Discussion Fleshing/Brainstorming out a Cultivation/Magic system

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Atros, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    TL;DR Need ideas for magic fusions, "Main" is the first one listed, tertiary minor to get the enhancement is the second. Overall "concept" is each magic can be create a unique ability fused with one (and only one! no triple/quadruple/whatever fusions the cultivation system has enough bloat as it is) of the other elements. Scroll to bottom for the list of fusions I'd like ideas for in bold, the rest of this post is pretty optional and is really just me over explaining everything.

You can browse through the list of fusion magics to see what I already have and where in tier 3, but feel free to skip that too, I'd be interested in seeing what ideas you have for other fusions and if you'd put them in the same category I do.

Alright, looking for some suggestions filling out some holes in the elemental spect of a cultivation system I'm making for something of a sortof... friend group project. The base information and what's already decided on is listed below, warning, it... can be quite a bit. Game system tendencies. Unfortunately the bit I need help with is the *third* tier of cultivation within the element system. Some (necessary?) background:

"Element" cultivation, the "Natural" magic. Doesn't have anything like "Sword" or "Greed" or whatever dao, but instead everythings based on the natural "laws". The *intent* is to be physics-y enough to make sense, but it's cultivation fantasy, so uh... intuitive, rather than logical, is the aim. Just enough to go "Oh, that makes sense" if you're used to western or eastern fantasy magic at all.

"Elements" are:
    Wind
    Fire
    Water
    Stone*
    Gravity
    Lightning
    Vitality(Blood)**
    Space***

*Not metal. Stone/dirt specifically. Honestly dirt is a very different thing than "stone"
    **It's actually Vitality magic, in that it allows you to cultivate life force, limited within species. As for how "species" is defined, if you can mate with it it's close enough. In-universe, it's called Blood magic, because when every living member of your species is effectively a cultivation resource if you stab them and spiritually-pull, you get a bad incentivization problem.

**Not like "oooo the strongest magic" space, and absolutely no relation to "time". Yes, spacetime, quantum mechanics, again looking for magically intuitive not scientific accuracy.

First major "Tier" of cultivation allows you to generate the related energy and, if physical spiritually "mark" it (Wind, Water, Stone, and for the purposes of this description, Space) for spiritual manipulation. This tier *cannot* just manipulate whatever happens to be around related to their element; instead, they have to deliberately cultivate and imbue the rock, wind, etc. with their energy to be able to do so, and even that allows only limited manipulation. Space magic, at this tier, is purely a magical backpack. You have your own pocket dimension you can pull things in/out of at touch range, at volume-equivalent cost (if you pull out a 2x4, you replace it in your space with a 2x4's worth of the air you pulled it out into, vise versa when you put it away. Heavier things, like doing the same thing in water, increases energy requirements. Even at peak of this tier, generating enough force to split a rock by pulling half of it into your space is impossible and the swap will just not happen, with nothing coming out or going in). Fire, Lightning, Gravity, and Blood similarly purely *generate* the energy, without manipulating outside forces. Difference is, they can contain the energy internally directly because it's, well, energy. Practical usage means you can make a torch, but not throw fire more than a dozen feet at peak of tier, generate enough electricity to taze the shit out of someone but not shoot lightning, enhance your own gravity up to 5x at peak of tier (with all the potential physical problems this would cause) or anything that you have physical contact with and doesn't extend beyond a couple yards. The more not-physically-you material you try to effect the more energy-inefficient this gets, based on mass and distance. Gravity multiplier is a *multiplier*, so if you're somewhere with higher gravity it's net effect is higher, or vise versa. Vitality, at this rank, cannot be projected, only absorbed, effectively creating perfect health and, desired or not, preserving youth.

