LCD Rebirth on the Stairs of the Civil Affairs Bureau

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Nom de Plume, Apr 2, 2019.

?

What do you think of the Female Antagonists Perspective

1. She made her choices, the consquences were both known and deserved

88.2%
  2. She made her choices, he should have waited for her

2.9%
  3. I feel bad for her

5.9%
  4. I don’t feel bad for her

41.2%
  5. He broke up with her properly

20.6%
  6. He cheated on her

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. She broke up with him

17.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    My thoughts are An An is either:
    • Selfish / Young / Inexperienced (seems to clash with her doctor status)
    • Mental trauma or broken home that scares her off from commitment
    • Doesn’t actually care for Xia Feng but likes how he cared for her (at odds with the time he dedicates to work) or his stable career / matching status
    • Mentally unsound and literally delusional

c3ltic likes this.
  2. c3ltic

c3ltic . . .

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually do, this is the first time I've joined a discussion about a story. It just goes to show how much I really like the story. (y)

Blitz, Nom de Plume and JuuHachi like this.
  3. JuuHachi

JuuHachi Be My Glucose Guardian

Reading List:
    Link
    i think it's more that she loves xia feng but doesn't prioritize him over her career and dreams, considering the timeline, back then as a female you either had to choose to being a career woman or wife, you couldn't have both. and that's why an an calls herself capricious, her career couldn't wait and so she chose it over xia feng at that time but realizing that xia feng may no longer willing to wait for her, she probably decided to try and have both love and career

c3ltic and Nom de Plume like this.
  4. c3ltic

c3ltic . . .

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahhhh! :blobflag:

You had to go remind me we were talking about a different time (even if only 10 years) and culture. One I am not as familiar with as I am the western culture. What westerners take for granted is not always the case elsewhere.

I still don't forgive An An for leaving with the timing she did though.:blobthumbsdown:

Nom de Plume and JuuHachi like this.
  5. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Welcome to LCD ;)

I really like it too. It’s my new Reborn as my Love Rival’s Wife.

c3ltic likes this.
  6. Pau

Pau Useless Hamster

Reading List:
    Link
    Now, I think An An really deserved it. :blobangery:
    She accepted the ring, but rejected the proposal.

Or should I say she runaway with the ring? :blobunamused:

Nom de Plume and tak like this.
  7. JuuHachi

Reading List:
    Link
    Truuuth

Can't believe I was right on the mark that An An was prioritizing her career over Cia Feng and made him wait for so long.

I feel like the two of them could have worked out if An An honestly told him she wanted to prioritize her career because Xia Feng would have understood it and waited for a better time to propose.

Communication is key

Nom de Plume likes this.
  8. c3ltic

c3ltic . . .

Reading List:
    Link
    It bugs me to do this, but I'm going to have to defend An An...(oh, it hurts to do this! :cry:)

Think about it, she is 3-4 years behind Xia Feng. As a doctor that is a huge gap. Xia Feng has had the time to get settled in his career, she hasn't. So I can understand her wanting to focus on her career. She spent years and a ton of money getting there. She has earned her right to that time. Unfortunately, she and Xia Feng were at different places in their lives.

However, what I don't like, and why I have such a big problem with An An is her extreme self centeredness. It is illustrated in her phone call to Xia Feng in chapter 4. The first part of their conversation was entirely about her and the house she rented. In fact most of chapter 4 illustrates her being self centered. (I want to call her selfish but that's not quite accurate.)

(of a person, action, or motive) lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure.

Now don't get me wrong, focusing on yourself and your goals is acceptable, admirable even. Taking it to the extreme, the way An An does is not. Like @JuuHachi said "communication is key". Just because you get married does not mean you can't continue to pursue your career.

Yes, I know it is another culture and time but it is not as if she was living in a cave and not aware of other choices. It all comes down to being willing to look around and communicate.
    If An An had gotten out of her self centered focus for a while she may have realized this. Unfortunately this didn't happen until after she lost Xia Feng. Personally I think it should have happened long before, but it just goes to show the extent of her self centeredness.

....before I rip into her. :blobangery:

I'm sorry, but taking the ring and refusing to give it back is tasteless! Gah!

And chasing after him to the lab? What gave her the *insert crude epithet* to do so?
    1. He introduced An An and Yu Dong.
    2. He didn't attend the welcome dinner, even when she specifically invited him (in front of his wife no less).
    3. He has repeatedly made it clear their relationship is over.
    :blobcatblush:

P.S. I may have lost the point...If I did I apologize.

9. tak

tak ignorant but well-meant

Reading List:
    Link
    same, same.:blobunamused:

Nom de Plume likes this.
  10. JuuHachi

Reading List:
    Link
    @c3ltic I didn't realize An An was younger than Xia Feng by four years, I thought she was only a year or two younger than Xia Feng. An An's self-centeredness seems to be a by-product of her shortsightedness, she is pitiful though. I can't hate An An but rather she's just off-putting when it comes to her whole relationship with Xia Feng.

