How to convince my parents to let me learn martial arts?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Blazingprincess, Mar 7, 2019.

1. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    I've never learnt any martial art but I also have never lost a fight. My parents scolded me to stop beating toddlers and infants, but a fight is still a fight.

2. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    I got punched in the face and walked away. So morally, yes, I did win. In reality, probably not. Though the other guy did get suspended. The same thing actually happened again with a girl. She also got suspended. WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE TO PUNCH ME SO MUCH!?

Never punched a person in my life. Probably never will. I'm kind of a pacifist. And though my pops wanted me to take up boxing, I refused.

Capsize, kenar, UnGrave and 1 other person like this.
  3. Capsize

Capsize Would you like to be isekai’d? ψ(`∇´)ψ

Reading List:
    Link
    Just tell them it's what you want and will work hard for it, for exercise, discipline, health and/or self-defense.

If they refused, ask them to buy taser or mace (spray or bludgeon, either one is fine). :blobpeek:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  4. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    kill your master first. Only by that you have proven yourself.
    And first thing first work out. You have to be buff enough to learn hamon.

SolInvictus likes this.
  5. abewan

abewan 〘Nishikigoi Dungeon〙

Reading List:
    Link
    Just do it. It's not like you're doing anything bad.

GH111 likes this.
  6. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    Either Martial Arts or Shut in Nerd. Tell them to pick one.
    :blobspearpeek::blobspearpeek::blobspearpeek::blobtaco::blobtaco::blobtaco:

LeakLeaf, Meloman and xiansho like this.
  7. Ilisle

Ilisle Lord of the Northern Guards

Reading List:
    Link
    Man, you really got a troublesome family, or you just got alot of needs, or it's just me. according to the last time i saw your posts...
    But well, let's see.

First of all, avoid saying martial arts. - it just strengthens i quote
    Be more specific by saying, judo, karate, teakwondo, muay thaï, boxing, etc...

Second, you can say it helps you keep yourself healthy, be in shape. (Yoga is a sport too calm)

Third, you can say you have anger issues/have a compulsion and you need to hit/attack/hurt something to calm yourself (self control)

Fourth, To improve your CV (Employment)

Fifth, to get to know more friends (social life)

Sixth, just ask your parents what it would take to for them to let you learn martial arts. (make a deal)

etc....

8. Lazy Bookworm

Lazy Bookworm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lots of things can begin on a whim or an impulse. Doesn't automatically make it a bad idea. Martial arts are very good for your health and fitness. Also good for instilling self-discipline. Do some research, find out what is offered in your area, how much lessons are, and make a short list of the best choices. A lot of places also give you a free or discounted trial period. Then talk with your parents. Makes you look like you've put actual thought in to it.

Capsize likes this.
  9. kcao1199

kcao1199 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you do exceptionally well, it may help you with future prospect. I had a friend who did taekwondo and competed nationally and then later went into becoming a referee. It was an interesting characteristic that potentially got her into college.
    Like previous other people have said, it also benefits your health greatly and is a great source of discipline.

Capsize likes this.
  10. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Get a boyfriend who knows martial arts and let him fight for you. :aww:

SeiraJLoyard and SolInvictus like this.
  11. Omnicast

Omnicast Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ask them if they think the world is a dangerous place. Ask them if not being trained would protect you better than having training (if they say not being trained wouldn't matter vs a gun you slap them. Hard). Say training helps build a foundation for core strength and confidence. Also gives a better fighting chance in a bad situation.

Take multiple martial arts and see what sticks. Don't just think Karate is great and call it a day.

If they still say no. Get a job earn money and make your own choices. Also don't get regular pepper spray or a taser. Get a Pepper Spray gun. I saw this and thought it's interesting. Might be better than a taser.