For below tiers, living beings have natural "spiritual" possession of themselves and everything inside them. So you can, say, set the air around them on fire but you can't set them on fire directly. It's also essentially on a first-dibs basis for grabbing the air/heat/etc. before someone else, though if you're significantly outleveled control can be seized, and at similar level fought over to basically force an inability to manipulate the object/area at all for both of you. A being is "living" enough to be ensouled if it's evolved enough to be "conscious". Which is a bullshit way to say no, bacteria doesn't count, trees and plants don't count, bugs ant sized or bigger do count. Everything bigger'n that and more obviously alive does count. Yes, I know, trees have been shown to feel pain and all that jazz but it's an intuitive limit not a real world physics one.

Second "Tier" is essentially the same, but with the ability to manipulate un-spiritually-claimed forces without spiritually cultivating them first. Scales within the tier. Think <Element> Bending, avatar style, but without the physical motion. Less intuitively however, gravity just gains the ability to also *lessen* gravity to 1/5th, but with the same personal restrictions. Vitality can be projected, and with enough medical knowledge and expertise directed to aid in the healing of others as of this rank. It's basically just pumping energy into their cells, though, so while you can replace their need for air, food, etc. temporarily, if the body doesn't know how to fix something then more energy won't change that (Limb loss, cancers, disease can be a double edged sword; increased health but that's really just improving the environment for the disease, so if your immune system can't fight it off you're worse off). Space at this tier gains the ability to *feel* the physical world around them in 360 degrees, granting a kind of sonar effect, as well as manipulate space directly to travel through different planes and locate/activate/deactivate dimensional portals. Hypothetically you can also *make* portals/gateways and other such things, but space is very stable and "heavy" and even at peak of rank you need a large number of space users and a method of joining their strengths to achieve this. Turns out the space holding our entire physical realm isn't all that easy to fuck with.

Third tier, and the bit I need help with finally. Third tier is where it gets more eastern than western cultivation-wise, similar to how Coiling Dragon went from spells to laws, I guess. The way to grow here is through <Main Element>+<Other>. Each element can gain/manipulate/fuse an attribute of every other element, and that's a "level" within tier. The order comes down to personal talent/circumstances/ability. Once you "break through" as a second element this way, you become a Tier 1, Level 1 user of that new element. You have to cultivate its energy from scratch (at a substantially higher energy cost, exponentially more expensive/unreasonable for every energy tacked on), and can never break through in a second element to tier two. Barring, I guess, roleplay/plot bullshit but frankly since I have the entire Dao system and Body cultivation existing in-universe and not-mutually-exclusive as well I feel like there's enough power growth potential for that without it. Also, this is effectively the final tier. It's a many-worlds-not-necessarily-in-contact setting, so the exact titles are up for debate, but a Tier 1 is a<Element>-Caster, a Tier 2 a <Element>-Mage, and Tier 3 titles out depending how many elements you've unlocked. 1-2 Magus/High Magus, 3 Saint, 4 Lord, 5 King, 6 Emperor, 7 God. In-universe your average well developed earth-sized planet would have maybe hundred or so people at the High Magus level, a dozen or so Saints, and maybe a Lord. A "King" rank caster would be maybe One-In-Six-Solar-Systems level rare, with an "Emperor" being one-in-several-galaxies rare. Universally, that's still lots, but at the Emperor tier you may as well give up all hope of meeting an equal in elemental cultivation. Even with the (as of tier 3) endless lifespan, Space is hella big and natural portals that take you out of your solar system are extremely rare, out of your *galaxy* are Emperor-level rare.

The abilities below are, uh, end-world powers and aren't strictly defined into how much and how far you can go yet. Sortof balancing the concept as a story-universe with game possibilities inside it, so the tuning is basically gonna be "Whatevers cool and doesn't seem monstrously broken compared to everything else in every scenario". Honestly, as a game system might limit people to the Magus rank.

Wind
    Wind+Fire = Wind passing through heat can absorb the heat to increase it's speed and kinetic force. Air has to "touch" the heat, so can't suck the heat out of inside a rock, say, but could over time leech it all out by scraping it off the surface. The hotter the area is the better, for this kind of magic.

Wind+Water = "Thickening" of the air, think gaseous like jupiter. Enough to lift a person, not a tank? Maybe a tank going all out at high attainment? I like the idea but to be honest I'd be okay with using the same idea for stone or gravity, so... help here'd be cool too.

