Am I getting too picky?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Felmon, Jan 31, 2019.

?

Am I being to picky or is quality going down?

Poll closed Feb 7, 2019.
  1. Way too picky

11.8%
  2. What quality??

44.1%
  3. Been the same for years.

44.1%
  4. It’s Not that bad

11.8%
  5. Translator choice

17.6%
  6. Just appreciate anything is being translated

8.8%
  7. It’s been fine for me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    You're not picky, it's just you've got tired of the cliche's that CN series usually uses

2. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than picky, it's probably oversaturation. When there was so few, they were fresh. When there was too many, they became boring.

3. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    would you like to learn about the lord and saviour filter system?

i much like you used to be a lowly pleb scrolling through the release pages looking for a new fix only to find yaoi novel after yaoi novel. then i descovered the glorious Filter-sama!

Rouzmary likes this.
  4. Felmon

Felmon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is quite the coincidence becuase not ten minutes ago I discovered it’s purity. I have had the account for nearly four years and have failed to see its holiness. I have failed myself

5. kyzer

kyzer ⚠The Rebellion Stalker⚠

Reading List:
    Link
    I use filter Sama long time ago when it being introduced by Tony due to the rage of the masses toward Qui at the peak that time. But recently quite many of my reading list novel got hiatus or getting slower release thus the search for new novel to read started. So I just like a hungry fish in the vast ocean of NU always getting trick by that interesting clickbait titles that end up to be yaoi.

6. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    yes but you can filter yaoi from the list, like the entire genre

7. kyzer

kyzer ⚠The Rebellion Stalker⚠

Reading List:
    Link
    Already done that few days a go. I just want tell my pityful experience before I using it. The reason I haven't use it because iirc the first time it introduce it only filter translator group (or I just focus at translator group only and theres no need to filter other thing that time)

8. alexsandro22

alexsandro22 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    really too picky i suppose, but nothing bad

9. minteaxo

minteaxo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you read the first few ones, of course it'll get to your attention at first.
    But most of them are similar like they're just changing the content not the base, so you might think its boring afterwards.

SilvaLau likes this.
  10. De Lan

De Lan Smartass from blue planet

Reading List:
    Link
    Yess...The first time i know Wuxia/Xianxia etc. Novel, it was so good, even i can't drop it, just keep reading even thought i need to prepare for a headache to see MTL

11. honglath

honglath I miss my PC

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, you're picky. Most of us are. There's plenty of stuff to read, but we're limited by our means to getting access to it and our desire to find that perfect something that doesn't quite exist.
    Maybe you're burnt out... Take a break from reading, think less, go out, be an animal. The mind needs rest occasionally.

12. Rouzmary

Rouzmary Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm thinking it's a bit of everything (as usual):

You might be too picky - since you've probably read a lot of novels. The more we get to know of something, the more refined/singular our tastes become, and those novels considered gems which brought is into this to begin with are rare indeed. Not many can pique our interest anymore.

Too many choices - these past years with internet/webnovels it does indeed feel like there are soooooo many novels to read, that in all that mass it's quite difficult to find the ones that appeal to ones senses/interests.

Similar plots - part of too many choices & the internet availability. Since now practically anyone can be become a webnovel writer and post his/hers story for everyone to read, there are (as always) thousands of stories of similar plots/designs & what not, that in itself is not a problem, the problem is that they feel too generic and not many writers manage to present an already know story-line in a way that it feels refreshing/intriguing. Kinda also part of too picky.

Availability - and the biggest obstacle to those of us who need the novels to be translated - even if there are those thousands of novels available for us, we simply can't truly get access to them for we won't understand a word, therefore, we gotta rely on the translators and the novels they've chosen to work on. And from that already considerably smaller pool, we can just hope to find something that appeals to us.

But like @honglath already said - those of us who have read a lot of novels are also more or less picky, each with our own tastes, and it becomes harder to find something that truly grabs our attention.
    And it does indeed help to take a break and do smt else for a while and then come back to reading, then you'll have a look at the novels with fresh eyes and might indeed find smt to your liking, despite thinking otherwise before.
    Burnouts are not good at all.
    And really, this applies to any kind of ummm, hobby, lifelong obsession? XD be it novels, manga, books, anime, drama etc. Too much of the same in a row is not good, breaks/change are a must ;)