LCD The Desolate Era

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by JJ, Nov 4, 2015.

1. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    1) Never claimed it to be a factual statement. What I am saying, however, is that these webnovels have never been successful in that field in the past. Yes, they might in the future. But till then, i have no reason to believe otherwise. Ergo I am making it my opinion, waiting for it to change.
    2) Filler has never changed. Its quantification has. In novels, a 30 chapter arc can be a filler. But generally, it is measured in words/effort taken to get through it. Ekther way, the definition/subtle variations in the perception of fillers is not what we are debating on.

Waaazzap and Viola like this.
  2. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    He never made a factual statement. He gave an opinion that it won't work out in the end.

But if you want proof of how filler drops readership or viewership then all you have to do is read reviews of large novels where many point point out their problems with filler or even look at the viewership statistics for some of the very long lived anime. You can see a drop viewership once they start reliably making filler content.

On a personal note I used to watch naruto weekly until they started going crazy with filler. I pretty quickly lost interest minus 1 of the filler arcs. And it made me drop the anime.
    The statistical and first hand evidence is there and not too hard to find.
    While filler isn't ever usually a death blow to any format it is nonetheless a negative and will deter and lose fans who are more discerning. All the little children don't care, they just like everything. Why do you think Young Adult novels are so painfully basic and filled with plot holes... cause kids dont care as much as a more learned person. Anime shows with tons of fillers know they can get away with it and make money despite the backlash. Same with novels to a lesser degree, especially when many of the authors in China are paid in views per chapter... meaning the more chapters they have the more mula they make. You also see varying level of filler content from less established authors. It does hurt the product. The only thing in question is exactly how much which depends on a whole bunch of unique things.
    Bit off topic but meh I was on a roll.

Saitama.sensei likes this.
  3. Saitama.sensei

Saitama.sensei [[xiantian lifeform]]

Reading List:
    Link
    Gave you the like just for this (y)

Viola likes this.
  4. Insanityplea

Insanityplea *Head Tilt*....*Fart*

Reading List:
    Link
    This is in relation to Book 36, Chapter 3.

Fear Grandpa Ning! The ultimate stalker! From birth to death, sometimes he shows himself in disguise to tease you or teach you but never does he show his true self until you lie there dying "Iv watched you for so long~~~!"

5. Saitama.sensei

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol I’ve re-read DE twice since it’s completion and that chapters always puts a smile on my face :blobjoy:

6. Mercy

Mercy ...

Reading List:
    Link
    Now i wanna re read it cause i seem to have missed that part or just forogt it lmaooo

7. Insanityplea

Insanityplea *Head Tilt*....*Fart*

Reading List:
    Link
    Iv re-read DE a few times before its completion just because I read too many books its hard to keep track of characters and w/e the fuck is going on after months of not reading something....by the time it got completed I looked at it and went "I refuse, im not reading up to Crimsonwave Realm again!" then I did. kinda depressed that Ning didnt become a Grand Mist controller :( Just a measly Chaosverse Lord. Thats like being an Exalted Celestial in Qin Yu's home cosmos or one of the (forget novel term) peak elemental controller of the different planes for Linley!

Edit for reference: Qin Yu would be MC of Stellar Transformations and Linley would be the MC of Coiling Dragon, both of which are IET novels. Also I just spoiled them, so if you havnt read them, hop to it so you understand just how badly ruined it is/was now. Granted it seems Coiling Dragon almost always leads people to Stellar Transformations which then goes to DE and other IET novels. Unless you didnt like CD then...well I guess you probably wont read this novel either cause its kind like same shit different color.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  8. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m rereading this book for the millionth time and just like clockwork, I cried when his mom died.

9. kennykdogg

kennykdogg Sage of 7 sins

Reading List:
    Link
    don't get too sad darknorth will gather the 7 primordial chaos orbs in wish her back.

10. Saitama.sensei

Reading List:
    Link
    I’m rereading it too but I’m up to the part where he just failed his dao merge :blobpats:

11. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    There a sequel I don't remember?
    I thought.
    He only found them in their next lives and saw they were fated to be together.

