Discussion How did you get into reading translated novels.

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by UDI, Mar 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaidenFury

KaidenFury Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't quite remember accurately which how I started, I believe I got bored with manga and somehow came across Mushoku Tensei, but I also strongly remember reading a novel on Scrya Translations "So What if it’s an RPG World!?". Although im pretty sure the novel was terrible, I enjoyed it at the time. From there I jumped around from wuxia, to skythewood, and many other wordpress websites before finding Novel Updates.

2. gheist1234

gheist1234 |Path Finder| 『WuxiaWworld Vet.』|Beardy| |Zen|

Reading List:
    Link
    Guess for me it was from mangas, found some interesting and that they had books, so i started reading on bakatsuki a few and then really got into it

Scheherazade likes this.
  3. lichdeath

lichdeath undead meatbun ^^

Reading List:
    Link
    re: monster wanted more discovered lms and from there ...

Scheherazade and Astaroth like this.
  4. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    At first, I was reading JP light novels and web novels. Then I came across 3 Manhua, Zui Wu Dao, TDG, and BTTH and the rest is history.

Scheherazade likes this.
  5. UDI

UDI Writer / Emcee / Lime Blood

Reading List:
    Link
    re:monster became so disapointing

6. UDI

UDI Writer / Emcee / Lime Blood

Reading List:
    Link
    I still need to finish battle to the heavens.

7. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Watching chromed shelled regios then tried finding the manga and stumbled upon the novel. Then reading MT and Shieldbro on the TL site first then NU was born. I started lurking and reading after that.

Scheherazade and UDI like this.
  8. jingsen

jingsen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It started from reading mangas, and I just googled a title for fun, somehow found novelsupdate and my live is less boring now. It was the best decision of my live now that i think back about it.

9. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Baka-Tsuki Era >
    Bato.to Forums >

Reddit > Light Novels > Noveltranslations

And found myself on NuF.

Started with Tate no Yuusha (Shield bro) then Mushoku Tensei

10. kuu0haku

kuu0haku [ ]

Reading List:
    Link
    It was from watching haruhi suzumiya anime, finding out that it had 8 volumes of LNs released and then reading Haruhi on baka-tsuki. I just explored all the novels there and found NU much later.

11. MasterCuddler

MasterCuddler Handsome Chicken

Reading List:
    Link
    came to know about the existence of LN and bakatsuki when Maoyuu anime came out, I wanted to know more but decided to wait after i gain more exp in this otaku shit. After mushoku tensei manga came out i decided to finally check out the LN scene due to anime and manga drought. :blobgift:

12. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly don't know how I discovered Legendary Moonlight Sculptor at all, how did I end up on japtem and royal road? (And this was long before the awful LMS manga adaption btw)

Anyway, I used to read quite a bit of manga ever since an online friend recommended Half Prince to me, and eventually I'd see comments on these manga sites (aggregators) about the mangas being based of novels and there being more chapters...

Like for instance Mushoku Tensei and Re:Monster.

Then there was the Light Novel, Novel Translation, and whatever the subreddits were called, and of course aho updates.

I guess it was somehow from there that I was exposed to LMS which made me read on japtem & RRL which led me to read quite a few originals on both those sites as well.

Then there was Coiling Dragon and Stellar Transformations, I had actually tried CD on SPCnet once before but didn't like the first chapter, it wasn't until the wuxiaworld site (the previous one) that I really got into chinese novels.

Then there was Novel Updates and slowly I stopped using Novel Translations reddit and aho updates (plus I think aho kind of shut down at some point as well?).

And actually now that I think about it, aho updates also showed some originals. I remember zombie knight being listed on there, though I personally didn't read much of it.

13. jinxs2011

jinxs2011 [Rebel Against Normality][Writer of the Unusual]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't remember at all, tbh. I think a friend recommended that I read some novels, might've been mushoku tensei or arifureta. I remember that for quite a while I just had all of them bookmarked and would check them all daily... think I found aho first, but it didn't have some of the novels i was reading, then found nu and it did?

14. LordRikudo

LordRikudo 【Master of YEET】

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, let's just say I was into... *cough* slavery *cough* doujins at the moment...
    Then I searched for some smut... somehow I got a link for Death March, clicked it, aaaaand now I'm here, two years later.

15. die4jingshi

die4jingshi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    mine started with baka tsuki translation of sword art online (the original ln), then i moved to shield hero. since there were plenty of jp novels that are either translated snail pace or abandoned, i naturally got hooked on ch novels - coiling dragon & combat continent

Scheherazade, Dr_H_16 and UDI like this.
  16. pukeofhurl

pukeofhurl The Philosopher

Reading List:
    Link
    i remember running out of most anime and manga and looking for something new i started looking for japanese light novels which lead me to baka tsuki and then when that started getting popular DMCA's went out on mass over a few months then i found coiling dragon at about chapter 30 translated... which led me to a sub reddit that led to aho-updates which then eventually led to novel updates since it was basically a better version of aho-updates and then i ended up reading about half of the novels on this site

Scheherazade, die4jingshi and UDI like this.
  17. _lucas_

_lucas_ Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Searching something easy to practice reading japanese that was also interesting to keep motivation.
    Found something translated, which at first seemed a good idea to check how accurately was reading it or when stuck, ended reading translation instead.

18. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
    Got introduced into anime and manga. Watched Haruhi Suzumiya, dissatisfied with the ending, find the novel on Baka-Tsuki, dropped the novel, because my English comprehension was terrible back to then, couldn't understand shit. Watched some more anime, levelled up my English efficiency. Watched DxD, read the novel, EXPAND list. Found NU back in March or April 2016, tried to register, failed for whatever reason. Use bookmark on browser, saw a really good novel, decided to make an account to review it. Decided to check the forum for a little bit and then disappeared. For whatever, got stuck here.

FML.

19. jbturkle

jbturkle Fruit

Reading List:
    Link
    I first watched some anime. Then I ended up looking for source manga when I was caught up on seasons. Then I found out that some manga and anime are adapted from novels. I Googled some titles and ended up on NU.

20. Nedrey

Nedrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Been watching anime on TV since I was a kid. Then i discovered internet. Then anime streaming...then manga when I couldn't wait for next week's episodes. Then I discovered baka-tsuki (Kaze no Stigma, Chrome-Shelled Regios, etc.). Around that time, I also found re:Translations (re:Monster), then I found LMS somewhere later. After that, I found Coiling Dragon early on in some forum (spcnet? i think it was called) which I followed before Ren created Wuxiaworld and moved it there. Gravity translations came after, then I somehow found novelupdates. How time flies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.