Discussion Gender-Bender Association

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ohko, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohko

ohko 【LGBTQ+ association】 【ohko is ohko!】

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, this one sounds really familiar! I can't remember where I saw the title though!

Thanks for the reminder! :blobhug:

2. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't exactly call myself a gender-bender fan, but I have read a few of these novels recently, and they were quite good. The really good ones were For a Prosperous World and Moscow in Flames (燃烧的莫斯科). Both of these are historical novels that do something quite unique.

The first is a story about a man who transmigrates into the body of a woman in the Kingdom of Qin in 260 BCE and proceeds to tell her story all the way to the present day. It's a highly mood-based story that centers around the loneliness that an immortal person would experience after living hundreds of years and seeing all of her loved ones die. This book has a surprisingly powerful emotional core.

The second is a story about a middle-aged businessman who transmigrates into the body of a woman soldier in the Red Army during World War II. It covers all manner of war related subjects in exquisite detail. It has the major battles that you'd expect, but also all manner of strategy, tactics, doctrine and command and control. Instead of making the protagonist some sort of super soldier, she is a commander and her most important weapons are a pair of binoculars and a field telephone.

I also read a story about a woman transmigrating into the body of a man; this one is mostly about the life of scholars in Imperial China and how the different Imperial Examinations work. The last is a story that's largely a reimagining of the legend of Hua Mulan where a woman pretends to be a man and joins the army. These latter two are decent but not nearly as good as the first ones. Of these, only "For a Prosperous World" has been translated, and that translation is still very early.

ohko likes this.
  3. ohko

Reading List:
    Link
    Gyoza and SilvaLau like this.
  4. al-lilia

al-lilia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really don't know why this association was not a thing sooner.

Ehh, for starter, I recommended everyone give "A Wild Last Boss Appeared" a read. Normally as a heavy GB fan I'm into more kinkier stuff but the amount of intrigue and fantasy elements in this novel kept me reading, plus it had a really cool and smart protagonist.

Tpst, Moonpearl and ohko like this.
  5. Coler

Coler Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well besides a “Reincarnated vampire wants to take an afternoon nap”
    I can suggest you to search for “Kenja no Deshi”
    “After transformation, mine and her willd Fantasy”—this one here beats all the mangas and novels seen and read so far. I recommend you all to read it. The novel is way better.

ohko likes this.
  6. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally forgot, but I think a friend of mine wanted me to pass a recommendation onto you all~!
    It's NSFW, and you'll have to Google the name if you want to read it (I can't link it because I don't know where to find it outside of aggregators), but its name is "Onnayu ni kirikawarimasu! | Switched to the Women's Bath!".
    I had a read out of curiosity, and it's a surprisingly cute manga short?

Also, for anyone who doesn't already know, the Yuri Garden includes both gender bender yuri and futanari yuri (defined as futa x fem and futa x futa) in the yuri we discuss.
    We also have a Recommendation Directory, which lists almost every piece of yuri media mentioned in the Garden. Many of the sections have gender bender and futanari as separate lists, and for those that don't (such as the Western Webnovels section), it will be mentioned next to the entry.
    I'm of course mentioning this to say: help yourself to it!

ohko likes this.
  7. ohko

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I was looking around trying to figure out where moonpearl had posted this rec, and turns out it was here! :blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2::blobsweat_2:

Well at least I found it! Thank you!

Moonpearl likes this.
  8. SilvaLau

SilvaLau Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    By the way, anyone tried reading "I Chose to Fake My Death"?

Even though I like gender-bender, that one is definitely an out for me. I can't make sense of anything going on in that series.

The protagonist is a sissy and gets bullied often, he also got punched by his father probably due to his attitude. He wished to be a girl only because he had the mind that everything will be fine if he's a girl, he never tried to do anything to make his life better, he just WISHES to be a girl because they get pampered and stuffs.

A random person then pops into his room when he is crying and said she'll turn him into a girl, he agreed without second thoughts. He didn't even stop to think where she came from, who is she, what will she gain from this, etc.

I've honestly never read a story this badly written right from the get-go. Everything going on in the series just makes no sense to me...

