Question Stopping novel aggregators?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by yamibae, Apr 2, 2019.

1. yamibae

yamibae Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Likely the one and only method is to paywall the chapters because the aggregator owners won't find the cost worth it to get access by paying a recurring fee just to access one novel. :blobfearful:

2. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Isn't it easy? The bots use novel updates home page to function.. Just set the date of your release on novelupdate to 10 days ago
    @Tony should make an anti bot to the home page.
    Instead of crawling on all the sites it's more effective to craw on novelupdates home page where all the latest updates is. BTW isn't capcha against novelupdates regulation of no password protected content/locked contents? Well novelupdate kinda supports the alligator in my perspectives

3. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    As I said, there is a much better way >.>

4. Wyrede

Wyrede Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    block the NUF homepage to bots and they'll just directly target translators site
    this kind of thing is like playing catch, you catch them once, you cannot catch them forever

5. yamibae

Reading List:
    Link
    What way?:sleep:

6. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    You have to promise to keep it a secret though.

7. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    Well with the amount of new sites and the mass numbers of updates the it's more cost effective and realistic. There are constant novels being dropped and pick up by another groups there are also temporarily sites like forums and such.. Well novelupdates kinda supports the alligator with no Google Doc policy and all what not. Just change the upload date to 10 to 20 days ago if you don't want it get stolen when you upload.

yamibae likes this.
  8. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    I have been experimenting this quite some time and it worked wonders

yamibae likes this.
  9. yamibae

Reading List:
    Link
    Please DM me if it's secret :sushi_yes:

10. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    3 option link on every page is not actually necessary. One link is enough, you just need to make it so that it's not consistent. If the readers complain about clicking one or two links, well, that just means it's time to stop translating. Back in my day, readers would consciously click the ads just so that could support the translator. Nowadays everyone just think they're entitled to free, easy stuff.

Ai-chan guess you mean one of the two:
    1) norobots
    - Which is bad for most translators because it pretty much means your site will never be ranked. Aggregator bots will ignore it anyway.
    2) spider trap
    - Which is fine if you already have norobots. You waste aggregators' resources so that scraping you gets extremely expensive. However, this means legitimate bots like google will mark your site as malicious if you do not have norobots.

yamibae likes this.
  11. Kainord

Kainord Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was 2-3 years ago. Because they provided direct link to chapters they got a letter to stop or go down. Dumb reasons but worked.

12. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Such a tease lol

13. lnv

Reading List:
    Link
    It isn't a tease, I PMd them, if the method is made public, then it can be defeated, by keeping it secret and PMing people, it prevents it from being abused.

If there is only 1 link, a scapper can easily search for links within a certain box and click it. Of course you can have some invisible links to trick the scrapper. But that only makes it partly harder.

Close, think benefit of all without the downsides.

Zhaernon and Wujigege like this.
  14. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    PM then. I am curious

15. xiazixin

Reading List:
    Link
    It have no use, no robots.txt is just some thing for search engines to use. It help reduce the chance appearing on search engines if the search engines respect your robots.txt.
    You can remove your site map all you want.
    Our site black box internet service translation dose not have a site map and have no indexed on meta of all pages.
    The bots just take as usual.
    Its easy.
    They use the latest chapter release powerby novelupdates dot com. Go to the link. If characters of body in html more than 600, stole this page. If not check first links from this page whether if have a body with more than 600 text.
    I aways puts unedited links before my edited links. And the bots fall for it.

16. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, that would probably work but you'll be losing exposure from NU's main page. If you don't care about losing some traffic, this would most likely work.

I've tried blocking the bots multiple times but after blocking them, they find a way back. It's an endless loop and at the end of the day, I felt like it was better to use my energy improving the site rather than fight a losing battle.

No, a captcha isn't against NU's policy. How exactly is NU "kinda" supporting aggregators?

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from but NU allows Google Docs.

17. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, that's why you use a spider traps together with norobots. Legitimate search engines like google will abide by your norobots rule and will not scrape your content. Aggregates won't honour your norobots rule. Therefore, you put spider traps so that their bots are stuck in an infinate loop of scraping content that don't matter.

Not only you're stopping aggregator bots, you're giving a big middle finger to their faces. Of course, if they know how the spider traps work, they can modify the bot to avoid it, but until they do know, they will continue to waste resources without knowing why.

18. Zhaernon

Zhaernon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    PM me too xD

19. niznet

niznet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Instead bloking, why not create massive copyrights to annoy reader? (Not affected when read it on own website)

If I'm not wrong, Rebirth Online World did that...

20. lenyek_penyek

lenyek_penyek Badass Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you my lord. The website, however, doesn't include the dmca mangas like onepiece and many other super popular ones.

I use it a lot though. Its incredible how the site became so good in a matter of 1 year.