When your response is grammatically weird

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cap.toon, Mar 12, 2019.

1. cap.toon

cap.toon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sitting at my desk, my staff came in and asked me about their 401K. Since my work place is closing our local branch--meaning lost of jobs and etc--many would have questions.

A pair of nice ladies came in asking if they would receive a letter or a phone call, or perhaps even an email about the change in their 401K. I didn't have the answer. I did recommend they wait for the HR Manager, but then we ended up discussing it.

I said, " I think the most legal way they would contact you, would be through letters."
    "Yea, I hope that too. My computer doesn't work," one said. The other nodded along.
    "If you have your account settling to paperless, you won't receive a letter notice. You'll get an email. You can call XXX to send you the letter."

After they left, I faced palm myself--most legal?? What kind of word pair is that!! It is redundant!!

SolInvictus and prongsjiisan like this.
  2. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ayy, I don't know what the fuck you are talking about, but it kinda made me lol.
    Thanks for the laughs.

3. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    you mean common mistake toward some sentence or how sentence or word used on language?
    some common mistake become sooo common it not become mistake again tho
    it only known among linguist

still english is weird language

4. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not in this day and age. Corruption is becoming the modern way of life. There have been too many stories about shady practices from both cops and lawyers.

5. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    As a wise being once said:

Don't worry, be happy!

Varno and cap.toon like this.
  6. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    If u don't get, I don't know how you laugh. But what I meant is, it is redundant. I shouldn't have said most legal because there is no such thing as the most legal way. It either is or isn't. The common or proper term would be: most likely, potentially, maybe, perhaps and/or often.

Corruption never dies. The human heart is scary and greedy. So maybe, there is never a good person--only those who seek to be a good person.

7. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd be more worried about this...

Arexio likes this.
  8. Jarrow

Jarrow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, there are many, many, many, different ways a corporate legal department can accomplish something. They vary from the most legal - notarized forms sent via signed courier; to the least legal - updating the 521st paragraph of tinytext in a webpage you may or may not know about, but are legally obligated to agree to knowing (ex: EULAs or HR Employee Handbook agreements). Given expenses, sending the forms via receipt-requested postal mail is probably the 'most legal' method they'd choose. Your statement was grammatically correct. 'Legal' does indeed represent a very wide continuum, it is definitely NOT merely binary.

Fun Fact: I worked as document retention IT geek for a global legal office for a year or so. They had a budget, and if they wanted to get the same amount or more the next year, they had to spend it all every year. Listening to them decide who's small companies (and the lives of the people behind them) to sue or threaten (destroy) so they could reach their billable hours quotas was a horrible, terrifying, fascinating trial. I never managed to gather enough courage to speak up, and that's weighed on my mind ever since. Lawyers can be very corrupt and evil people.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    Arexio likes this.
  9. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I got that part. That's what made me laugh. I just don't know what the fuck you are talking about. But I get your blunder, I understood that part at least.

10. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, if you have two lolis next to each other one could be more legal than the other. :blobshh:

userunfriendly likes this.
  11. Aop

Aop [Great Destroyer of Filth] [Dao of Cleanliness]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, we live in a world where literally can mean figuratively now.

12. Freezy

Freezy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you're getting mixed between the word proper and legal, there are various methods in which they could contact them but the most proper would be to send a letter. The word proper has variations and that was the word you were looking for, you can break up with a girl legally any way you want, but it's the least proper to break up by text, is a shitty example.

cap.toon likes this.
  13. Freezy

Freezy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd have to disagree there, what you're describing is the levels to which various agreements are legally binding. All of what you're describing is legal but some are more legally binding than others, for example the tinytext in a webpage can be argued to not be binding as many people ignore it and it is hard to read/be aware of, whereas a notarised form is very hard to deny conscious awareness of and as such you are heavily bound to it.

14. thepope

thepope Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At topic:Yes there are more then one of them i hear them from time to time and they stay in head and you can think about them only afterwards.
    I am not native english speaker but if you work with foreigners who can use the language to some extent you will come across them when somthing uncommon came up.

It is normal in big company in a logistic firm i worked there was a months budget for importing goods for every "classification" and you needed to spend it on it even if the price was lower on the market because if not the system whould "cut" the budget for the next month and you whould need to do a LOT of paperwork to get that back.

15. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    It happens all the time. My company just decide that it would be more profitable to set up plant in Texas.

They need to spend it all every year? They why do they need to go sue or threaten smaller companies--would they gain more money and not lose it?

Buhahaha--nah, they are old ladies. Winkles and everything. Good luck imaging lolis.

elengee likes this.
  16. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think that is a problem as everything is relative and honestly nothing is a hundred percent

17. cap.toon

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup. Most legal, doesn't sound right. Legal, still has some issue
    People would usually just brush it off. Most people would understand and come to their own conclusion of what I meant.

18. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    Just another day in my office... Worry not I'm bad in english too

19. Bank

Bank Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah i'm not only one weird. Actually i often use wrong words to express my thoughts. orz.

20. SolInvictus

SolInvictus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You make some good points but, what you said about "most legal" being grammatically correct is untrue. What you are describing are ways to circumvent the law - various interpretations, loopholes, bureaucracy, etc. However, ultimately, there is a verdict and the action will be judged as either legal or illegal. You may agree or disagree with the validity of how that verdict came to be, the morality of it, and/or the rationale behind it but, legality itself does not vary in quantity. It is binary.