Spoiler Why Are You Doing This, Duke?

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by lazynoodles, Mar 3, 2019.

1. lazynoodles

lazynoodles Softie for Villainess & BL

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]
    Description: “My sweet songbird– my eternal love – Don’t make such a sad face. When my little songbird gets sad, it feels like my entire world is raining.”
    The Duke, known to many as the grim reaper, “Rowan Peruka”. He, the very person who was about to chop off my head last month, managed to become my husband?! He took me in not as a second or third wife, but as the first?!! I’d love it if this was true love, but this is all thanks to a mysterious magic spell. And the magic spell’s power has been weakening to boot–!
    A marriage with a bipolar(?) husband where your own life is at stake.
    Official link: http://lasolistia.com/haruparty/projects/why-duke/
    Raws Link: https://funbe.xyz/왜-이러세요-공작님

- I can't tell of the Duke is coming to like her or not. Also, What is up with that blonde girl thats around the Duke??? I'm so confused.
    - Go support HaruParty

2. Spoiler Curator

Spoiler Curator Hi , Click Edit and Edit My Posts

Reading List:
    Link

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

***TOC reflects spoiler thread up to pg. 14, Post #266 as of Oct 11, 2021***

Table of Contents (TOC)

How to get the Novel

• Purchase on Google Play: 왜 이러세요, 공작님! [1] [2] [3]
      Highlight text and click translate option once purchased

3 Vol COMPLETE / [Main Story] 78 Chs / [Side Stories] 40 Chs
    • Novel licensed in english by Tapas.
      Chapters can be unlocked each 3h for free,buying coins or watching ads

MTL / Summaries (somewhat in order)
    [c/o feliciabeel, veilan91, ashc00, scriptor, Folly, chax412, Iqies, Elen, eamxu, Wookie9656, Elen, dahlhoney, AidenF]

Manhwa Summary

Novel MTL

General Spoilers
    [c/o lazynoodles, Fantasy-Magician, dahlhoney]

Love Spell Questions
    Other Questions

TOC: @Le_Tired

Spoiler Table of Contents Placeholder

Table of Contents
    • Chapter 100 spoiler
    • Chapter 250 spoiler
    Anyone is able to edit this post with an account. Please edit this post to link to spoilers in this thread as you find them. You are free to edit and remove anything within this post, including this placeholder text.

For more information, please visit: https://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/new-spoiler-plugin-for-the-forums.114103/

Last edited: Sep 5, 2023
    syane, VelvetColors and hongmeowpanda like this.
  3. Dragon_Reader

Dragon_Reader Humans just don't taste as good as books \( ̄ハ ̄)

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh dear, so he doesn't like her for 'her' but due to some spell and now the spell is weakening? I hate such type of story lines! Please please please tell me that this 'spell' is fake and it's just MC's low esteem making things up?

4. lazynoodles

Reading List:
    Link
    No it’s an actual spell and from what I see she’s trying to understand it more. Since, it’s the only thing that her mother left behind for her. She only activated it by accident to escape execution. An execution she didn’t deserve since it was her father and his first wife who committed all the crimes in the first place. They used her as scape goat. Now on top of his unsure feelings - she isn’t completely sure about hers. She seems to waffle from being hurt, to jealous, and feeling guilty since she knows he only likes her due to the spell. It doesn’t help that from time he attempts to kill her.

5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, it's like being married to a yandere. :blobsweat:
    One moment he wants to take u in his arms, while attempting to lop off ur head the next instant. :blobunsure::blobawkward:

6. lazynoodles

Reading List:
    Link
    That’s pretty much the vibe I’m getting from the raws.

BrightShinningAura and otaku31 like this.
  7. otaku31

Reading List:
    Link
    I read the scanlated chs., and I must say it was a bit different from what I expected. The Duke seems like a cold-blooded killing machine; even the servants weren't spared.

