Discussion Tips on skipping Filler/Word-Spam/Red-herrings in Novels without using Wiki/Forum/Spoiler?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by SummerMascot, Mar 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SummerMascot

SummerMascot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So what's your strategy?

In the total absence of Wiki/Forum/Spoiler Threads, my personal strategy is basically to

1) Group chapters which have chapter names labelled as XXX-Part-1 to Part-Final together, then only read the Part-1 and Part-Final together.

2) Read the 1st, middle and final paragraphs of each chapter, and pray that all the paragraphs point to the same scene and the same number of characters.

3) If there's a scene change, it gets complicated because I have to now waste time backtracking to locate the last paragraph on the scene change :(

4) If it works, I can usually clear like 10 chapters within 1 min. Best record was clearing 30 chapters continuously within 3min.

My strategy works for CN Novels and maybe KR Novels but fails for JP novels.

2. naghi32

naghi32 The Loner

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes ... Page Down is your best friend !!!! Just press it untill you think it gets where you want it do ... It usually works !!!

Nusan likes this.
  3. Nusan

Nusan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i usually read everything but when there is situation where there is word-spam then i skip everything trying to find key words like: special, god, love, !!?? or dead/kill also look every 10-30 lines if there is end of this word-spam.

4. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    What about reading the novel without skipping anything :blobsweat_2:

5. PenguinXeus

PenguinXeus Just A Penguin, Kigurumi Wakuseijin

Reading List:
    Link
    Read the whole paragraph as whole instead of word by word, then focus on key word like character name, technique, place.

AMissingLinguist likes this.
  6. earthdrake

earthdrake Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally the fast reading technique of reading whole paragraphs on sight while fast forwarding, eventually you can get 60/70% of the meaning without actually reading everything in depth.

7. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    What I do when I'm unsure of the novel I'm reading is to either choose the latest chapter or a random chapter from the novel. Then, I start reading from the top for a few minutes. If I'm not invested into the story from the few minutes of reading, then I skim further down until I reach a part that interests me. If I'm still not invested into the story, I drop the novel. I may come back later if I get stumble upon it again, but repeating this process will still work to gauge my interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.