What Do You Think About Adblockers?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    The exempt below from a website owner is pretty telling lol

"
    Some ad blockers promise users to deliver only “safe” ads. Which of course means the adblocker companies are getting paid for THEIR ads, while publishers get nothing. Other adblockers install spyware on consumers’ computers.

"

Ad blockers displaying ads. Pretty ironic lol

Adblock Plus launches its very own ad network

Source: Link

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    reagents 11 likes this.
  2. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Always use adblockers. I think Youtube is the only site I unblock because it crashes on me when it is on.

3. Haylias

Haylias Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. tomanonimos

tomanonimos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well I use ublocker so theres that. I'm pragmatic as hell when it comes to ads. If the ads aren't interfering with my experience than idc of the details.

Fallion and tak like this.
  5. Sherrynity

Sherrynity I see no God up there… other than the chaotic void

Reading List:
    Link
    If the website isn't a total cuntwaffle in displaying their ads then I'll pause my adblocker.

6. Cygsiulle

Cygsiulle error 404: title not found

Reading List:
    Link
    "oops! this page does not exist"

i use ad block plus (more because i'm too lazy to pick up a better one than because i like using it), but one thing i liked about it was the way it put forth what counted as "acceptable" ad formats. so long as the ads on a page weren't plastered all over, knew when to shut up, and didn't otherwise interfere with one's browsing experience, then they'd be fine to show. that's why i usually don't bother with any site that blocks me for using a ad blocker. i'm fine with seeing ads, but if they can't be bothered to use a decent format, then i'm not really sure i want to bother with them, no matter how interesting the content might be.

now, as for whether it's also blocking ads that should otherwise follow it's format, i have no idea, but it'd be nice if sites just followed some sort of ad etiquette rather than just cramming as many ads as possible down a viewer's throat.

Fallion and raysha18 like this.
  7. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Adblock is the only thing that allows me to view most websites. Hell with so many dodgy ads it is practically a form of virus protection. I mean who the hell ever clicks an ad on purpose. It never just takes you to a legitimate website, it just opens another window behind your screen, or automatically redirects you to some mystery site.

Plus once you turn off the ads most sites end up looking a lot more professional. I don't need to see four different ads for age reversing skin cream, or top ten celebrity facts that will blow my mind.

Dkaepa, Toralk, Reyrey and 6 others like this.
  8. Drake98

Drake98 Concerned Fan

Reading List:
    Link
    eh? I don't use one?

besides adblocks just sucks just leave that kind of sites ok?

9. raysha18

raysha18 [Blank]

Reading List:
    Link
    I use adblockers especially on my phone.

10. Faetro

Faetro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If a single ad gets by my adblocker, either image or video, I have to fix it, upgrade or change blockers. I won't tolerate them, not even one, not even if it is unobtrusive. If a website does not want me to view their content because of it, I go elsewhere. The internet is a big place and I do not need that kind of crap in my life. That and I can safely say that in 24 years of internet use, I have never once clicked an ad or bought something based on one I saw.

11. drewjn

drewjn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In regards to the function and use... They are a requirement at times, but you also need to knowcwhen to turn off or exclude a feature to support sites you enjoy.

As for the hypocrisy of ads on adblockers, thats just the sorry state of things now. Ad block the ad block, block your phone number to stop robo calls, block your credit to stop abuse, block everything. Shut off java on your phones.

12. Aina Seira

Aina Seira Princess For Life

Reading List:
    Link
    I depend on mobile data so I have to use adblockers.... or else video ads and other annoying pop-ups will use up my mbs. Tragedy of a poor soul. Haha

Temujin, Fallion, drewjn and 3 others like this.
  13. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think ads are a great source of revenue and always have been - on any media. I also think that they've always been an annoyance and frustration to the viewers watching, hearing or reading them - on any media. On the internet, they're both better and worse than in other forms of media. On the one hand, they can be malicious. In fact, an awful lot of them are malicious. Things like redirects or intrusive popups are a common problem, but the ads themselves are the bigger problem: they often advertise malware or a wide variety of scams, preying on people who just don't know any better. On the other hand, we have adblockers. You can't do much about the ads interrupting your cable TV (despite the hundreds of dollars you pay for it every month) or the radio, but you can opt out of advertisements on the internet.

Adblockers are perhaps an extreme response to a problem that has gotten wildly out of hand. Ads are not evil. They're a very creative and successful replacement for your money, allowing you to enjoy products and services that you haven't paid for. You're paying, instead, with your time and attention. That said, adblockers have become almost necessary because that ideal has been twisted and abused online - to the point that the only real option anyone has is to completely do away with ads. Any less is just allowing yourself to be taken advantage of.

Of course, adblockers are not perfect. In the first place, they do not solve the fundamental problem: ads are not evil, just abused. Getting rid of all ads is not a solution. Instead, innovations need to be made that are outside the bounds of consumer control. Advertisements need to become less intrustive and entirely less malicious, while still serving the role they were meant to fulfill.

Instead of innovation in that direction, however, innovations have been made in other, more exciting areas: anti-adblockers, malicious adblockers that ransom ad space, and adblockers for anti-adblockers. Truly, this is the time to be alive.

14. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    War. War never changes.

15. TheDefend

TheDefend Public Dental Support

Reading List:
    Link
    Ads can go to hell. Each and every single one no matter what the content are. If i want ads, i watch tv

16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha you and @drewjn made me laugh my ass off
    You are right, instead of an adblocker maybe an ad minimizer will be better
    For example, you have a slider to block 90% of the ads on the page as the maximum and 0% of the ads on the other end.
    Maybe even have the option to block 95% or even 99% but not 100%

17. jersanxx1

jersanxx1 『Lost Toy』『Mostly Lurking』

Reading List:
    Link
    I can tolerate ads as many as it can. As long as : a.) It doesn't have intrusive ads(redirect ads or click lock ads for mobile) and b.) it doesn't burn my phone or laptop just because someone's greed is huge that they crammed so many ads that my phone/laptop's processing melts.

BTW @Wujigege , can you tell the person who publish OneManArmy releases at your website to put correct labels on it? As was confused af when it released like for example: OMA 124.... but the contents is one part of chapter 117. I mean, I'm game for part chapter releases, I ain't mad, I'm just leeching anyways. Still, the least you could do is put an [chapter #].5 or [chapter #].2 to signify it's part of the said chapter.

18. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I always considered making an ad redirector, where it loads all the ads separately from the main page and quarantines them so redirects couldn't be used. Too bad I don't have time...

Wujigege likes this.
  19. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    The previous and next chapter links will not work
    It uses a +1 system
    using .5 will require me to manually enter all chapter titles or the previous and next chapter links
    Not worth the trouble.
    If you want to take on the job of renaming the chapters to
    117 part 1
    117 part 2
    then I can gladly give you the job.
    I wont pay you though
    [​IMG]

20. Delirious

Delirious [Code of conduct]

Reading List:
    Link
    I have bad enough internet as it is, plus the fact that, even legitimate sites have malicious ads sometimes don't warrant me risking my comp. I feel that, if I like a website enough, as long as they have donations, I donate. If not, and I again, like them enough, I will give them a chance and white-list them. Until the internet - at large comes up with a proper solution for bad ads and shitty practices, it's Adblock all day for me.

Fallion likes this.