Discussion Shoujo fans, come.

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Hoshiandme, Mar 21, 2019.

?

SHOUJO LOVERS UNITE!

1. SHOUJO DESU WA!

18 vote(s)
    94.7%
  2. SHOUJO JA NAI!

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Unpopular opinion: they should stop with old manga remake and finally do josei stuff. I was really happy when they animated 7 seed.

2. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Ghost hunt

Hoshiandme likes this.
  3. Hoshiandme

Hoshiandme A Wandering Star Who Watches From Afar

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, if it helps, I just found the whole background of the story interesting and unique. And Kyou was just too adorable to not love. And of the usual shoujo MC’s I actually loved the one from FB. She was honest, sweet, hardworking, and tried her best to be happy and to spread that happiness. And her best friends were some of the best characters I ever saw. The Yankee girl was sweet. And the goth witch girl was very... interesting. It’s like she knew everything, but it wasn’t touched upon.
    And I just loved how MC interacted with everyone. She helped to heal the trauma of being a Zodiac member. Which they really need, because, the trauma was hardcore stuff. Like damn.

Also. ANYONE A COW FAN?! I forgot his name, but my absolute favorite was the cow/ox guy. He was the cutest thing I ever saw.

And, about ouran. I know right? It was so popular. I don’t know why we never got a continuation.
    And I have to say the writing was rather subpar in the beginning. The author tried to show character growth, but did the whole “I never age magic” and for some reason when the 3rd years were going to graduate. They didn’t. Because she just wanted them in the story more. Like hello. Put a university right next door to the prestigious school and academy.

... Yes. Now that you’re speaking, josei. WOULD BE AWESOME. But, josei usually fall into the “drama” category and not anime.
    So, it wouldn’t really work as an anime? Since I’m sure more people would rather watch drama in the context of josei.

gingerale likes this.
  4. gingerale

gingerale Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's pretty fair. I just wasn't too big Tooru fan since she came off as a bit... unrealistic? Idealized? But definitely would be an amazing person to be around. I fell heads-over-heels over Kyou though (who didn't?) and I remember just being really happy that he wasn't just pushed off to the side as the second guy in a love triangle.

OH FAX. Highkey lowkey had to google "cow man fruits basket" to remember who he was, but YESS. I remember him and the novelist guy to be absolute mood-makers. Thank you for reminding me of his existence.

Oof yeah. Fun fact: the only reason I picked up the Ouran manga was so I could "roast it fully"; as in, I was so unsatisfied with the anime that I wanted to be able to express my unhappiness without anyone doubting my opinion. I thought it was so underwhelming for its popularity, and it just felt like a running gag show without the gag. I think the Hikaru/Kaoru arc was the one that. really hit me. Basic, I know, but middle-school me ate it up. I honestly haven't read it in so long so idek if my opinions are valid anymore, but the change in tone (from lacking gags to growing up) definitely left an impression on me.

Moonpearl likes this.
  5. Hoshiandme

Reading List:
    Link
    Cough. It was kinda obvious he was the main guy. Hello. 2000 shoujo? That of course means the bad boy gets the girl.
    And yes, Tooru would be a great freaking friend. It hits me really hard every time I see the scene where her little tent is land blown. And she truly becomes homeless.
    It also hits me when her actual family show up and they act like assholes. And her ACTUAL new and caring family want her back and accept her for who she is. Which is one of the scenes which made me love FB.

AND THE COW GUY YASSSSSS! YESSS! He was the most flirty and striaght forward. Oh my god. I loved him and Tooru. I HONESTLY SHIP HIM HARDCORE.
    Low key ship Tooru and the Seahorse guy.
    Your welcome~ I love the cow guy.!!!

Every one loves the Twin arc.
    And everyone hates Tamaki. I don’t know why they got together. I hate Tamaki. Like I really do, a lot of other love interests had harsher backstories than he ever did. And he wasn’t really that lovable. He was just there for laughs, and it wasn’t even good when they tried to make him serious. It just felt weird and gross. And awkward.

Moonpearl and gingerale like this.
  6. gingerale

gingerale Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pls have mercy! my poor 12-year-old heart had been beaten badly by lost love triangle wages at that point in life. 'twas a rough time.

I feel like, realistically, I could get why she'd choose Tamaki. He was more... stable? mature? if you compare Hikaru's recent mid-life crisis with his. But yeah, her declaration of love for him came out of the left field. They had little to no chemistry, and at that point of the plot, it'd just felt like the side gag character had swept in and flipped the flow of the story upside down. I remember the author even had to dedicate a specific chapter to awkwardly establish their attraction to each other.

But on the other hand, I was honestly pretty glad Hikaru didn't immediately jump into a relationship with Haruhi. Even if Haruhi and Tamaki went down the drain, at least Hikaru and Kaoru's character lines were pretty well-concluded. I was just ridiculously happy to read Hikaru's epilogue haha

Hoshiandme likes this.
  7. Hoshiandme

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand.
    I understand.
    The love triangles were crazy back then. I too was traumatized by a couple.