Wind+Stone = I've got shit. I don't mind just stealing "concepts" of things since this is the more eastern-style cultivation tier, but uh, "stable" air? "Solid" air?

Wind+Gravity = "Slicing"/"Blades" of air, maybe? Swap this idea with water? To be honest the "flow" concepts of water and stuff are really just how it interacts with gravity, so once you start cultivating based on "laws" the lines between one thing and the other get more vague.

Wind+Lightning = Uh, first thought is static? Wind pressure? Need some help with this one.

Wind+Vitality = Wide area healing? Able to use infuse the wind with vitality and impart a bit into everyone who breathes it? Vitality magic itself needs some of this shit too though so I dunno.

Wind+Space = Vacuum. Able to "force" air apart to create a vacuum, and "stop" the air from filling said vacuum. Air isn't the only thing there is, so you can use this to lift things, move yourself very quickly (by sustaining a vacuum in front of yourself, for instance, and only allowing air from behind you to move towards it). Extreme limitations on range and energy cost of this since this is potentially extremely broken otherwise. Space is kinda... like that, as a magic.

Fire
    Fire + Wind = Faster combustion and a higher yield for it, essentially "big fire". Note more in a volume sense, not in a concentration sense; more fire, not hotter fire.

Fire + Water = Thinking chemical fire? The ability to ignite and get heat from water, essentially. The white phosphorus fires from youtube videos are what give me the thought, but that seems awfully specific somehow. Not self-sustaining though, without the Tier 3 Fire users active assistance the fire can't set water on fire and spread, the way it can in a forest.

Fire + Stone = Uh... I kinda want lava to be a stone+Fire power, not the other way around, so I'm actually at a loss for this. Ideas?

Fire + Gravity = Boom! Haha, no, really though. Explosions. The ability to condense and convert heat to a kinetic blast. Range-limited, but only compared to just throwing fire around. Not just a couple meters.

Fire + Lightning = Plasma? Not sure if I wanna use that for the Lightning+Fire instead. Maybe just the ability to convert native electricity into heat? At a good yield, since they're pretty similar to begin with.

Fire + Vitality = Life-fire. That annoying ability every MC seems to get in some variant. Ignite your own life force to fuel a flame that destroys Vitality directly. In minor doses, you lose the same amount of Vitality you'd lose from some blood loss, and recover from it. In major, lifespan. In extreme, well... enough lifespan you die. Does not grant the ability to set another living beings vitality on fire, but can be used to ignite the fading vitality of the recently dead same-species.

Fire + Space = Extreme control, heat concentration. Think fire bending Blue Fire. With the whole spectrum right up to blindingly white, though, you can concentrate heat into an area near yourself and restrain it from exiting. The more heat you shove in, the hotter the flame, this way, without the natural dissipation of heat that occurs otherwise.

Water
    Water + Wind = Fog. Manipulation of fog, *sensing* of fog (so you can't say, read a book that's in the fog, but you can sense where the fog didn't go and the shape it wrapped around things to find things, kindof like a much more detailed space-mages sonar)

Water + Fire = Ice. Rip the heat out of your water and isolate your water from heat, freezing it. Extreme control of this allows you to make different *stages* of ice by altering the way ice crystals form, but unlike with actual Ice I-IX or however many it was in real science, every ice stage is just "Stronger, denser, heavier ice". Haven't really decided things like range, potential max, etc.

Water + Stone = I've honestly got nothing. I originally thought it'd be neat to make this one Ice, but I liked water+fire for ice better, so... fuck.

Water + Gravity = Extreme water pressure, with good enough control and aim essentially a water cutter. Without, still just much-more-efficient water pressure, uses a kind of "gravity loop" concept to speed up and condense water in melee range and control to release that water pressure in an amount and direction you want. Anyone using this would have to build up the pressure and have a spinning water loop, the more water you want to spray and more pressure you want then the bigger your loop'd have to get.

