roukanako likes this.
  19. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    I like them. Mostly when I fangirl over a series and ship some characters together and fanfics let me see them together, you know... There's basically no other merit to fanfics for me than this. The self-insert ones are boring. Some fanfics are written so well and have such a great plot and the characters are so OOC, I just think it's a pity that the author didn't write an original. Gotta admit though, seeing translated fanfics from other languages (Chinese) throws me in for a loop.

Nerota likes this.
  20. CcChaos4

CcChaos4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the particular thing I have a dislike about fanfics. Whether true self-insert, just some super character they wish to be in the story or just making characters super horny, is the reason of my aversion for fanfics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.