Discussion BL Pet Peeves. WHO HAS THEM?! I DO.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Hoshiandme, Mar 16, 2019.

?

Do you have pet peeve s in BL?

1. Yes.

35 vote(s)
    79.5%
  2. No.

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Idk.

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. Hoshiandme

Hoshiandme A Wandering Star Who Watches From Afar

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello everyone who is reading this.

I would like to say and disscuss, although I do love BL and everything in it. There are some pet peeves of mine that I do have when reading a BL.
    One such pet peeve, is TBH, I kinda hate that in most BL novels, everything seems to go into the BL filter and every able and walking male is a bonafide bent as a circle piece of man meat.
    And as I said, I love BL and do not really mind reading about it, but this situation happens a lot that it’s been annoying me recently.
    Like, being gay is a minority, so not everyone can be gay. Which makes the novels very unrealistic and a bit uncomfortable to read sometimes. Like, I like my boy on boy action, but it’s nice to read about a straight CP in the background you know.
    Not every guy in BLs have to be freaking gay lmao.
    It’s just so weird and feels wrong. It kind of feels like they are just forcing everyone to be gay, though I don’t care. It’s still a pet peeve. Not everyone has to be gay. Like what. It’s a bit annoying.

Anyone else share my pet peeve or does anyone else have a pet peeve of their own regarding BL novels? Please share your opinions.
    This has to be my number one pet peeve, NOT EVERYONES GAY, SO WHY IS EVERYONE GAY IN MAH BLS. Lmao.

ANOTHER PET PEEVE.
    The severe lack in female characters. Like what. Did they just step aside in the world? Lmao.
    Can we get good female characters too? Smh smh.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  2. Hasr11

Hasr11 [Cat] [Fujoshi] [JP TL in Hiding]

Reading List:
    Link
    The ‘all females in BL are evil’ trope
    Also, why do all ukes need to be shorter and delicate than the seme!?

Also, the ‘husband’ and ‘wife’ name-calling in BL used to weird me out at first, but I guess I’m used to it now lol

3. Halmista

Halmista Doctor of Books

Reading List:
    Link
    My pet peeve is...oh wait I don't think this is a pet peeve anymore because I full-on despise the normalization of sexual harrassment and abuse between the main couple. Like it's okay to force yourself on your partner because you love each other type of shit. Then there were no consequences to the attacker and he was easily forgiven just because the sex was good. Goddamn.

4. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    Duh, of course there’s going to be a lack in female characters, since novels are usually in the perspective of the MC, he has no eyes for females thus they don’t register in his mind, They probably do exist, it’s just that the MC doesn’t register their existence and they just look like background characters with a giant X covering their face.

5. Get Nepped

Get Nepped Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When the seme's a jerk. I don't think they have to be the most doting of partners, but if they're acting mean all the time and sometimes even interfering with their life? I feel like that's a toxic relationship.

6. Algorithm

Algorithm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing with this is that it feels shallow and not very dimensional. You don't need to have a potential sexual attraction to someone to register into your life. And a good chunk of the time, they're villains. It's more that they're pushed out the way because readers want to read about eye candy for shipping and rivalry purposes.

Moonpearl and Hoshiandme like this.
  7. Kirill

Kirill New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mine's most likely when authors first introduce the mc as a smart & independent person, who's totally capable of cleverly saving himself from troubles coming in his way

But for some magical reasons, mc would turn into a brainless kid who only relies into his partner & does nothing but throw some petty tantrums

This kind of shit annoy me so much

8. hibatsu

hibatsu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    +1 on the severe lack of good female characters. Like all females are out to get the ML and are usually dumb and annoying. Haven't you heard of the term girl friend???

One of my recent pet peeve is when ML force the MC for sex. Yeah I get that you guys are lovers, I get that MC might enjoy it later but isn't it basically dubcon?? And when they go on for sex and MC is already spent but ML as a stallion still wants to go on.