OH and DON'T EVER TURN YOUR BACK ON THE ENEMY ONCE HE OR SHE IS DOWN! Continue to injury until disabled. Don't be like all the retards in movies/comics/stories that turn their back on his/her assailant and get screwed over in the end. Disable and call for help while keeping an eye on the enemy. :blobowoevil_horns:

12. SolInvictus

SolInvictus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Part 2 or my long winded advice. In addition to all the stuff I said above - strenuous physical exercise is a great stress relief. When I was struggling with depression in university my university provided an elderly psychiatrist who told me to take up kickboxing... Rather than trying to psychoanalise everything she said it's a good way to let out all the little twisted frustrations rolling around in your head.

Tack on good sleep, regular hangouts with good people, and a balanced diet and that gives you the 4 pillars of battling everyday depression and anxiety.

It's not a complete cure but, it really helps a lot. I'd put forward that case to your folks after first showing some effort. Otherwise you'll come off as incincere.

I don't know you or your folks but, it sounds like they think you're a frivolous dude. Words are unlikely to convince them. Work out for 30 days straight then talk to them again. Get a job. Help out around the house. It's less important to convince your parents you have integrity and more important to know it yourself. Start changing and eventually you won't need anyone's permission to pursue your goals. You'll just be a dude who gets shit done.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
  13. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Self taught, use internet to learn from documents and videos how to do martial art, in this modern age chose move sets that do the most harm damage to enemies and the fastest way to disable them. I suggest Krav Maga, they incorporate mundane tool and lethal one in their martial art.

Meloman likes this.
  14. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Taking marital arts is no different than joing a soccer team or basket ball club. Ask thm if they would stop you from joining on of them and then ask why. What’s wrong with beig interested in martial arts because of something that was read in a novel??
    Just keep in mind the things read in novels will 99.7% of the time not happen, ever. Don’t say it’s for self defense, but because it’s a fun thing to do and it will help broaden your horizons. Also, hand them $50, if you quit after 2 months, they can keep it, if not, then they half to return it

15. SolInvictus

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha not suspicious at all

16. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Tell them that you will use it to expend all your excess energy instead of dating :blobamused:

Meloman likes this.
  17. SolInvictus

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not solid advice. The biggest factor in becoming a decent fighter is experience. Practicing alone in your room will just give you confidence with no actual skill. It's also likely to give you many poor habits because so much of your body is involved.

You need frequent sparring to become any good in a real fight. Real enemies won't be as accommodating .

As Mike Tyson said "everybody has a plan till they get punched in the mouth".

Real fights are sudden, umplanned, and scary. They happen while you're listening to music or loling at party. They're not always 1 on 1 and you usually don't know you're in a fight until you get hit a few times.

If you've never dealt with real random ass people before, you wontwbe able to use any of your skills before getting whooped.

Reima and Meloman like this.
  18. Adislt2

Adislt2 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are two possibilities why your parents refuse your request imo ( in assumption your family is wealthy enough to spare money into something else outside of basic necessities )
    First your attitude and track record, maybe your parents see with how you ask them and your attitude and track record so far, your request of martial art class is just a sudden impulse and more likely you will quit in the middle and waste the money and time
    Second your choice of martial art or image of martial art in your parents opinion is bad, because some parents still in stigma or perception that martial arts are just used for violence and have no benefit to children future that make them reluctant to allow their children learn martial art

SolInvictus and Meloman like this.
  19. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, if you are not old enough, still in your teens, list out to them any potential dangers around you or the news about assault and such to let them know the importance of self-defence

If you are old enough to decide for yourself, just go with it. I joined karate in polytechnic and almost got a black belt. For me, i joined karate in polytechnic (17yrs old)

However whether you are able to persevere or not depends on you. (I quit just b4 reaching black.:blobsweat:)

SolInvictus likes this.
  20. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Tell them you saw a system-like window pop up from seeing a martial arts manual, which you could use to raise your stats and ungraded your techniques using the free points you get from completing quests assigned by the system.

Anyway, tell them you wish to exercise and martial art could also let your body exercise and also help you get some abilities to atleast not lose a fight in time of emergency.

SeiraJLoyard and SolInvictus like this.