And did her family escape? The bait part feels incredulous. I mean, since the Empire set out to exterminate rebels, shouldn't it hv found out their details first? While I can understand MC's family taking this opportunity to get rid of an unwanted burden(, i.e., her), her family also shouldn't be able to escape execution. No one in their right minds would believe the MC to be the only culprit in a nobles' family. So, is the MC's family being hunted down?

The Duke's endearment for the MC- little birdie, feels creepy, and yet perfectly reflects her situation/dilemma. To be trapped under someone's power, longing to fly away. I hope she can escape from his clutches, (mentally) unscathed, and live life the way she's always wanted, wear cute dresses, be courted, marry and be loved the way she wants to be. Where's the second ML when u need him? Is it the blonde ponytail guy?

Poor MC, after all she's been through, I truly wish she finds the happiness she deserves, but hopefully, not with the Duke.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  8. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you. But according to the rules of manga/manwha crazy guy is probably who shes gonna end up with

9. Evelyn Guz

Evelyn Guz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I eant to know who is the blonde girl

10. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    Girl? Thought he was another nobleman. Possible another love interest?

I won't have a problem if he still continues to really and genuinely loves her in the end. Without the spell.

I can already see the ships forming...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2021
    RakaSarkar likes this.
  11. Evelyn Guz

Evelyn Guz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm reading the raws, and there is a blonde girl, and there is that blonde ponytail guy, he seems to be ploting something with mc or against the duke

RakaSarkar likes this.
  12. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    If her family escaped, it will be another kettle of fish. I don't think it will be pretty. Especially if you count social and political implications.

Re:ML knowing the details. About the MC? She's a bastard. He might or he might not. But I don't think her existence as a member of that family is not initially important. Bastard children are usually ignored.

Here we go again. I think you should avoid this manga if you want that particular end scenario.

O man. Love square?

I'm calling it.

-ML will be nailed to the cross coz he was a bad man and bad man don't deserve anything else but bad ending. Don't bother with giving the guy screentime or dialog.
    -MC will be paired to another guy who is basically your typical knight in shining armor.
    -the blonde girl is a villainess and that's it. Again don't bother with the dialog lines and the scenes with her. Better if less screen time.
    -MC will not live in poverty or struggle coz that is bad aka ruins the story.
    -MC will never have a problem coz all she need is a guy, just not the ML.
    -There will be no social or political consequences coz those things don't matter. MC being illegitimate and a duke's wife is just unnecessary background.

I wonder which one's will come true. /halfs

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2021
    midnight reader and otaku31 like this.
  13. otaku31

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree.
    I think we r not quite on the same wavelength. :blobsweat:

Ofc, I know MC is an important figure. And that she was doomed to die bcuz of her blood ties. But what I'm more concerned with is the validity of the scenario where an illegitimate, powerless child is used as a bait/scapegoat/ruse in an attempt to hoodwink the Duke. It makes more sense to believe she was merely thrown away rather than used as a diversion.

If ur going to storm a castle/manor, shouldn't u know relevant details of it's key inhabitants? Their descriptions, the family tree, the pecking order? Didn't the Duke hv any informers? What about the Empire's intel? Shouldn't capturing the influential members be prioritized here?

Was the Duke even aware that the big fish had already escaped? If he was, wouldn't it hv been better to just let the castle be surrounded by some of his men while personally setting off to chase them with, say, some fast riders? How much was the time gap? Were they even being pursued? I mean, their heads r obviously more valuable than that of the MC's. Was the MC not questioned about her family's possible whereabouts? It's all too abrupt, too vague. All I saw was the Duke and his men bursting into the castle and trying to execute "small-fry" MC (well, compared to the rest of her family, anyway). Pretty inefficient/careless of a man entrusted with such heavy responsibility. Atleast, that's the impression I got.

I know it's unlikely, but u never know what might happen. I just don't want her to end up with someone who slaughters indiscriminately.