12. Saitama.sensei

Reading List:
    Link
    He brought them back to life after he fulfilled northrest’s lifeblood oat about reaching vast heaven palace

Viola likes this.
  13. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    Re-reading this, and I still don't like the sword formation crap. It's cheap, lazy and trashy writing. It just fulfills the author's need for a simple and lazy strength by numbers. Every time the mc uses it and pisses out "rainwater" all over his enemies, I can't help think about what a clownish technique it really is. Mc should have been a formation immortal instead of a sword immortal.

14. Magron

Magron Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably, but his father didnt teach him the way of the formation, he didnt use formations to make his dad proud, and he didnt use a formation puppet at the Black and White school while he was enlightened, all because he was skilled in formations doesnt mean they were loved in his heart. And the rainwater was a domain, not a formation, anyone who understood the Dao of Rainwater could do the same thing just have their own way of attack, Ji Ning just happened to be able to turn his sword into rainwater. Also, other formation masters, if given the sword formation might be able to use it, but unless they knew the Dao of Swords they wouldnt be able to use sword arts with it.

15. Saitama.sensei

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven’t read it in a while and not sure which sword formation you’re referring to but if it’s the earlier one against that snow dragon school with the rainwater then it isn’t a formation. The dao of the sword is a technical dao while dao of rainwater is an elemental dao, he fuses his understanding of rainwater into his sword art and when his sword art is unleashed it makes it seem like rainwater. Like that 9th stance of the 3 foot sword looks like black dragons but that’s just the manifestation of the sword art, it doesn’t mean he understood the dao of dragon lol

16. Magron

Magron Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lesser Thousand Sword Formation, the one he uses the 3 darknorth swords as a foundation base, he buys 1000 fire swords and 1000 water swords at a later auction (i dont remember the numbers)

17. c.decora

c.decora Holy Cardinal, Ascended Mouse

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe it's because you're caught up on the definition of formation here?
    The 'formation' in 'sword formation' here is the formation as in battle formation, i.e. a technique on how to attack with a bunch of swords. And not like an array formation, i.e. not a formation/array master formation where setting up the swords a certain way would cause a qualitative effect like illusions or something.

18. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you quote the right post? Your response doesn't seem to have much to do with what I said. My reference to the "rainwater" was about how lame it is because it's kind of like shooting urine out of a sword formation.

19. Viola

Reading List:
    Link
    I've never really been a fan of strictly attacking formations used in novels... formations that are used as fluidly as any other skill or the simple swinging of a sword.

Formations done right... I'd use King Shura as a prime example of that. And sadly, the sword formation of Desolate Era and most other Xianxia as the worst offender.
    They are so unlike formations that it just seems wrong to call them that in my opinion. It is usually just throwing alot of weapons of the same kind in a mystical and inscrutable way... just cheap.
    Though i will admit it is a good way to give a character a power boost without pushing their actual strength to a too high of a degree too quickly... still comes of as cheap tho.
    If it were actual formations that were almost ritualistic in approach and set-up then i would frankly be okay with a large increase in power through the use of formation.

Just some thoughts on formations since it came up....

20. Magron

Magron Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The 'Lesser Thousand Sword Formation' was an array, just a mobile one. His 3 darknorth swords acted as the array cores, he had to spend days adding marks to all the swords he got so they could work alongside the array. Once set up, all the energy of the thousand swords gathered towards the center of the sword formation to create an energy sword that could be fired at higher speed with much more power then he could do himself, and he only had enough energy to fire it a few times since he had to power it himself. Must not forget that Ji Ning got the formation from the underwater abode, which means it was one of the highest quality, meaning it being mobile is understandable. Any normal formation master would have planted the 3 darknorth swords as array cores, spread the thousand in the pattern around them, and stood in the center to gather the sword energy towards himself to fire it, that sound like an actual formation array to you? Only difference is Ji Ning's is mobile and can be deployed multiple times, worthy of being collected by one of the strongest true gods. Ji Ning only ever attacks with a few swords at a time, the only time i remember him 'attacking with a bunch of swords' is when he was doing the test of the underwater abode and used his divine sense to launch every sword around him in a last ditch effort to win, and when he was using more and more swords of the thousand sword puppet in the Black White College to understand the 3 Foot Sword.