Water + Lightning = Acidification of water. Water already dissolves things, lightning fused into it excites it greatly and makes it work as an acid attack. Requires sustaining by the user, once you're not actively pumping lightning into it the water reverts to regular old water.

Water + Vitality = ... I mean, first thought is blood but I don't want people to be able to directly manipulate inside each other at any level, with the exception of vitality, so... Maybe more like a health thing? Extreme exfoliation! I dunno. I don't actually require all the powers to be balanced against each other for combat use, it's fine if they're more useful for living or in niche scenarios, so... maybe it really will just be super healthy bath water.

Water+Space = Having a hard time deciding this one. Ripple effect, to allow water to be used to effectively shield things? Not super in love with the idea, I dunno.

Stone
    Stone + Wind = ... Honestly, much like with Wind+Stone, I've got shit.

Stone + Fire = Lavaaaaaaaaa ability to manipulate liquified rock. You've only got Tier 1 amounts of fire heat, so you're going to have a hard time putting out the heat to make a useful quantity of liquid rock, but you could do it. If you go somewhere with lava/magma to manipulate on hand, though, uh... sucks to be anyone who pissed you off.

Stone + Water = Sand! You can already manipulate sand at tier 2 since it's just tiny rocks, but now you can casually dust any rock you're manipulating into sand and ruin their fucking day. This also makes it a lot easier to shape stone you're dealing with, rather than just forcibly moving only a spikes-shaped worth of stone and hoping it breaks in a way that keeps it sharp, you can directly mold it.

Stone + Gravity = More or less the opposite of Stone+Water, condense stone. With a lot of energy put into it, you can even condense stone into metals. Note that this is more of a production feature, though; while metal is technically considered stone, it's too "dense" to manipulate the same way. Not in a mass-sense, but in a fuck-off-i-don't-want-metal-benders-so-its-too-hard sense.

Stone + Lightning = Magnets! No, I don't remember saying I had anything against metal bending. Anyway, you can project a magnetic field, origin yourself (though, you can make the origin say, your hand or your foot or your whole blood). Positive or Negative at your will and control, strength alterable based on your level. Honestly might move this down to Lightning+Stone if I can come up with something to replace it.

Stone + Vitality = ???

Stone + Space = Geological sonar, if that makes any sense? The ability to, with extreme range, analyze the earth around you and all the types of earth in it (so you could detect, say, mineral veins, or any metal in contact with the earth). Note that this works *only* through the earth, but again with extreme range, so you couldn't detect someones metal arrow with it at 5 kilometers, but you could detect an arrows worth of metal stabbed into the dirt at 5 kilometers, assuming that you had an unbroken straight-line connection of land to do so.

Gravity
    Gravity+Wind = Struggling with this.

Gravity + Fire = Gravity-destruction! Able to (finally) straight up destroy the "energy" of gravity to create a zero-G effect in your area. Note that I explain this as setting the gravity on fire, but there's no physical flame; the gravity is just being burned as fuel to prevent the constantly-generated pull of gravity from effecting you, or the area you cover it with. This "flame" isn't actually visible, because gravity isn't either.

Gravity + Water = Alter gravitational "Flow" of gravity you generate. Essentially, you can do Tier 2, but you can also alter *direction*. Think similar to a "Lashing" in the Stormlight Archives, you can effectively cancel out gravity for yourself by creating a gravitational push towards "up" of the same strength. Limited to 120% generation of local gravity. So, you could make yourself go "up" at 20% the speed of the gravitational planet you're on with a full strength push that way. In practical terms, since you can already lower your own gravity, this is usually used to create horizontal rather than vertical gravitational pulls.

Gravity + Earth = Stone-based gravity wells. Able to make a stone you're manipulating generate a gravity field as though it were a *lot* denser. Scales with energy put in, though there's a cap to how much you can generate with a given amount of stone. Basically miniplanets that pull everything towards them.

Gravity + Lightning = The easy option here is to absorb electricity to amplify gravity. Which I'm not ruling out, but while I'm happy with that kind of thing for things like air/fire because it's somewhat similar to how they function in reality it feels kinda... janky... to do here. Hoping someone with a better physics education can think of something cooler.