Also the trope where MC and ML has a child but ML don't want to share MC bc of jealousy, liek shit dude, that's your kin and blood. And maybe the trope that "I don't want to have kids bc I don't want to share you" (ofc it's ok not to have kids but that level of possession... Cough ROS cough) it throws me off

9. Mr. Meh Man

Mr. Meh Man Subtly suggests yuri

Reading List:
    Link
    I really dislike when the main couple is treated like a glorified het couple in all the worst ways, like how if I were to ask a hundred fans who is the "man" in the relationship is, it would always be the seme, and the "woman" would be the uke. Really, I just dislike the toxic portrayals of relationships in Japanese/Korean/Chinese cultures.
    Also, Yuri on Ice's translation team. You really needlessly angered a lot of yuri fans by leaving out that elongated "u" sound. Seriously, it wouldn't have cost you people much more to make it "Yuuri on Ice," and it would have been clear that it's not yuri. Bad form.

10. BookHermit

BookHermit ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■ ■

Reading List:
    Link
    *deep breath*
    I dislike the yandere trope a lot nowadays. Although it could lead to an interesting story if it’s done right, but I hardly find any good ones and start reading these ‘romantic’ novels as a more thriller experience rather than what the book was supposed to be in the first place.... (also speaking of yanderes, I would love to see more yandere Mc, I don’t often see them) but what’s worse is rapey mls that later get a pass from the Mc even though they basically tortured/confined/blackmailed the Mc because the Mc figured out that ‘he loved the ml’ all along, some bullshit like that. If I see a book like that I immediately drop it. Also, I’m kind of sick of holy mother Mc that seemed to be in every third novel.

Ziavory, Meloman and Halmista like this.
  11. Ababil

Ababil Non Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A novel set in post-apocalyptic world after everyone turned gay and there simply no baby reproduced anymore..., is what the ultimate form of this little pet peeve. Imo.

Ziavory and Hoshiandme like this.
  12. Dovey

Dovey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If we're being honest....

Also, some pet peeves! I'm fine with the uke being more feminine than the seme and all but I still appreciate (and prefer) the normal male couple.

The freaking jerks that semes can be sometimes, like wtf??

Alot of the relationships I've seen start with hate or jealousy and i'm not a big fan of that.

I hate how manipulative they can be, like, "I stopped looking for you because I know you wouldn't be able to live without me and would therefore come looking for me" and all that

+1 on how the uke is totally capable and all until the seme comes around

THE LACK OF BALANCE IN THE RELATIONSHIP SOME TIMES. Dude I came here to read some fluffy romance not sex slave training.

Next! Consent is a thing, its a thing damnit so you better fucking get it you douchebag. I hate how the mc is usually just okay with it too! If you're going to put this in you book it should be huge fucking set back in the relationship.

Also, I'm okay with over protectiveness, I honestly think it can be adorable if done correctly, however when it gets to a super possessive point then its time to go.

EDIT: ALSO, The "I'm only gay for you" trope, goddammit stfu

13. Halmista

Halmista Doctor of Books

Reading List:
    Link
    Another shit I hate is how easily they slide in the penis in someone's butt without preparation when it's not ABO and the receiving end feels immediately good???? First of all, pushing in your peen without any preparations whatsoever is fucking hard. The chrysanthemum is a fucking super tight ring. Unless you're rock solid hard. As in ROCK. SOLID. Second, if you managed to put it in, that's shit's going to hurt real bad.

*whispers* I'm talking from experience of course.

14. Halmista

Halmista Doctor of Books

Reading List:
    Link
    Same. I dropped Legendary Master's wife for this reason.

15. CrispyNoodle

CrispyNoodle 『Noodle Overlo*d』『Open Pervert』『Onii-chan』

Reading List:
    Link
    my pet peeve is... that BL exists...

Ziavory likes this.
  16. Dovey

Dovey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dang, you read that too? I got to chapter 500 or something before I couldn't handle the unbalance in their relationship anymore

Moonpearl, Ziavory and Hoshiandme like this.
  17. Royalsoukoku

Royalsoukoku Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The girly and annoying uke and the strong seme. They legit took one of the most annoying thing from shoujo . Like they are both dudes .... Why can't they both be macho ?(I know I can read bara but that's not the kind of macho )

Also Chinese BL tend to akin their shous to females . It's like, I thought this character was gay so why is it that everything they describe about their interest that seem to attract them are feminine attributes.

Now if this was done because they were trying to explore gender fluidity and all those good stuff, I wouldnt complain but it just seems like they can't remove themselves from female standards of beauty .

Or maybe I'm just reading the wrong novels lol .