She probably thought that with Xia Feng being older, he would have taken initiative all the time. Being younger, she probably wanted to follow his lead when it comes to their relationship the thing was, Xia Feng already had a stable career and had a foothold, An An was still building hers and everything she did probably roots from the fact that she was insecure about not being equal to Xia Feng, who already established himself. If all of their circumstances had aligned properly instead of having shoddy timing, the two of them would have probably worked out. lol but that's life and An An and Xia Feng at this point in their life would probably be better off away from each other.

I hope An An saves herself from more hurt and just move on.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  11. Nom de Plume

Reading List:
    Link
    Insecurity is also something that can be communicated. It’s very obvious that he didn’t do anything to fuel a feeling of insecurity while she did quite a bit to fuel his. He might have spoiled her a bit though.

In the end, they just weren’t suited. He prioritized feelings and she prioritized ambition. He would not have stopped her from going abroad or focusing on career after marriage. This is obvious by the way he himself went abroad for 3 months after getting married.

And if we speak about culture, women and men are highly encouraged to get married there. Just look at Yu Dong. If anything, he was very tolerant of her having her own career and dreams. Granted, some Asians, like in Japan, are getting married much later in life than before so they can focus on careers.

12. c3ltic

c3ltic . . .

Reading List:
    Link
    Now I'm confused. :blobdizzy:

@JuuHachi I think there are some inconsistencies popping up regarding An An. I had to go back and skim though and it never says how old she is supposed to be.

In chapter 16, An An referenced the first proposal:

"No!" An An anxiously explained, "I was only 22. I just graduated from college. I don't want to get married so early, I just wanted to start my own business."

(This is also why I was shocked she is a doctor.)

But in chapter 47
    , the ring was purchased after 3 years together (1st proposal?). He asked again 6 months later (after her graduation). And the final time when Mother Xia was sick. There was no indication of time between 2 & 3. But I thought they were only together for 4 years.

:blobconfused:

Nom de Plume likes this.
  13. tak

tak ignorant but well-meant

Reading List:
    Link
    for "starting business", maybe a mistranslation on "building career?" But i'm also shocked she's a doctor..
    Not sure about their time together/how old she is, didn't really pay attention

Nom de Plume likes this.
  14. c3ltic

c3ltic . . .

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought there was a mention on the start of their relationship. I just haven't found it yet. If it's there at all.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  15. JuuHachi

Reading List:
    Link
    let's all be in confusion lol i'm guessing they were together either 4-7 years (3 years since 2nd year of college, then 4 years after graduating). if An An just graduated college, when Xia Feng proposed then she was probably taking pre-med, and if she's still studying now then she's probably taking clinical training (I say clinical training since she's already at the pedia ward doing check-ups without supervision), so we can place An An's age at 27 or 28 by the time the new chapter takes place if she's taking the 8 year MD course in china.
    which means An An really has no excuse for her immaturity oh em gee...(can't believe I did math after uni)

Nom de Plume likes this.
  16. c3ltic

c3ltic . . .

Reading List:
    Link
    :ROFLMAO:(y)
    I try to avoid math. Spent about 5 years doing accounting for a questionable company. It fried those pathways. Honesty most of them not just the math ones.

17. JuuHachi

Reading List:
    Link
    #respect I hate math in general but ever since I had to take accounting as a subject in high school it gained a special hatred in my heart alongside calculus and statistics

18. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    An an made the wrong choice, she could have married maiden xia, talk it out, then pursue her career, but no, she feels like she's the center of the world and hurt maiden xia and thinks he will still wait for her. Maiden xia got hurt on the 1st one, broke on the 2nd, had enough on the 3rd. So she deserves it.

Nom de Plume, JuuHachi and Pau like this.
  19. JuuHachi

Reading List:
    Link
    I almost threw my phone off the public transport with the way An An acted in the latest ch the little pity I had is gone ugh what she did was so tasteless.

Also i'm not trusting xin xin's mom.

c3ltic and Nom de Plume like this.
  20. c3ltic

c3ltic . . .

Reading List:
    Link
    I take back not calling An An selfish. She is. Wow. I'm glad Xia Feng forced Yu Dong to calm down to explain the situation.

Agreed on Ren Xinxin's mother, I think she takes top spot in my hated characters. Even if she has had very little "screen time". I keep getting images of her snatching the baby and threatening Xin Xin, or using the baby for some benefit from the Lu family. She can't do it in the hospital, there are too many witnesses. But as soon as they are out? I can see it happening.

Xin Xin was raped by Lu Xuan. And mother Ren along with Mother Lu forced the engagement. Then continued to call him her son-in-law and insist they are going to be together.

I'm trying to understand it is a different culture, but forcing her daughter to marry her rapist...is really too much for me!