Gravity + Vitality = ??? fuck me this one isn't intuitive at all. Obvious choice is Life-force fuelled Gravity amplification to overcome the regular limitations but I'm not in love with the idea. If anyone's got something else for this I'd love some ideas here.

Gravity + Space = Gravity fields! The same things you can do with tier 2 magic, but you can finally expand the effect onto an area around you, scaling with level. Even at peak not going to be able to x5 an entire city or something silly like that, though, maybe 20 meters around you at x5. Still pretty devastating for everything and anything in that area that's not *incredibly* well built, though.

Lightning
    Lightning + Wind = Sonic/Thunder. Soundsplosions, not controllable to the point of directly controlling soundwaves, just... make massive, thundering booms. Note that this is one of the magics that tells physics to take a backseat; if you're using lightning+wind to make thunder, it's not a byproduct of lightning, it's *instead* of lightning bolts.

Lightning + Fire = Plasma feels more appropriate here than up above for Fire+Lightning, but this is another one where I'd appreciate more input.

Lightning + Water = "Holdable" lightning. Normally you can't "carry" lightning with you, just the small amount you can generate yourself, it expends immediately upon being directed. With this fusion magic, however, you can manipulate it into a self-containing circuit and collect large amounts of lightning for as long as you're willing to sustain it. It does lose energy to heat dissipation over time, but not a lot, so you could hypothetically hang out near a thunderstorm collecting an absolutely apocalyptic amount of electricity then spend a day's time traveling with it and unleash an apocalyptic hell.

Lightning + Stone = ... uh... can I do magnetism twice? Haha...hah... guess not. If someone else has a good idea for this, or a good idea for Stone+Lightning, I'd be grateful for the help.

Lightning + Gravity = ... I've got squat.

Lightning + Vitality = Life-force-fuelled lightning. Drain yourself or the recently-dead and shoot life-force damaging lightning bolts. Possibly dark red covered for dramatic purposes that I will come up with a bullshit reason to excuse.

Lightning + Space = Space-shredding lightning. In-universe there's a "gray" extreme energy that damages space between planes and has to be overcome/avoided for planar travel. This is absurdly energy intensive, to the point where using it to attack a person is pointless because the same level of effort in raw lightning would slaughter them. It's also extremely difficult to control, forcing you to use it at melee range exclusively. It does, however, allow you to damage portals, gateways, and anything you couldn't normally effect through physical means.

Vitality
    Vitality + Wind = ... Either steal the wind-based area healing from wind+vitality, or come up with something better.

Vitality + Fire = Absorb fire into vitality, allowing temporary increase in life force. Note that this does not *heal* you, think of it as allowing you to set your HP above the cap. With Vitality + Fire you could drain a massive amount of health to have 115/100 health, and then use that health to cast. It's fake health, though, so it goes away if you don't use it to fuel any magic when you sleep/lose consciousness, and can't be used on self healing at all. Might change my mind on the self heating thing since it feels kinda forced, but making any Vitality + Fire mage effectively immortal and unrivalled when near a volcano or something is a bit much too. Maybe put a mental strain on its use so that even if the power is available you just can't use that much of it.

Vitality + Water = Imbue water with life force. *Persists*. This is the only source of real healing consumables in-universe. Someone drinks it, and it's as though you pumped however much vitality you put into the water into them directly with only a 10% loss in effectiveness versus direct healing.

Vitality + Stone = ...... I don't really wanna introduce wood magic, it feels really fucking shoehorned, but it's the only thing I've got. Maybe something to do with healing bones?

Vitality + Gravity = I've got shit.

Vitality + Lightning = Extreme nervous system enhancement, temporary, willfully sustained. All those adrenaline-high, hyper focus, world seems slowed down things you read about in any novel with cultivation combat? Well, here's this universes version.

