Discussion Dense protagonists.

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Maraderchik, Mar 6, 2019.

?

Do we really need such sub-genre in novels?

1. Yes. It's so adorable, kyaa~

25.4%
  2. No. This is retarded to unbelievable degree.

74.6%
  1. Maraderchik

Maraderchik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Where did authors get the idea, that "Dense protagonist" is a good thing? Isn't it more annoying to watch your beloved MC just being full retard when it comes to love or romantic situation for a whole novel, and in rarest cases he's found that gir(s) or boy(s) like him and react to it appropriately.

So, maybe there any people who's really like this 'genre' in novels and if so, then why did you like this?

Ancelton and Sabruness like this.
  2. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not that they want a dense protagonist, it's more like they want a harem. And a dense protagonist is the easiest way to achieve a harem. Even more so if the protagonist is morally good. But as long as they remain dense, the harem members can just keep on coming.

Ancelton and StuffedDuck like this.
  3. TianKrea

TianKrea 『Novice』

Reading List:
    Link
    That's the main reason why I don't read Japanese Novels.

Ancelton and (deleted member) like this.
  4. BigBadBoi

BigBadBoi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno, if they create a good reason for the denseness of the MC and they write it nicely I'm fine with it.(example: Naofumi with the PTSD because of the bitch so he doesn't consider a romantic relationship with females)

Ancelton, kenar and Sabruness like this.
  5. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    My personal opinion is that it is stupid.
    Half the time it’s a bunch of girls liking a guy. He’s dense. So in the end he doesn’t even get with any of them. Yet people still love reading it. I don’t understand that~

6. araarq

araarq Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it depends on how its written. In Master’s smile , i feel its done well because the MC views all of his guild members as his daughters, and its funny how dense he is to his own power
    Edit :this series https://www.novelupdates.com/series/masters-smile/

7. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because the protagonist, unlike you, the reader, isnt omnipotent. He can't literally see the thoughts of every other person close to him, and he doesnt know he is the main character of a romance novel. Idk about you, but when i were that age i didnt consider every person of the female gender i met to be a potential love interest.

Sure, some mc's in some novels are terribly stupid concerning any kind of relationship (and, there are people like that irl as well, so), but mostly i'd say it's pretty normal not to notice that someone loves you, unless they explicitly states it or drop some really, really heavy hints, and people really overexaggerate how many mc's are actually ''dense''. Especially when, like in novels/mangas/anime, so many of the damn girls are either full on tsunderes or too embarrased to ever actually go properly on the offensive.

Also, most of the romcom mc's are awkward teenagers, so there's that as well. Back when you were that age, you wouldnt want to think someone liked you, just for it to be a misunderstanding, aye?

Edit: and just to actually answer your question about why authors write mc's like that, instead of say, some master seducer, it's because they want the character to be relatable to the average Japanese reader (and they probably don't go around humping every girl withing reach). If they wanted a master seducer where people could self insert, they'd make a doujin.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Risus, madmanthan21, thepope and 3 others like this.
  8. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    simple, if the mc acted on the fact that there are girls literally throwing themself at him, the novel would be R-18 intead of PG-13 that most are, and everyone knows that PG-13 is where the money is

kenar and Toralk like this.
  9. Fahmfir

Fahmfir Beginner Town NPC

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    That's roaming into the 'true harem' vs 'fake harem' debate. Dense protags usually are fake harems because there's no actual relationship. Besides that, dense harem as a short beginning trope (like Magika where the denseness was only the first Vol) can be good. Continuous denseness is the bad type and can be maddening.

+1 to this. DXD is also a good example of the trope done well in a similar way to Shield Hero.

11. animestar411

animestar411 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Like I am find with some dense protagonist but most of them are so dense to the point of impossible. If you r dense about the fact that there are people make moves on you that's fine. But being dense even after being confessed to...you really need to get your brain check

Toralk likes this.
  12. Maraderchik

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, don't consideration and denseness is very different in this particular case.

13. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as it's written properly and it is fun to read. If it's get annoying just abandon the story.

14. Maraderchik

Reading List:
    Link
    Why it's need to be r-18? It's can be low romance instead of just unintentionally friendzoning someone for no reason.

15. rijimon17

rijimon17 Hope you can read the words

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's something the authors put on there novels themselves then it's probably because there aiming for that kind of audience. If your asking why it's on novel updates. Then it would be there so people who dont want "dense protagonist" can filter them out.

16. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yoshii Akihisa is a loveable idiot. He justifies the genre in and of himself, not to mention some other favorite works of mine. You don't have to particularly like the character as much as what they do for the series.

17. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    Visual novels and ero doujin is the place for non-dense main characters.

kenar likes this.
  18. MrAconter

MrAconter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have to admit that most times i can see myself in these types of MC since i also am Dense as fuck in these situations.

19. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    R-15

20. sgrey

sgrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, the authors probably got it from real life. If you think about it there was at least one or two dense moments in your life, or someone you know. However, the authors make it so dumb, that it lacks all kinds of common sense. For example, there are some novels when the girls actually confess or kiss the guy, and he is still wondering what it meant. I try to avoid these type of novels now, because my brain cells die out at a faster rate when I read them

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019