What Do You Think About Adblockers?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Mar 23, 2019.

1. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not really ironic. Adblockers know that in the end run if everyone uses adblock, the internet will just get paywalled plus small sites may not be able to survive. On the contrary, there are many ads that take advantage of exploitable code or the like causing security issue.

So what some adblockers did was create a certified ad vendors list. They do get paid money in some cases, yes. But the goal is to approve ad vendors who don't do intrusive ads. For example, non-deceptive text based ads and etc.

In this way they created a compromise between serving of ads to keep sites alive while serving the purpose of adblock which is to prevent getting a virus or eating resources shuffling through thousands of redirects or page being eaten by ads.

2. GrimVeilRule

GrimVeilRule Dux Bellorum

Reading List:
    Link
    I have ad blocker on most of the time. I'll turn it off on sites I read on. But the second I get a redirect or the ads lag the page or are to in your face it's on again.

3. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    I had the same issue when my previous fav anime site starting blocking adblockers. the trouble was it is loaded down with shitty ads so i went elsewhere for my viewing.

Speaking to OP, I find your site can be very slow in loading and some of the ads cut in the text so there's huge gaps sometimes. Perhaps you could ponder on efficiency of ads and their effects on the site while still trying to keep the same level of moniez allowing for chapters.

Wujigege likes this.
  4. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Well...
    Adblock Plus launches its very own ad network

5. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a way to counter that

Ublock Origin + Nano Defender (For Firefox based browsers) Needs additional configuration

or

Nano Adblocker + Nano Defender (For Chromium based browsers)

If it's detected you can just simply report it to the creator's official nano github page.

6. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    I legit never used any ad blockers. :blobdead:

7. Kiki0246

Kiki0246 Top Notch Fujoshi, Owner of ISO TLs

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't use adblock and ads never affected me (apart from dodgy chinese raw websites LOL). I wish everyone could just turn it off to support smaller content creators and if we're talking about translations, tell! the! translation! team! or! site! owner!! ;-; ads mess up so easily but nobody ever tells me and just stops reading on the site.

AliceShiki and Wujigege like this.
  8. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Won't running so many extensions make your device run even slower than viewing ads,perchance?
    [​IMG]

9. Wyrede

Wyrede Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not the case for me...
    In my phone, simply turning off my javascript increase battery life almost to 30-50%

In my pc, adding adblock and script blocker increase initial load time from 20 sec to around 2 sec in some cases

More importantly, when I scroll, it's smooth as baby's bottom :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Actually, I would still be fine if the ads are just jpg pictures, or a single gif, not a video or javascript animated frames:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Wujigege likes this.
  10. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, ads would be just be jpg pictures if content creators still work in sweat factories or follow The Huffington Post former model and do not pay their content creators

11. Wyrede

Wyrede Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it's not like making moving pictures, animated stuffs, are easier and cheaper, I would argue these would be much cheaper if you ask sweatshops for these contents

the ads recently focus more on silently, unknowingly, and 'accidently' shows up in front of your mouse, juuust before you click 'next' or 'read more'. At this point, ad content does not matter anymore (for site owners), owners just want them to click on them, of course after asking them to subscribe to their patreon and donate to their paypal

I know hosting website is expensive, and hard to get it right. But, is that your justification for maximizing ad income? I'd say, if you cannot cover your cost from donation & patreon rewards, you'd better not start a website at all. intrusive ads, misdirect ads now simply just lower your quality of content

Causal Reader likes this.
  12. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    What are you talking about ?
    Your post reeks of ignorance.
    And the fact that you condone sweatshops, shows that you really have something wrong in the head
    Continuing with you would be the epitome of stupidity

13. Wyrede

Wyrede Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yep, I'm ignorant and stupid :aww:

to make my point across, I felt like adblockers are necessity evil for the current state of the internet

and I'm a whale thanks for the waterproof phones, humans :aww:

14. LAOG

LAOG Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Turned off adblocker for the first time in ages and I can finally see Wujigege post again.

15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha

16. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    It ain't early 2000s anymore besides Ublock Origin is more light weight in terms of memory consumption than Adblock Plus which is known to be a memory hogger even if Adblock Plus does fix the problem there's a chance it'll happen again... :blobsmirk:

Wujigege likes this.
  17. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Touché

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    I remove adblock plus ages ago cuz~
    it pass weird ads back then~ so not really care about adblock plus
    oh also I run on data most of time~
    free wifi?
    muahahahaha!
    can I eat that?

19. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    The Ezoic Link redirects to a login page, so I can't access it... >.>

As for the adblock plus ad network? I think it's fine? It's good if they can use it to provide a safe ad network to site owners~
    Yeah, I think it's a good compromise~
    AFAIK most ad networks pay for impressions, as in, people viewing the ad, not clicking it.

And I save for some particularly annoying FF XV ads in the mobile version of Fandom wikis, I never had any problems with ads stopping me from clicking anything no matter what site I browsed...

Also, how could someone possibly earn a living from donation/patreon if they haven't started a website at all? First they need to create the site, put an ad network, create a patreon, ask for donations and keep producing content in the meanwhile... If the patreon money becomes big enough to the point it severely outgains the ads, then they might remove the ads, otherwise it would just be a loss of money, which is well... Silly to say the least.

Wujigege likes this.
  20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    This was a fun thread but many responses here are very naive.
    If everyone uses ad blockers, most things will get paywalled and small sites will shutdown just as @lnv said.
    Free WordPress sites and Blogger will shutdown too, novel updates will become irrelevant.
    Many says it is not my business or my problem.
    With things like global warming, I hope we humans are aware of our stupidity and know now that we do not live in a vacuum.
    Like the earth, the internet requires a collective effort to make it better or to destroy it.

Peace!