Vitality + Space = AoE vitality absorption. Vitality-drain normally has a touch range limitation (and doesn't innately overcome spiritual resistance, even of a regular mortal, so... you've gotta stab 'em and get that life force leaking first). Note that while this does allow you to drain energy from a large source, you still can't use it on *others* without them being in touch range. This also doesn't change the fact that you can't just rip the life out of uninjured, healthy people. On the other hand, if you walk onto a bloody enough battlefield with this kind of magic you could put wolverine to shame with your self healing, and do the same to anyone in touch range.

Space (er... space ones are more janky in a physics sense, even than the "Gravity is a manipulable energy wave type thing!". Because... manipulating space at all is pretty fucking janky from a physics perspective. Unless otherwise specified, everything here is extremely effort intensive because space is sturdy and does not appreciate being fucked with.)

Space + Wind = ... Faster travel through portals? More efficient portal creation? I dunno about this one.

Space + Fire = Light transparency. Essentially, you can make a small field around yourself (for convenience sake, easily adapting to non-living things on you, like clothes, while not permeating into the ground under your feet) that lets all light pass right through you, unaltered. Invisibility mode get. Since all the light is just passing through you though, you're blind while this is in effect. You do still have your space-magic-based-radar, but that only gives you shapes, so if you want to read something or what have you then you're going to have to drop the transparency, at least on your head.

Space + Water = Physical phasing/permeating. Essentially, the ability to move yourself and your possessions through solid objects. Note that this makes you able to pass through solid matter, it does *not* render you immune to the effects of gravity nor does it allow you to pass through anything spiritually-claimed already. As a result, activating this for the first time on yourself *completely* tends to kill anyone who learns this magic by dropping them into their planets core. Fortunately, on first-breakthrough you don't have enough cultivation in the Water energies to make your entire body phase. When you "un-phase" and become normally physical again, anything in your way is pulled into your dimensional storage (air, water, etc.), but this is subject to the same limitations of putting things into your storage as ever. So if you unphase inside a rock, it will probably fail, which will effectively splinch you and your phased molecules will scatter and you will be down that body part and probably die.

Space + Stone = Space solidifying, essentially barrier/shield magic. Not particularly strong, though, even at top tier in a small area it wouldn't compare to a steel shield. On the other hand, if you apply it to an area it's like dropping them into a marsh, and they'll have to push through the suddenly "thick" space to move, even breathe. Almost like swimming in thick mud.

Space + Gravity = Extreme stability and ease-of-use upgrade to storage magic. Can move huge items in and out (without this, the limit would be around a small car, and it'd have to be much lighter than an actual car). With this, you could shove a fully loaded 50' trailer, truck and all, in and out of your space with room to spare. I haven't decided on exact level-by-level space size yet, but understand that this upgrade will allow much more frequent and casual use, much larger storage, and much more exchanged at once.

Space + Lightning = Effectively, limited teleportation. You have to first soul dominate an item with the same amount of mass as you (possibly a space-attributed item, that portion of universe building is someone else's purview and we haven't decided if it's interesting or just pointless nonsense). That item has to be placed somewhere within your space sonars range, and you can only switch places with it. You can, given time and sufficient energy, have multiple of these out at once, but you can only soul dominate an item in your own space, and all non-body soul domination is removed on loss on consciousness, so you have to physically pull it out and place it in advance. That said, once it exists so long as it's still in your range you can switch places with it at high energy cost at any time. The reasoning is that you're *effectively* blasting a tear/tunnel through a higher dimension than the usual three to exchange yourself with the item. You also displace everything within the volume of yourself when you teleport, so if you have a dense lump of metal you use to meet the mass requirement you'll end up paying extra energy to also displace the air making up the rest of your volume.

Space + Vitality = Massive space sonar upgrade. Still no light, but able to feel and differentiate *souls* within your range of detection. This is *not* limited to same species, and can be considered gaining a sense, and as a result awareness of another dimension entirely called "Soul". This allows detection of soul-relevant cultivation systems (element and dao, not body), rough approximation of strength, and what elements and which strength each element is, for every species.

