Discussion do u fantasize different endings for novels?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Tachi Works, Feb 21, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bikersmoke

Bikersmoke Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I will never finish a novel, so it always has the ending I want.

Tachi Works and Yabu like this.
  2. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't.. I mean, I guess I'm a real stickler for the canon. I feel like the ending is basically set in stone.

But, then, I've also just never really been thoroughly disappointed by an ending, so maybe I just haven't felt the need. The closest I've come to disappointment would be novels with endings that seem rushed, like Emperor of Solo Play's, or just too simple and anticlimactic, like Coiling Dragon's. But even in these cases, I wasn't truly disappointed. Instead, I was able to accept them, even appreciate them. ... Emperor of Solo Play's ending, as I said, was incredibly rushed. Even if the author wanted to skim through things at the ending, ten more chapters would have been necessary to thoroughly wrap things up. Instead, it's more like we got cliff notes and skipped a lot of the process. That said, while I wanted the details that were left out, and maybe a bit more, I could still appreciate the cliff notes. I was satisfied with the way the story ended, even if it was rushed.

Kuro_0ni and Tachi Works like this.
  3. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    I always fantasized Sevens so much of what would have happened during its imperial days or the war era after the fall of the empire, which is why I'm trying to gather a lot of info about the European wars and Roman Empire, the Chinese Empire and the Ottoman Empire for imperial harem references.

4. nightcore34

nightcore34 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    All the time, not just endings either. Sometimes I'll daydream the story in a different direction.

Rouzmary, Karyehs, Elkon and 2 others like this.
  5. Tachi Works

Tachi Works Not a very well known member

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL I do that a lot, if starting to get disappointing I give it my own ending and don’t read what author wrote

Bikersmoke likes this.
  6. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah sometimes I wish the novel didn't end where it did.
    Like if it ended at just the wedding, imagine what the couple would be like with a family.
    Then again sometimes I wish a novel didn't end so >.<"

7. Tachi Works

Reading List:
    Link
    true, sometimes i just boil down alot of novels i read into references for my fantasies, and make mish mashed stories in my head that include x concept from this novel with y characters from another, its interesting.

8. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    they warned me satan would be tempting

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2019
    Westeller likes this.
  9. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually don't do that for actual endings, but it has happened quite often for me with stories that disappointed me midway through the story instead.
    Though often it is more that I'm just using the story as a surrogate for trying out ideas for original stories.

Tachi Works likes this.
  10. Hegao

Hegao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't but sometimes when i binge read a novel then fall asleep i start dreaming about that novel reading them with new chapters lol.

Rouzmary likes this.
  11. Tachi Works

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow that’s happened to me, i once wasn’t sure if I read an update or dreamed it up during sleep

Rouzmary likes this.
  12. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm not for me, if 'twas a bad ending I just kinda erased it from my memories

13. insania

insania Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes, I do fantasize about different endings for some of the light novels I read. This applies to not just light novels though since I also do the same for some animes, mangas and even visual novels as well. Furthermore, I fantasize not only about different endings but also about what could possibly happen if the events occurred differently or if the characters chose to behave differently as well. This is especially so for series that either failed to live up to my expectations (specifically series which are horrible and received really low ratings from myself) and series that had unrealized potential (specifically series that are at least above average but could have been even better in my opinion).

Tachi Works likes this.
  14. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Never. I don't get so attached to endings that I try to come up with an alternative. The only semi-exception are the books with such abysmal endings that they outright ruin the entire novel.

15. insania

insania Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest, I think that most people who read books which have horrendously abysmal endings would either try to imagine better endings for those books or wish that they had never read those books in the first place. I am one of those who try to imagine more ideal endings when I read such books but I have also seen other people who say that they would not have read certain books if they had known in advance that those books would end horribly.

16. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Are there people who don't? And yeah, that's how fanfics came to be.

17. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    heck if it is "stealing" girls from yun che, I would not even classify it as ntr.

18. MrAconter

MrAconter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah i also do that as soon as i don´t agree with an ending i wont spoil what it is but if you read "A Monster Who Levels Up" then you will know what i mean.

19. novaes

novaes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have spent many nights lying awake, imagining different and better endings for stories I liked. I even do it when a character does something stupid and think: "well, what would I do?" . There are just so many times when I've been greatly disappointed by a story that I lose myself in thinking about it. When I was still in school I would just sleep in on the weekends, lying there thinking about the latest melancholic anime ending and whatnot.

Tried making my own stories to show them what's for, but I could never get past the premise. I'm, not a smart cookie.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    insania and Tachi Works like this.
  20. Ophious

Ophious Pathfinder kinda fun

Reading List:
    Link
    Not just novels but manga and anime's too
    For me I tend to imagine only small things like what if MC didn't kill that guy or if MC met that person earlier, small changes that drastically alter the universe later on
    it's fun trying to imagine what the possibilities are

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.