Coler and ohko like this.
  9. ohko

Reading List:
    Link
    I clicked on it as well to take a peek, but yeah I also had trouble sticking through it. :blobsweat:

There are definitely some really crazy gender-bender stories on the CN sites though.

I find it kind of hard to find one that I like.

10. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Dominion's End is really good :3 female-to-male. I read it more for the zombies though, so I'm not sure where it'll go with the gender identity.

mir and ohko like this.
  11. ohko

Reading List:
    Link
    :cookie::cookie::cookie: ...by any chance would you have more recs?

Sorry, was looking through old posts and only saw this now. XD

Moonpearl likes this.
  12. jingsen

jingsen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Warded, interested to see any novels that i missed that have a well written gender bender story.

13. SilvaLau

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yes, what can you tell me about After Transformation? After reading all the reviews there, I'm kind of put off and haven't considered picking it up.

14. Coler

Coler Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    >[After transformation mine and he wild fantasy]
    My opinion:
    I started to read it when I was looking for gender bender novels. At first I though that the prologue was pretty bad( u know, a MC finding himself in the middle of the nowhere without any memory or knowledge of where or what is happening to him) but once I got out of the prologue everything started to become very great. I beve me a sense of curiosity on how would the story progress afterwards. The MC and other characters were amazing. I mean the author didn’t only gave life to the characters, he breathed perfect living personalities onto them. Managing to give us the readers something to laugh at. The fan service is also good for children since it doesn’t go deep into ecchi stuff, rather than be bold the MC is pure and innocent virgin.
    It’s like a world were people level up and learn magic , furthermore the plot is serious and acceptable. I mean the MC wants to uncover the truth behind himself and why he split into two different genders.
    If Tyre and Lunaria were put into an anime they would gain the attention of the audience very easily.
    —Why??? What do I like about that???
    Well, the characters are like weaklings who later on become strong and shock us with the new level of power they obtain. The screen time is absolutely acceptable. This is the perfect Gender Bender adventure + Action + Comedy + Harem.

What do you want more than a MC living as a boy and girl altogether and facing difficulties.
    (Man my Explanation was too long damn it)

ohko likes this.
  15. Gyoza

Gyoza Turn Up the Eurobeat

Reading List:
    Link
    I know I'm a solid 3 months late to the party, but hey, better late than never.

My tastes lean more towards female-to-male crossdressing, male-to-female crossdressing, body swap between a boy and girl, or male-to-female gender bender (and the genderbent person pursues a relationship with a guy).

Sorry, I'm not too clear on the terminology :notlikeblob:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Moonpearl likes this.
  16. Gyoza

Reading List:
    Link
    [Recommendation]
    Title: I Shouldn't Have Pretended to be a Female Lead
    Genre/Tags: Comedy, Fantasy, Androgynous Characters, Oneshot, Parody, Summoned Hero
    Synopsis: Some dude falls into another world and decides he’d rather live as the Heroine than go out and fight to death as the Hero. He might have changed his mind if he’d read the terms and conditions, though.

Personal Thoughts: I recently rediscovered this oneshot and it's hilarious. The main character's matter-of-fact personality is similar to the MC's personality in Reborn as my Love Rival's Wife. The MC's blunt commentary is highly amusing, and there are some great comedic one-liners. The author absolutely nailed the parody aspect.

If you have 5 minutes to spare, I highly recommend it.

17. Jarked

Jarked Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahoyhoy! Can anyone think of the name of this LN/Story. I've searched everywhere for it!

MC lives in a crappy village, salvaging things from a toxic swamp (I think). After he makes enough money, he heads to a city, but on the way he falls into a pool of water than changes him into a woman and makes him much stronger. Once S/he gets to the city, she opens up a shop that sells magical items and has an insane security system.

Any help is appreciated!

18. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
  19. Gyoza

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven't seen something like this, but I'll keep my eye out.

Jarked likes this.
  20. SilvaLau

Reading List:
    Link
    That's new to me. I'd like to believe I've read quite a fair share of Gender Bender novel available here on NovelUpdates (minus the Chinese ones), and if they are not here... perhaps an original story from either ScribberHub or RoyalRoad?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.