Translation status

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Dxynix, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Dxynix

Dxynix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So does Novel Updates have a way to view the translation status on novels like ongoing, dropped, or hiatus? I know it has completed status but I feel if they could put statuses like ongoing translation and others, I think it would make it a bit easier for me to find novels I could read. Just an idea, I've been using this site for longer than I could remember, so I don't think it exist. The closest thing I could think of that is close, to this, is the release frequency but that can't really tell if someone picked it up again.

2. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    nope.

3. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    There's nothing built into the system but if you really want to then you can use reading lists to sort them yourself.

4. tsundere_taichou

tsundere_taichou [Cute Demon Sect]

Reading List:
    Link
    No point, according to my understanding NU doesnt consider a 2 and a half month break a hiatus nor does a 1 half chapter a month release mean its a dead translation though logically they are

What i feel NU needs is a translation rating as people will downvote a novel just because someone butchered the english language while translating it which is not fair for the novel.

5. Haylias

Haylias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As much as I would love a translation rating in an ideal world, that sounds like a pretty good vehicle for drama.

6. gingerale

gingerale Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Imo the hiatus/dead standards that NU has are pretty fair, since some novels simply have chapters that take a lot of time to translate well. As long as the definitions of active/hiatus/dead are clearly communicated, there shouldn't be too much of a problem?

Mainly, I think a status system can be pretty helpful if it's displayed along with more accessible metadata so people/translators can easily browse for active/inactive novels without having to click in to check the date. They'd probably still have to click in to verify status, but a status display could help streamline the process.

^ +10. I can almost see the flames. Personally though, I think I would benefit from some tag showing MTL vs. human translated (and maybe by learner/native speaker) or something. That could be a more objective way to categorize quality of translation.

7. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    Just check the last time said story was updated??