And cough, stable? Mature? He confused feelings of love and affection as some sort of parental bind.
    That’s just.. wrong. He was all the lovable goofball. And I can understand Haruhi respecting his personality and they being best friends. If we are talking about stable and mature, KYOUYA would have been the best fit.
    And just let me add.
    WHEN MORI-SENPAI GOT SLEEPY THAT ONE EXTRA CHAPTER?!?!
    When he got tired?!
    HE SPOKE SO MANY SWEET AND FLIRTY LINES. I need that boy drunk and on me right now, -nosebleeds-

8. gingerale

gingerale Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm not stable or mature in the canonical sense, but by just where he is in life? He's the older guy and hadn't recently just come out of a whole sever-self-from-twin experience. But yeah, the whole "mommy/daddy" thing was strange. I never understood what the author thought the story would gain from that.

KYOUYA. Oh god okay when I first read ouran, I didn't really care for him. Thought he was just the glasses guy and reminded me too much of this villain from one piece. But now? In retrospect and after having seen him pop up in random corners of the internet, my. goodness. bless him--just. bless him. (thinking back, his scene with haruhi had me shook.)

I was surprised they didn't try to get Mori sleepy more often. Would've definitely spiced up his and honey's side of the cast.

Hoshiandme likes this.
  9. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    The Squee-ing in this thread is annoyingly deafening. :notlikeblob:

But I liked FB too...:blobtongue:

(and I’m in a good mood after watching latest Arifureta trailer in hd):blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::aww:

10. Moonpearl

Moonpearl Professional Yuri Girl ❀ [Yuri Garden Creator]

Reading List:
    Link
    The new art is terrifying... I was excited about the reboot, but after seeing Tohru's weird ass face and how unattractive they managed to make Yuki, I'm going to stick to the manga, like before.

EDIT: Although I'd love a Kirarin Revolution reboot. You can't really get worse than the original art for that series...

She's idealistic, but I always found her very fun~! She never grated on my nerves the way other shoujo protagonists could.

Also, the revelation at the end of manga made her whole personality make more sense to me...

I never got to buy the whole manga, but I did watch the whole anime. I loved Tamaki the most. :blobpeek:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
  11. Andro

Andro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I like shoujo animes too.

My favourites are:

- Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
    - Ai Tenshi Densetsu Wedding Peach
    - Clannad
    - Air
    - Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai

Hoshiandme likes this.
  12. xiashenghan

xiashenghan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't been watching shoujo animes for quite some time (I'm more into shounen - specifically sports anime) and I'm really excited for the remake of Fruits Basket. It still needs a little getting used to with the new art but I'm glad that this is something Natsuki Takaya is satisfied with compared to the previous one.

If we're talking about shoujo anime, I would love to have another season of Yona of the Dawn and an anime for Io Sakisaka series specifically STROBE EDGE and Omoi, Omoware, Furi, Furare. I'm dying to watch them in anime form since there's bound to be disappointments when it comes to live-action series (visuals T_T).

Hoshiandme likes this.
  13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't get the OP, shoujo always got some animes every season? Shoujo audience is probably the 2nd biggest, beaten only by shounen...

Hoshiandme likes this.
  14. Night Ghost

Night Ghost Well-Known Ghost Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah
    We need More josei and seinen stuff!!

15. Hoshiandme

Reading List:
    Link
    Kyouya and Haruhi would actually make the best couple. But Tamaki was his best friend, and he didn’t want to hurt him. So he stepped back and let him. But he’d always be there for Haruhi if she needed him!
    And yes. DRUNK MORI BEST MORI

COUGH SORRY. That’s what we do.

The arts not that bad, how does she look terrible?
    And cough, I am open to your opinions, but why. He’s just too.... blah....

The main reason why I’m going crazy and hectic is because, yes shoujo audience is big. BUT WE NEVER GET A COMPLETED ANIME. We never get a full length adaptation of the manga into anime form. It’s always like the first 20 chapters, and we only get 13 episodes.
    Whereas shounen gets to run and keep running for years and years and years. And there’s always noise and hype for all of them. And confirmations of continuous seasons. While shoujo anime gets nothing. Sometimes we get a drama adaptation but that’s not really the same. The drama adaptations don’t even complete the whole series. They just focus on the beginning and than boom. When we start liking and loving the series it ends.
    We get absolutely shat on compared to shounen anime.
    We NEVER really get a complete anime adaptation series!! And even though we scream and cry for more! Nothing happens, whereas something is always going on with shounen.
    Hence why I am excited for fruits basket! A SHOUJO ANIME IS ACTUALLY GETTING COMPLETED COMPLETELY!!! ANDDDDD ITS GETTING A REBOOT?!?!
    No one reboots shoujo anime really.

JOSEI STUFF ALL THE WAY!!

userunfriendly likes this.
  16. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Dunno, CCS and Kobato got their animes completed, I think Chobits did too? Dunno, never watched the anime of that one.

Feels like you're overreacting a bit too much... Besides, the long running animes tend to get pretty bad because they must be filled with filler and what not, seasonal stuff with 12-24 episodes is generally much better.

Not to mention the main purpose of anime is to sell manga anyways, so not much point in covering the whole thing.