Recommendations Recommend me!

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by 3xtBlade, Mar 14, 2019.

1. 3xtBlade

3xtBlade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m looking for some recommendations just in case I missed some hidden gems. I don’t really have strict requirements, just that

1) The MC must have a drive to improve. Can be any for reason, revenge, for his family or just wanting to reach the peak. I don’t mind if he gets just about every treasure he comes across as long as a reasonable amount of effort is put in.

2) Unique cultivation system. Needs to be interesting, I don’t really want one where they give stages and all that’s required is to cultivate and eat treasures to break through. Like Swallowed Star, Desolate Era where it’s required to comprehend laws, or even The Charm of Soul Pets with its own special cultivation system.

3) 80% World Building, 20% personal relationships. I’m not interested in politicking all over the place. Woukd prefer a major emphasis on his cultivation and adventures, with some chapters dedicated to his relationships.

Oh and I don’t really use my reading list, so just recommend whatever that comes to your mind! Thanks and have a nice day!

2. Lirikan

Lirikan [Charming Mollusca] [Cephalopoda Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    3xtBlade likes this.
  3. iBakax3

iBakax3 [Baka Ranger]

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Superioreos

Superioreos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  5. 3xtBlade

Reading List:
    Link
    I’ll give this a try. It looks quite interesting. I remembered seeing it a while ago and entirely skipping it. Should have went and take a look.

Remembered trying this, don’t really like the dark and gory undertone of the story, so I dropped it. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Finished reading Warlock of the Magus World.
    Not too sure about Grasping Evil cuz... isn’t it more about dual cultivation? And I have this thinking its more of a sexual novel then a cultivation one.
    I remembered reading Carefree Path of Dreams. Not sure why I dropped it, I think i’ll give it another shot.

6. Superioreos

Superioreos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Grasping Evil does have many parts of dual cultivation, however those parts are usually only done to replace the "eat treasures to get stronger" part. The actual breakthroughs are very detailed and do not simply require increasing power. The other great part is that the MC ends up being able to train in Monster, God and Demon (and more) powers and each has unique aspects. He gets lots of power ups but he works for them and, best of all, they are incredibly well explained. To be honest Grasping Evil is one of my favorite series ever. The author does not do pointless filler, because writing is not his main job, unfortunately this leads to long gaps between the raw updates, but quality is much much better. I am all caught up through mtl and it is such a great series.

3xtBlade likes this.
  7. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
  8. 3xtBlade

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the explanation! I’ll give it a shot.

I’ve already read Douluo Dalu 1, 2 and 3 to completion in a mix of raws and mtls. Thanks for the recommendation though!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  9. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Mother of Learning

3xtBlade likes this.
  10. boilhats

boilhats Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    3xtBlade likes this.
  11. Sai Dhruva

Sai Dhruva Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  12. 3xtBlade

Reading List:
    Link
    Tried it, though i dropped it when it reached the arc where all the arachnids died. Will give it a second try though.

Read Forty Milleniums of Cultivation already. As for Reverend Insanity, uh, I dropped it cuz I didn’t like how the MC was too soloist for my taste. He seems to only have this one gender bender dude following him and he has practically no real relationships with anyone else.

Read pretty much everything except arena and kill the hero. Will check them out, thanks for the recommendations.

13. Ixcez

Ixcez Intergalactic Xanthic Custom Error Zone

Reading List:
    Link
    If your fine with settings that are not wuxia/xiaxian. I would strongly recommend a story I recently started reading called Lord of the Mysteries it starts of fairly slow to get the world setting going, it is set in a sort of steampunk horror fantasy, nothing to grim or dark. It also has a unique take on the cultivation system where a bit spoilerish so adding spoiler tag if you don't wanna know, it's revealed within the first 10-20 chapters.

The author has created 22 different paths that one can embark upon, by consuming a potion corresponding to a certain path a person is given either physical enhancement, supernatural powers or some kind of magic. While "cultivating" one also has to be careful not to go insane or mutate into a monster. The story is so far is almost all focused on the world, MC's drive to improve and understand the world and on fighting to a smaller degree.

Would recommend at least reading some 30-50 chapters to see if it's your cup of tea.

If you like fantasy/game setting I would also recommend The Amber Sword or Shen Yin Wang Zuo.

Ancient Godly Monarch has a bit of a unique cultivation system and world but I felt it feel into the standard repetitiveness of many other wuxia novels and eventually dropped it after a few hundred chapters.

Lastly if you like korean novels I've lately found myself a bit hooked on The Novel's Extra which is about an author who get's teleported into his own novel except the novel is being rewritten by someone else so for the first part he knows most stuff but the longer the story goes on the less he knows. The world is a bit gamey and the MC has a system that he can use to influence himself. The cultivation is set in a way that a person can increase their physical stats and everyone that is strong has unique "gifts" they are born with that can give them different things like able to cut through anything, whatever they say becomes reality, able to control elemental spirits etc etc. So every person is unique in someway.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    3xtBlade likes this.
  14. 3xtBlade

Reading List:
    Link
    Lord of the Mysteries sounds interesting. I’ll give it a shot. I’ve read Amber Sword, Shen Yin Wang Zuo, Ancient Godly Monarch and The Novel’s Extra already. Thanks for the recommendations!

15. boilhats

boilhats Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everyone loves large chest
    Savage Divinity ( hot-blooded MC ,and lots of action , character development done really well)
    The legend of sun knight (one of the best novels)
    The Grandmaster Strategist ( smart mc,great story)
    Also i'd recommend getting back to reading Reverend Insanity cause in the later chapters he becomes more sociable and has multiple relationship , but don't expect romance that ain't gonna happen.

3xtBlade likes this.
  16. 3xtBlade

Reading List:
    Link
    Read all of them except The Grandmaster Strategist. Will get around to checking it out. I’ll think about Reverend Insanity. Thanks for the recommendations!

17. Wick

Wick Black van owner

Reading List:
    Link
  18. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link