18. Hoshiandme

Hoshiandme A Wandering Star Who Watches From Afar

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. Praise it. The few novels I read with a good female character were to fucking die for. Having a girl friend in BL is so fun and refreshing to read! Like my gosh!

And to be honest, it did weird me out too lol. But I think it’s a chinese thing? Though, I think it just dictates who’s on top and who isn’t lol.

It is toxic. That’s not a good boyfriend oh my god.

PRAISE IT !! Yes! Entirely, it’s not like the MC in BL novels don’t “look” at females, it snore like there’s NONE. To LOOK AT. They are either bitches or sluts, and it’s so annoying. And I do enjoy eye candy. But not everyone can be gay, so can we have didferent kinda of representation here?

Yes. I hate the the whiny and weak uke trope. It’s by far the most overdone and annoying.
    I read my BLS FOR SOME MAN ON MAN ACTION. If I wanted a weak helpless feminine MC, I’d go read a shoujo or something. But no. WE GET FEMININE BOY.
    I don’t like reading about such characters when I’m in the mood for a good BL.
    #ANOTHERPETPEEVEFORBL

YEA I KNOW RIGHT. That trope where they do it till the MC passes is out is so not realistic like oh my god. No guy can last THAT LONG. Oh my dear lord Jesus.
    Honey, at this point, your boyfriends looking for. A cum dumpster.

Yes, to be honest. That’s annoying. The overly possessive male lead is so done. THOUGH I DO LIKE READING IT. It happens everywhere. Straight novels, gay novels, shounen novels, like damn.
    Another pet peeve.

And A PET PEEVE I JUST REALIZED WHILE TYPING. Oh my lord, can we get a couple who’s a bit flexible in the bed area? One guy has to be top. And the other bottom. And that’s it. Like, EXPERIMENTING AND BEING VERSATILE IS A THING. Why hate something you don’t try. But in every BL, is like some no no line no one dares to touch or cross, like oh my lord.

And repeat, another pet peeve for those who didn’t read, masculine couple.
    MASCULINE COUPLE.
    MASC. ULINE. COU. PLE. Is that so hard to ask?
    If I wanted some feminine air headed bimbo who can’t do shit for himself, and is always acting like a girl.
    ID GO READ A NOVEL WITH A GIRL MC.
    Like, what? Can’t people in a gay relationship both be masculine and not be woman?
    I’m so damn tired that everyone’s so girly and oh my lord. I can’t even.

19. Nyann

Nyann Nyartist

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. That's one of the reasons I kinda grew frustrated of BL mangas/manhuas.

Let me talk of a situation which contradicts these tropes.

Mo Dao Zu Shi
    I like how in the entire story the bl or rather the romance had been focused on the main couple very beautifully and generously rather than popping a bl couple everywhere. In mdzs nobody else is gay officially except the main couples.
    I don't even ship unofficial bl couples in as hardcore manner as the main couple. I low-key cringe when crazy fans start shipping ships like XiCheng like crazy even when Jiang Cheng and Lan XiChen hardly had any interaction.

Also the straight to gay/bi development. A guy doesn't think he is straight in day one and realise he's gay on the next. It takes time. If the feelings aren't deep rooted even in fiction it's not logical that a straight guy becomes "bent" so easily.

Also, the role of females. Even if there's some villainous female, that's not because she is a love rival of the mc/ml. Even a minor love rivals like Mian Mian had a sweet personality. She wasn't yandere or a hoe or anything. Female characters like Jiang Yanli, Wen Qing, A-Qing are loved dearly by the fandom. The females have actual personality than that of a jealous bitch.
    There also straight couple's there. So yeah, in a way it was real refreshing and unique for me.

Also stuff regarding girly ukes and dominating seme. The uke is easily one if the most badass and manly there is. The seme is forceful in bed but he DID NOT force the uke till they confessed and we're officially together. Which after a long long time of waiting. The seme's patience and dedication tops over anyone for me.

LETS NOT FORGET PLOT. ITS THERE.

gingerale, Moonpearl, Ziavory and 3 others like this.
  20. Halmista

Halmista Doctor of Books

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate how the ML kept putting down the MC and kept calling him stupid for the littlest of things. I came from a very toxic relationship before and their relationship in that novel mirrored mine so heavily, it gave me shivers. I wonder how people find that romantic?