Discussion Got in an argument with my neighbors need some advice.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Minokyuu, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    If they're in an area several metres from your place, and they're not purposefully using a volume that they're assured would be high enough to bother you or they're actually discussing you, it might be somewhat hard to get legal reasons to force them to do it somewhere else (or not, depending on the laws in your country and the cops around where you live and how corrupt the area is).

That being said, asking them politely might work, unless they don't have any better places or they feel challenged by your demand and believed authority over what they're allowed to do, in which case they might bother your purposefully to get back at you. That being said, in an aggravated situation, you're more likely to have a better chance of legally stopping them from doing it there, unless their friends or family are police in the jurisdiction you're in or there's one of those novel situations (my brother-in-law is a deputy minister's assistant, I can do whatever I want with that backing) or some such, in which case you're out of luck unless anti-corruption is a trending thing at that time.

Basically, it depends on how far you want to try and take the situation and exactly how the situation can evolve or devolve into due to the actions you take and the reactions to that they take.

Though my advice if you want to take it pretty far, is to make sure you won't get caught and have scapegoats or alibis in place.

Minokyuu likes this.
  2. Minokyuu

Minokyuu ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Reading List:
    Link
    Next time I'll just blast some music, though I didn't before since it was morning when it started.
    I'm on it, the next time they do so.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I was literally down the whole day because I felt I might be wrong after they said it was a public space.
    I did the first one politely at first but got agitated in the middle since they literally said that 'just sleep' disregarding anything I said after.
    I was sleeping when they first gossip in a very loud voice(they are talking 6-7 steps distance away) so I confronted them :/.
    I'm on it(hopefully it's not morning since I don't want to annoy my other neighbors.)
    They are actually gossiping in front of the house about our family asking people to not hang out or talk in front of the house.
    The funny fact is that they are talking in front of the house with a distance away from each other 6-7 steps away about our family asking people to not to hang or gossip in front of the house and I did ask them politely, problem is that they didn't like I was asking them to not gossip in front of the house and said it was 'public space'. Anyway thank's for the advice I did take it a little too far that it devolve in shouting match after getting a little hot-headed.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  3. kcao1199

kcao1199 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are there public disturbance laws where you live?

4. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    Best thing I can offer is they're intentionally being annoying to stir you up. Just ignore it. The less you react the less thrill.

But if you wanna piss them off and just get a guy with a loud ass muffler to come by every day at around 4 am and blast his car for 10 seconds.

Kairil and Meloman like this.
  5. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Option 1: Get a dog and teach him to protect your home (or simply just get a ferocious one)
    Option 2: Prank them (like before you go to sleep, drawn the front of your house in Kerosene or oil or something that makes it easier for things to burn then put a warning on your door that smoking isn't allowed, they will understand once they smell the odor unless they are suicidal)
    Option 3: Make it so the place isn't as attractive as before for their gathering like throw banana peels in front of your house before you sleep(of course clean the mess when you wake up)

6. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    Bruh if the dog gets too aggressive it can be a legal liability. That would bite his ass...

7. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey cops said to resolve it amongst themselves so... you can't argue with the law agents

8. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    if they're hanging out/loitering on stairs/hallway and doing it on a consistent basis, you could always check into whether or not it counts as a fire safety hazard. those things are usually narrow enough as it is, and not meant for people to just sit around.

9. raysha18

raysha18 [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    Use a fire extinguisher.
    You say, "oh sorry i did not see you there. I thought there was a fire since there is smoke coming up my window."

Tbh, i also hate cigarette smoke since i do not smoke. My neighbor used to do the same thing, though he does not gossip. But im too afraid of confrontations so i just bottled everything in and let it go.I'm glad we moved.

10. moto

moto Spam Bot

Reading List:
    Link
    That's not what they mean to resolve it amongst themselves. They mean in a mutual fashion. Like talking. Also getting a dog to scare people away can also be a stress on the owners themselves. It's a double edge sword that may or may not work.

The best he can do is to call the cops again and argue that any meaningful discussion cant be concluded and he needs the cops to be mediators.

11. fuuton

fuuton Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well you did the right thing (being polite and the guard),It didnt work. Throw some water?it isnt illegal, I think. Annoying music , shoot them with nerf gun?

12. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So they're basically just assholes.

...just deal with it. Or join some turf wars in your neighborhood and try to beat them up.

13. kuroAnsatsu

kuroAnsatsu Realistically Stoic

Reading List:
    Link
    Put some shit on that staircase, cat or dog whatever. It's a public space, even cat has the right to shit there

14. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    In some countries it’s illegal to smoke in such places... talking, even loud is generally not illegal.

Perhaps you could “join” their conversation. Most people would find that highly annoying. Like they are talking about the weather tell them it rained in Tokyo last night. If they are not annoyed enough - continue adding cities. Your geography knowledge will improve.

Sooner or later they’ll tell you to butt out of “their” conversation- then you tell them it’s public space or whatever and you got freedom of speech.

Practice violin (badly) right under their windows- you get inspired by playing outside. Practice basketball dribbling on the spot- the noise is also interesting. Practice during their conversation, right next to them.

Generally adults would feel embarrassed about arguing with a kid. They might complain to your parents.
    Bring a doctors notice saying you got asthma and smoking is not good to inhale for you. Technically that’s abuse of your health, but it depends on your country laws.

moto likes this.
  15. defry

defry Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not the end of the world.

I would get annoyed if it was my friends or relatives gossiping but if they are strangers, it is their problem. You can suggest that they should discuss in their houses or private place instead of a public space that is in front of your house.

They are not doing anything wrong from a legal p.o.v. They are just being rude or disgusting...

My advice is ignore them because you will become the topic of their talks & peoples' hatred can go beyond just rumours & etc. I suggest ignore & keep distance from those that gossip... they are bored, empty & will use anything or anyone to escape their emptiness & flaws.

moto likes this.
  16. Adislt2

Adislt2 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Quite confused about your house description, ( because you said house but then you said room next, so i quite confused whether you live in a house or apartment complex ) if it's really bothering you and you think there's stll a possibility to discussion , just said even if it's public place, they still need to respect others and not bothering others, but please remember you need to be in control of yourself, don't give them the reason to make you look like the bad guy in the story, if it's still not working do a reverse treatment , do something annoying but not breaking law in front of their house and use their own argument when they ask you to stop

17. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of cases like this are solved by whomever is sneakier.

They do something to you. You do something to them. Whoever gets the other person to escalate it into a way that breaks rules or laws wins. Because then they call the cops.

Good hunting.

18. Vincent1873

Vincent1873 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is pretty much what I was thinking. Join the conversation and be ridiculous with your responses. "She said whaaaat" "MMMMhhmmmmm guuuuuuurl" "That's what I said" and then act like a hype man and repeat what they're saying. "he was being a douche" "AND WE AIN'T HAVING IT. NOT UP IN HERE."

Meloman and moto like this.
  19. Deleted member 155674

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok, what about the two other options (as I would probably pick one of them) :hmm:?

20. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    if you are living in a horizontal property there must be an administration, you tried to ask them to stop, now go to the administration and tell them to solve the problem.
    Normally obstructing staircases is illegal because it can cause accidents on emergencies, so being in the staircase gossiping can be take as an obstruction.
    and that thing of public space, it isn't is communal space, different thing.
    going doing things like using a bucket of water can be tempting but it can also carry somekind of penalty. so trying to get the administration to solve the thing is the best move. (that's why it sucks to live in apartments)