How would a trickster deceive someone without ever lying?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by vlue, Feb 27, 2019.

1. vlue

vlue Jaded Isekai-Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    So i just read a trope called Truthful Trickster, a trickster who won't or cannot lie, but are still very good at deceiving someone.

2. Cashew Farmer

Cashew Farmer Fastest horse in the land

Reading List:
    Link
    Without telling the whole truth. Or by telling the truth in a very misleading manner.

AliceShiki, asriu, kenar and 9 others like this.
  3. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    My Dog is a trickster too; He can make me take him out whenever he wants, and I can't see his lies from his truths, at all.

So maybe a truthful trickster has puppy eyes and a heartbreaking whine?

4. Bazikiller

Bazikiller Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    By exaggerating the truth to make it unbelievable, cuz it is technically not lying

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  5. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Omit certain parts of the story to deceive someone. That's how.

AliceShiki likes this.
  6. Freezy

Freezy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Think about summoned demons or even worse than that Lawyers, through wordplay and sophistry they can easily manipulate you using half truths.

Slayerwolfx2 and elengee like this.
  7. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't have to lie to someone to take advantage of them. Just becuase your telling the truth doesnt mean you are telling the whole story.

8. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    the best lie, is not the one you tell but the one that the other person piece on its own

AliceShiki, asriu, vlue and 4 others like this.
  9. IronValkyrie10126

IronValkyrie10126 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You tell them the truth, but not the specifics. You’re not lying to them you just aren’t telling them everything. Example: The princess, you want to save, is in X castle. Real Truth: The princess in x castle surrounded by an army and a dragon. Truer than all the others: That is it's the princess’s army. She is the leader of a rebellion, the dragon is her pet. She’ll kill you for trying to “rescue” her. Her father is trying to stop the rebellion by having you bring her to him.

AliceShiki, xiansho, vlue and 2 others like this.
  10. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    Fairly simple, actually.
    This. the best lies are those that start from assumptions. It's all about how the trickster tells the truth.
    and sometimes, truth is just so unbelievable that the person being told thinks it's a lie and thus tricks themselves into believing a lie.

It's why there is usually some version of 'the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth' oath in most legal systems. So that there is a risk to manipulating the truth in a legal case.

IronValkyrie10126 likes this.
  11. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    My first thought was for the trickster to be overly honest, so much so to the point where you want to force them to believe something so it will have the opposite effect.

That said,
    This one is my favorite.

Edit: I also saw that a lot of people said the same thing just in different wording...

12. Viken

Viken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Language is a means of communicating with others. But languages are the product of civilizations, and just like humans no civilization is perfect. This means the 'interpretation' of language is left up to everyone personally, but the flip side of that coin is that any language will have loopholes in it that can change the meaning by the one using it in the first place.

This double issue is why it is possible to both misrepresent 'the truth' as well as its meaning to the people involved. Rather that's the ambiguity, omission, outright lying or other such tactics. Not to mention leading discussions that keep the audiences attention on a different or lesser subject than what would otherwise point toward the whole truth.

Such things are more easy for those with smooth social skills and con-men though. Heh. I'm nowhere near that confident in social situations myself.

13. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    An apple fell and made Newton come up with the law of gravity, so a trickster in this case may go take that apple and invite Newton in front of people and in an atempt to deceive them he or she might say something like this:
    "This apple here is a special one, by the will of god it fell in front of mr Isaac here who was in distress to show him a revelation and illuminate his and our future, this apple here ladies and gentlemen is a holy apple that came in a time of need to save mr Isaac here and to show us the way of the world, whoever buy this apple now to receive the benevolence of god" Well or at least something ike that.
    Years later, he or she will probably be hailed as the savior of the origin of the law :blobowoevil::blobsweat_2:

14. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    Simply tell the truth directly as short facts and let the other person draw conclusions on their own. You dont have to mislead them, they mislead themselves. They will believe what they want regardless, you just have to ensure it lines up with what you want them to do

Wujigege and vlue like this.
  15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    My best type is when you lead people on to make conclusions themselves
    Instead of outright giving them directions
    Suggestions if you will
    just like subliminal messaging

16. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lie becomes truth and illusions become real.

17. Sugaminny

Sugaminny Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ^This and
    Silence is also very important, rather than saying the truth or misleading people directly, staying silent and letting people make their own conclusions is very powerful.