What do you think of fan fictionS?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by CcChaos4, Feb 19, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LWolf

LWolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to run away from fanfictions because... because. But I actually found Harry Potter and the Rise of the Ordinary Person both hilarious and interesting (back when it was translated... I think even the author dropped it?); nowadays I find Strongest Legend of Dragon Ball very entertaining (even a few spoilers I read I find interesting) and Ultraman - Only Want to Protect You is very good, is essentially a written Tokusatsu (I like tokusatsus BTW) and does a good job at being a toku... in spite of some ocasional poor editing...

PS: too lazy to write the hyperlinks... they're all in NU...

2. djsosonut

djsosonut Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tend to prefer the fanfictions that work inside of continuity. The ones that explore a story line more thoroughly or a character's mindset at specific time in there life that feels almost canon. I prefer fanfiction that enriches the world they're a part of instead of trying to reshape them the way they think things should've gone. I tend to hate fanfics that try to unwrite the bad that happened or force some relationship they relationship wanted never bore fruit. I all for What Ifs, but the majority of them don't even seem to have a firm grasp of what the the canon characters are like, they seem to sanitize them and make things happy-happy and pure wish-fulfillment. I've read some great fanfics, but I've had to dig through a lot of trash to find them.

Donutmindme and CcChaos4 like this.
  3. CcChaos4

CcChaos4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Then, may I ask for a suggestion?

4. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe one of these will catch your interest?
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7112821/1/Muv-Luv-One-Last-Time-into-the-Loop (Muv Luv)
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12657502/1/A-Shinobi-s-Take-on-this-Wonderful-World (Naruto x Konosuba)
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/115745...d-Stealing-Witches-Revenge-is-Best-Served-Raw (Harry Potter)
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11707649/1/A-Gamer-s-Guide-to-the-Underworld (Sword Art Online x High School DxD)
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7207791/1/From-Fake-Dreams (Fate Stay // Night)
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11708119/1/Punch-the-Limit (Naruto x High School DxD)
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12738224/1/Davion-Davion-Deceased (MechWarrior)
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8833703/1/Drifting (Naruto)

Yeah, all of these superpower the characters but the author puts serious effort into worldbuilding too.

5. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One of my favorite western authors was Dennis L McKiernon. He was laid up in hospital I think after a motorcycle accident and started writing a 2 book sequel to Lord of the Rings about clearing Moria a few hundred years later.

The Tolkien estate wouldn’t let him publish it so he wrote his own trilogy and I loved it. It’s similar obviously since he needed it for the 2 books he already wrote, but then he started fleshing out his worlds past in other novels.

So fanfics other than 50 Shades can be successful in weird ways.

GrimVeilRule and CcChaos4 like this.
  6. CcChaos4

CcChaos4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  7. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    So I really hate self insert stories which is funny because I love The Novel's Extra. But that aside I hate when they just shove themselves into the story saying I know how to do this better than the MC look how cool I am and take over the story. I like fanfics that mix up the story have a side character do something else. Example is in a fate/zero fanfic I can't find anymore Shirou Emiya is summoned as caster.

8. TamaSaga

Reading List:
    Link
    Aside from the fact that I've probably read at least 20 million words of fanfiction and I've reread most of the stories in that list without taking them off my alert list, no guarantees. I'm not sure what kind of stories you like and I tend to look for stories with non-canon pairings.

9. CcChaos4

CcChaos4 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmmmm, then I'll take your word for it.

10. TamaSaga

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, the second one with the Konosuba crossover is probably the weak link of the bunch. I liked it because of it's innovative spins on the Konosuba scenes, but you need to forgive the writer a lot because it's more of a stream-of-conscious kind of story than one executed with a plan.

11. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    Fanfics are nice. I enjoyed Hikaru no go fanfics the most. When I ran out of good old novels to read, I ended up reading Fanfic in fanfiction.net. There are really some good ones in there. Some fanfics are so good that you would think it's a published novel. Plus it's free. The only downside is fanfics mostly aren't completed so I would only read those with high word count.

12. King0Mik

King0Mik 【An Actual Idiot】

Reading List:
    Link
    Man, is no one going to mention how Wicked is basically a Wizard of Oz fanfiction that got so popular that it became a Broadway play?

Donutmindme and Sabruness like this.
  13. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Aside from the occasional lewd fanfic, the only fanfic i read is The Voyager: Remastered which is kinda funny because i've never played Starcraft before :blobpopcorn:.

It's a pretty good story though. :cookie:

14. devilsun

devilsun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've only tried on the tv shows side but all i see was just ships . The romance if you can even call it that is god awful , it's like if teenagers write it . Maybe i'm searching in the wrong place ? not sure

Though going from people's experience with the " more serious " fanfics ,i might give them a try

15. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't normally read fanfiction in general, but I read a lot of historical fiction, and it's pretty much the same thing: an author is writing a book populated with characters he didn't create in a world he didn't invent. There really isn't that much of a stretch between writing about Luke Skywalker and Alexander the Great; one just garners more respect. And as the latter can turn out great there's no reason to universally look down on fanfiction. The bigger problem is that fanfiction writers are almost always amateurs who don't really know what they're doing, but even so, each work should be critiqued according to its own merits (or lack thereof).

16. Sky Farrow

Sky Farrow 天外之魔

Reading List:
    Link
    Fan fictions are just like Web novels. Few in quality but full of quantity.
    It takes a bit of digging to find good fan fiction... and the difficult part is that it might not be based on your favourite novel.

I have enjoyed some, but I disliked more.
    Sometimes its because of bad writing or grammar, sometimes it is plain ridiculous..

baka8roukanako likes this.
  17. StephenShadow

StephenShadow New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not a big fan of fanfica. Just because I am for the author’s fiction and not for the fan refinements. Especially after it became mainstream, after the advent of the Internet. I personally watched a lot of Broadway shows like here, and now I watch Korean cartoons. Tastes are not very constant. And what are the popular fan fiction now?

18. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't read fanfic because I don't like its authenticity. I felt like fanfics are the products of not wanting the story to go to the direction the author wanted.

19. vlue

vlue Jaded Isekai-Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes i like them, other times i'm screaming "No! That character isn't like that".

20. Crystal Crater

Crystal Crater Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OOC interpretations are the worst, especially when you can tell the author has a vendetta against a character and writes them horribly.

I love fanfics though. With a good series I often crave to spend more time with the characters and exploring the universe, and any fan derivative storytelling like fan fiction or films or comics is a great way to indulge in that. The best storytelling imo pushes the concept (someone already mentioned Methods of Rationality—I also remember reading an interesting one with Weeping Angels in the HP universe which can only happen in fan fiction)

Sturgeon’s Law applies. If you’re looking for something good Google in the show/movie/book/ship/etc and “fanfic rec” and you’ll find curated lists without having to wade through the crappy ones.

vlue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.