Discussion The Addition of "ba" in Translations

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ASplashOfMusic, Feb 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASplashOfMusic

ASplashOfMusic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some translators include "ba" in their English translations. "Ba" (I'm assuming) is 吧, which is equivalent to "right?" or "OK?"

I personally think it's funny or "acting cute", but I really don't understand why they add it to the text. For some things to not get lost in translation? Some people might not understand it, and they could use the English equivalent instead if it is contextually appropriate.

2. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you provide examples? I have yet to see this happen / dont remember any instance of this.

Blitz, lonelytree, Sky Farrow and 5 others like this.
  3. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    You are okay, right?

4. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    wut?

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  5. replay

replay ★Milk and Honey smelling Merchant★

Reading List:
    Link
    haven't seen one too. . .
    which title is this one?

ps: well i remember the translation, that the character has a lot of "hmmmmm" moments. . .

6. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Ba ba Black sheep, have you any wool?
    Yes sir yes sir, three bags full.

7. Madoqua

Madoqua Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmm, I actually appreciate it being added since I understand the meaning in Chinese. It delivers more of the original sentence and character than without it. However I can understand why for other people it looks weird. Personally I don't think there is an English equivalent for every situation, so I rather have ba.

8. nightcore34

nightcore34 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't really remember 'ba', think I've seen it a few times but not sure. The word I find weird is 'La'. Always you get a sentence like "its a great day, la". Like wtf does La mean?

Sky Farrow, Nom de Plume and Milanin like this.
  9. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Perhaps about your avi...
    Otherwise... Are you trying to say it's only used in certain translation groups of certain types of novels?

10. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    那就这样做吧。 it sounds okay
    我们去买衣服吧。sounds okay
    but an addition of ", okay?" is a pain in the ass

as well as the fact that the sentence becomes a question.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  11. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a malay/singapore thing, it could mean various things but in that instance, it's the same thing as "It's a good day eh"

12. Yukki576

Yukki576 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I admit guilty to being one of the translators who does it unless i can find an appropriate alternative for it (bless my editors)
    The word 'ba' doesnt have one specific meaning, it doesn't always mean 'right' or 'okay'. It's really more context based.

Example (i hope you can read chinese bc you're the one who brought this topic up lmao): 我们去那里吧 -> Let's go there (said in a suggestive way that isn't a question but also depends on the context whether it's a statement or a suggestion or a question which all in all doesn't really go through in english sometimes)

You can replace it with 'okay?' But then again it's veeeeeery context based.

Niang Niang likes this.
  13. Yukki576

Yukki576 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    吧 is admittedly one of the things i really dont want to see when i translate bc people do bring it up, so do my editors, and im just???? Im sorry but there really isnt an equivalent meaning for it??? If i did i would have done it already??? :')

This. This a malaysian/singaporean thing. This one can be removed, and its usually used in declarations? Then again it's a slang so it's also hard to define it, but on the other hand I dont really see this honestly. Can you give examples?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2019
    Niang Niang and nightcore34 like this.
  14. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    I like it because I feel like you get a stronger feel of the characters and how they are expressing themselves despite the language gap. Plus “ba” sounds like it could be said with a questioning tone (ba?) or with finality (ba.) or even excitement (ba!). In comparison I almost always visualize “okay” being said harshly or with sarcasm. So I guess for me I prefer the added tone, but I totally get that it can break immersion. I’ve heard a lot of English speakers insert their own random sounds so it doesn’t bother me as much.

So, I think it’s partially personal preference but largely a need to find an appropriate way to express the same tone in English. A good example is Naruto actually (even though he’s JP). Many characters in Naruto had a kind of “phrase” that was essentially just a speaking habit that made even less sense in English than “Ba”. Naruto himself does this as well with his “Dattebayo”. The way the dub handled it was to find a phrase with a similar number of syllables and mouth shape, thus “Believe it!” was born.

Blitz, Arexio, Sky Farrow and 3 others like this.
  15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm if you persisted long enuf and the series popular enuf
    it will be ok
    desu~ne?~
    19638.png
    aye yay dood~
    choco dance.gif

16. Diskat

Diskat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A verbal tic

17. nightcore34

nightcore34 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Two examples within the novel "Wipe clean after eating".

Example 1 - [Like magic, the expression in my mum’s eyes instantly turns friendly and laughs affectionately: “If you mess it up, then you mess it up la. No big deal as I will find other opportunity for you.”]

Example 2 - [Actually it is like that so no wonder mum came back so early and panting with rage! I shake my head firmly: “Of course, I am not willing la!]

18. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It heavily depends on context. I'll just paste this, taken from another site rather than any explanations I can give with my limited understanding and vocabulary to properly describe them.
    Hope that helps.

19. aocypher

aocypher Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would go canadian and translate it as "eh"

That's a joke, eh.

20. Karyehs

Karyehs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nani!?

Joke aside, for me it is super annoying to read untranslated words in a translation, just because the translator "feels there is no appropriate word in the desired language"... Really? I can understand it in a fan translation of a high school kid, but the moment somebody earns money from it ("donations", patreon, ads, paywall, etc) stuff like this has to go.

The only people who enjoy those words are people who have a certain knowledge of the original language or people who are so deep into the novel hole, that they are fine with MTLs anyway.

Lets face it, while most languages have good words for unique moods and situations, those moods and situations also exist in other languages. It makes no sense to just let untranslated words in it. I don't "feel" anything by some character saying "ba?" or "nani?" except maybe disgust and an urge to cringe hard enough to empty my bowels.

A translation shouldn't be word-for-word, but scene-by-scene. There may be exceptions, where you need to find the perfect words for a repeating catchphrase, but those words should still be in the translated language.

There are enough synonyms in most languages to tell most stories 5 times while making it sound like a new story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.