Cheat sheet of ones I would like ideas for in particular:
    Wind + Stone
    Wind + Vitality
    Fire + Stone
    Fire + Lightning
    Water + Stone
    Water + Vitality
    Water + Space
    Stone + Wind
    Stone + Lightning
    Stone + Vitality
    Gravity + Wind
    Gravity + Vitality
    Lightning + Fire
    Lightning + Stone
    Lightning + Gravity
    Vitality + Wind
    Vitality + Stone
    Vitality + Gravity
    Space + Wind

If you think any of the above are better suited in another position or something, hollar. If you don't like one in particular, noted, but this isn't a critique request. I've got 49 powers to come up with and I'm short ~15, I'm not gonna get rid of one at this point without a good replacement. Balancing and shit can be dealt with later, we're building systems to merge into a universe at this phase. Balancing before we flesh out the body cultivation, dao cultivation, and Deity systems and how they interact is waaaay premature.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  2. valzione

valzione Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    gravity and wind
    Windy hole
    Basically black hole that sucks people in that also shoots out strong wind that hits the people being sucked in even harder.

Atros likes this.
  3. valzione

valzione Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Fire and stone
    Plasma gun beats karate every time
    Shoots homing rocks turned plasma at people's collarbones and only at their collarbones

Atros likes this.
  4. KimmyChimCham

KimmyChimCham Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wind + Stone: Maybe creating wind that has elements of a gas (air) and a solid (stone)? Kinda hard to picture but its kinda like having the properties of two states of matter at the same time. Perhaps with practice, this power could be used to a lot of advantages.
    Wind + Vitality: Your healing wind idea isn't a bad idea. Maybe you can expand on that by limiting the power. An idea is that the healing wind only heals by taking life force from other living things. For example, lets say you're healing a badly wounded person in a forest with the healing wind. The person would be healed but the trees around you will begin to die.
    Fire + Stone: Similar to what I said before, with stone as a supporting enhancement, I think the best thing to do is give the magic some sort of solid property. Like solid fire. Not exactly lava but imagine solidified fire. Think about it, solidified fire implies that all that heat and energy is being condensed. Wouldn't that make it super powerful? Its like a mini-sun but better!
    Fire + Lightning: Lightning is technically already plasma. When I think of fire and lightning, I think of Natsu absorbing Laxus's lightning back in Fairy Tail, he had a fire breath that had sparks of lightning around it so the destructive power was a lot larger. Kinda boring combination but it seems effective.

Too tired now. Will come back later and see what else people put.

Atros likes this.
  5. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @valzione huh, first one kinda makes me think of the original rasengan. I don't wanna crib from naruto that hard, but that's a good line of thought, wind branches have a serious lack of melee offensive oomph. Something like that could give a variant that changes that. Plasma I was thinking more along the lines of fire/lightning or lightning/fire, though. One of those effects that fits a lot of combos.

@KimmyChimCham Hm, "vitality" magic doesn't work across species, so it'd have to be draining the recently dead. That said, being able to kill someone and turn them into a healing wind is metal as fuck, and I could use Vitality + Wind as the version that lets you use your own vitality to do a kindof "breath of life" type heal. the Wind+Stone one I don't really understand, other than attempting to solidify the air, but wind+water and space+stone already cover the effects I could think of for that. Fire+Stone the idea of "solid" fire is kinda neat, though the concentration effect is covered in Fire + Space (sealing the space to prevent heat dissipation no matter how much fire you put in). Maybe a crystallized fire, though, that on break explodes as a kind of molotov. I like it. I'm not familiar with fairy tail (I watched some of it, but it was too long to ever come close to finishing), but yeah, that's my thought plasma-wise. Maybe lightning+fire lets you fire off lightning bolts that explode with heat on impact (significantly more so than lightning already does, I mean, and not absorbed by conductors). Then fire+lightning could be an almost defensive "pool" of extreme heat that just dissolves everything it touches with a range restriction

Thanks for the ideas so far, got a few workable ones already. Probably would have fared better, response-wise, if I hadn't posted at two in the morning, but alas such is the cost of staying up until two trying to work it out.

KimmyChimCham likes this.