Resolved About Wuxia/Xianxia System

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by 07-Tail, Mar 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 07-Tail

07-Tail Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    before that, i'm sorry for my bad writting and if my questions quite a bit dumb, because this is related to my research assignments.

1. why novel chinese especially wuxia/xianxia always have cultivation system in their stories?
    2. why it does seem like game system? like... each characters have to level up and make a breakthrough,, become strong as soon as possible(?)

Can someone explain to me? :")

2. zhainan2157

zhainan2157 『Villager No.2157』『Kawaii Connoisseur』

Reading List:
    Link
    Because if there is no system that’s similar to a level, how will us readers understand the OPness of the MC, if the author just writes that the MC barely beats every opponent meets, then that would be boring. We need a level system to understand how OP the MC is for beating people higher leveled than him.

3. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
  4. RedIska

RedIska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's their culture, mang.

5. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    2 answers 1 because it is.

Tanhalevi likes this.
  6. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Influenced by religion, philosophy, eastern medicine; acupuncture, qi flow etc..

7. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cultivation is mainly derived from Taoism and Buddhism, so it's mostly a cultural thing. Both Taoism and buddhism feature the concept of cultivate your body > cultivate your temperament > cultivate your soul > become immortal/ascend.
    I wouldnt really say cultivation novels have very much in common with game system novels, outside of the fact that they both feature lvling up and improving yourself in a way you can notice immediately (so, unlike say, muscle training, where you'll see gradual progress, in cultivation and game system novels there'll often be an instant change when your level/realm increase). The reason why the characters in both types of novels want to get stronger is obviously because the novel's main focus is action.

runsing likes this.
  8. OverlordPotato

OverlordPotato Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because they need to be strong enough to counter plot armor and generic Arrogant Young Masters. Otherwise they will face sect destruction and clan extermination. :blobsnow:

9. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I see that this thread isn't marked as resolved which means you mate @07-Tail aren't satisfied by the answers yet, therefore I will tell you the truth :blobpeek:
    You see, in the distant past, a special breed of creatures existed (humans, plants, animals, etc...) as the universe was even more misterious and filled with enigma than the current age, back then creatures got the knowledge and means to reach further and higher in existence, a special kind of energy that was spread in the world that let them practice or in other words cultivate.
    All those alive reasearched the way of cultivation, however since mentality differed from person to person, from one creature to another, many ideologies and doctrines were made and implemented thus some made sects, some wandered the world spreading their teachings to the 'lesser fortunate ones' and some to further search and research, some took advantage of power to conquer and build cities and make their empires while other even went further into creating their own plane of existence...
    Each trying to live longer, better or simply survive as they want, of course plants and monsters included thus bit by bit consuming that energy that 'permitted' the cultivation.
    One person who reached the pinnacle noticed the continued decrease in the energy and decided it was time to put an end to the madness before bringing demise as he feared he might die if the energy was exhausted thus he sealed the means and all knoweldge concerning cultivation from all others and limit the number of people allowed to learn, bit by bit, day by day, from era to another and at the same time working in the shadowns to kill all living cutlivators, until all knowledge and access to it was lost becoming a myth:blobowoevil_horns::blobpeek:.
    Now you might ask why the majority of novelists who writes about cultivation and Wuxia/Xianxia in their novels, are chinese and why the myth still lives amonst the chinese, the answer is quite simple.
    The decendants and students of that cultivator who reached the pinacle, albeit unaware, are the Chinese, thus the myths represents the glorious hystory of their founder therefore the myth lives on strong within the chinese :blobwhistle:

Heian Daojiu and runsing like this.
  10. Karyehs

Karyehs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    First of all, "Cultivation" means "controlled growth". Humans cultivate fruits and vegetables, grain and lifestock, their bodies and their minds.

I think the current novel version of cultivation is a derivate of personal growth and a perverted version of filial piety... The chinese belief of "the older you are, the more respect you deserve and the better you are". To love your parents and ancestors and be grateful to them is rather normal, but to brainwash the younger generations to "worship and serve" the older generation is a little more complex. Cultivation, and generally Qi-disciplines that train your body and concentration ability just reinforces this kind of filial piety hierarchy.

Many disciplined traditional Tai Chi, Qi Gong, Vipassana, etc.. practioners age surprisings well in comparison to our average western elderly person due to their practice (which is basically a workout in body and mind, while maximizing the benefits of sleep due to their disciplined and often less stressed mind).

Fantasy novels (wuxia, xianxia, xuanhuan, ...) basically start from the point where real practioners land after a life of practice. Often the first stage in novels is Qi condensation or body formation stage, where you train to the mortal limit. In a culture that treats Qi, Chi, Prana, Lifeforce, Mana, etc.. as the most important power, it isn't surprising to have lots of kids and juveniles fantasize about shooting Qi lazer beams out of their hand or using the air pressure of a slashed sword in combination with Qi (or intent rofl) to influence the real world.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  11. Galooza

Galooza The One True Walapalooza

Reading List:
    Link
    1) China's culture is based on a long history of martial arts and warring states/sects, so a lot of their media is centered around that. Extensions to martial arts are anything that involve becoming stronger such as cultivating energy.

2) Suppose it simply developed that way to give some system to understand power.

Wu Jizun and runsing like this.
  12. Wu Jizun

Wu Jizun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1/ Wuxia with cultivation? Which one?

2/ If we're saying all xianxia have a cultivation or gaming level up system, point out the cultivation/levelling system in the following small list of xianxia series
    轩辕剑之天之痕
    轩辕剑之汉之云
    古剑奇谭:琴心剑魄
    古剑奇谭二 永夜初晗
    仙侠奇缘之花千骨
    与凤行等
    遮天 by 辰东
    逆秦 by 三十六年落

moral of the story: translated series aren't representative of the genres.

13. 07-Tail

07-Tail Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    aah I'm sorry, I just logged in now ... many thanks all, all of your answers are great! this really helps me, thank you :)

14. Miss Ruby

Miss Ruby 『Candy Floss』『Black Blood』 『❄️Ice Princess❄️』

Reading List:
    Link
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.