Sure, some servants could hv been close confidants of the family, but they might hv already left. I also know it's more convenient to simply kill off everyone to prevent some fish slipping thru. But most servants, I believe, r commoners who r just trying to earn a living. Surely they were not involved in any political intrigue. They r prolly innocents. I wouldn't trust a man who could order the death of innocents.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  14. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    Re second answer. Re:validity.
    It's valid. MC was likely not introduced into society so no knows her outside of the estate. But I call doubt on being hoodwinked. I don't think there are prospects for her unless she is forced into a marriage. And I have yet to find a Duke willing to be hoodwinked by a rebel lord to a girl with no name (in a social sense). I think he wilaugh at the prospect and kill everyone anyway.maybe she was being thrown away to her doom. Assuming the family escaped, she will only be the only casualty that the family would rather forget.

Most likely the Duke has spies inside the household. Servants are easier to send as spies since they know the layout of the castle while keeping a low profile.
    It depends on what will be revealed or if it will be revealed at all. Most likely the Duke has a spymaster working with him.

I think the attack was a surprise one. Probably the 1st scene is a strategy the author used to have the characters meet.
    You're overeaching here. Duke doesn't know that MC is a small fry. He doesn't need MC to be a small fry. As long as she is a member of the family. That is what count.

3rd response.
    We'll see if this characteristic holds true for the rest of the story.

Most servants are innocent but usually end up collateral damage if their lord rebels. Servants are dispensable and tied to the family and if they disobey the family might kill them for their silence. Bad place overall. Some servants may also hold power especially if they also are confidants of the noble family.

15. Solistia

Solistia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Glad you guys are enjoying the webtoon so far!

For those wondering just how effective the spell is, or whether the Duke might actually like her despite the spell,
    Chapter 4 we get to see Mr Hot n Cold's cold side come out in force. Sword pulled out in the bedroom and everything~

16. otaku31

Reading List:
    Link
    U misunderstood. Maybe I'm bad at explaining. Using the MC's presence in the house to mislead the Duke/spies (hence, bait) into thinking that the rest of the family was also present when they had already fled (this was MC's father's strategy, I believe) was a flawed, even stupid ploy that would only hv worked had the Duke's intel been really poor. But it apparently works, since the "surprise attack" seemingly failed. That's why I said it feels incredulous.

The value of all members is not the same. I called the MC small fry cuz, apart from her blood relationship to the family, she wields no other influence. She possesses the least threat. Executing her would earn merit, but that's all. It wouldn't be remotely helpful in eradicating the family's roots/future. Cuz, the ringleader (MC's father) and his legitimate family (his legal heirs/spouse), those who committed the crimes, who wield true power and would inherit the family's mantle, r still at large, and they might possibly be a threat (from the POV of the Empire, anyway) in the future. Wonder why the Duke didn't go after them first. I guess it was more important to meet MC first and advance the romance/plot. :blobsmirk:

About killing of the servants, I know it's an expedient measure. Doesn't mean it's the only way. Many of the lower servants would not be privy to any secrets. They may simply be employed from the villages nearby to help run the manor. Like I said, just common people struggling to live and eat. If the Duke had enuf authority to spare a traitor, i.e, the MC, heck, even marry her, dealing leniently with the servants would hv been a piece of cake. It would hv taken a bit more effort to find out whether/how much they were culpable (if they were guilty at all) and deal with them accordingly, rather than killing them off at one fell swoop. Makes me wonder whether the Duke values human lives.

P.S. Can't type anymore. I'll stop here. :blobtired::blobtired::blobtired:

17. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Doesn't the duke kill babies too. I think he just likes killing people

BrightShinningAura likes this.
  18. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont know. Not enough backstory. Would be interester to know this bloodyhirstyness is part of his personality or something happened in the past.

19. Kittsune

Kittsune Just your everyday Lurking Fox

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm getting lost amongst the comments. Its kinda hard to tell if this thread is now a discussion thread or a spoiler thread.

BrightShinningAura likes this.
  20. kiara8

kiara8 Lurking

Reading List:
    Link
    Since there’s no spoilers we are discussing it rn