Question How Often Do You Want Chapters?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by DanteNotes, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Shirubame

Shirubame Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Daily updates would be amazing. But yeah realistically once/twice a week. If they are short chapters then an chapter dump is better.

Deleted member 125960 likes this.
  2. Waaazzap

Waaazzap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At this point I'll be happy if the series I'm reading aren't dropped.

3. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Depend on the length, but at the same time, depend on the contents, as in whether that novel is good/interesting enough for readers to want more or just want to see if it's good enough to keep reading.
    Typically, reasonably,

Readers can be satisfy with 1-2 chapters per day, even if the novel is bad, but people will keep on reading it because it might have hook them, interest them, some random policy like "not dropping a novel unless it's Really trash", etc...
    Readers can handle with 1 chapter per week, if the novel is good, or good enough.
    Readers can tolerate with 1 chapter per month, if the novel is Really Good and the Length is Worth the wait.
    What about 1 chapter per year? Yeah, you already lose your credibility as a "Translator" by that point in the Translation Community. Even the maximum point of waiting to determine if the project is drop or not is 3 months.

Then about the novel,
    If the novel is short or common length chapter, readers can handle with daily to weekly releases. If the novel is good, then daily to weekly releases. If the novel is bad, then only daily releases if you still want to catch people attentions and not dropping it.
    If the novel is long chapter, readers can handle with weekly to monthly releases. If the novel is good, then monthly releases are fine. If the novel is bad, then daily to weekly releases, depending on your skill, to keep catching people attentions.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Deleted member 125960 and Toralk like this.
  4. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Just dump every chapter at once and called it a day. No need to wait for in-between upload, just dump them all in. A day is too much waiting for me.

5. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Reasonable: 0.75 per day. Not part, chapter.
    Expectation: 3 per day. Even if 3 half chapters.
    Reality: Because there aren't enough chapters of the novels I want to read available, I go looking at the raws of languages I understand whereever I can copy-paste it into a latin converter and look up 5-30 chapters a day.

6. darksaint124

darksaint124 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess asking for a completed translation for the entire novel on the first day is asking too much.:blobparty:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
  7. Lewisking50

Lewisking50 Voidseeker, King of literally nothing

Reading List:
    Link
    All of them, without pause.

S̴̖̭͉̤̐͂́͡l̡̟̦͉ͣ̈͟͜ǎ̗̝̬͙̺̾ͬ͂̉ͭͥ̔Ṽ̟͙͖̆͂ͦ͘ͅe̜͍̱̤ͩ̓͘ ͛̋̔̍͒̇ͯ̿҉͝ͅH̵͋̎͏̱͚a͓̖̜̜̞͈̯̭̖̒͂̽͊Ŕ̞̭͇̱̃͊̂ͦ͊ͥ̈͡͝ḏ̢̩̤͙̻ͩ́̏ͥ̋e̘̯̻̜̻͂ͯ͑̽̏̾͢͡R͈̖̲͉̪͑͜

8. ru5ty

ru5ty Citizen of MILF Kingdom

Reading List:
    Link
    twice a week would be nice.i know translator got another thing to do so at least once a week

9. Kanna Kamui

Kanna Kamui Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love reading mass release at least 10-15 chapters :hmm: .

10. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    Daily releases at the same time each day is the best for addicting me to a story. Every 2-3 days is good enough. Once a week is torture. I might try to keep up with a once a week story for a while, but the long wait and often having to go back to find details I'd forgotten will eventually kill my love of the story. If you can't do better than every 3 days I'd recommend taking a few weeks hiatus (warn your readers first and give them an estimate for when you'll be back) to build up chapters.

11. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From the practical and realistic point it all depends on the novels
    Taking a standard chap as 2000 words

If the novel is bad ( it can be anything , it's not spicy enough or have a good plot or a lot of filler ) and is completed - then a daily chap is MINIMUM , it's not about interest in this one but about filling the time between their main books
    If the novel is OK - Again daily would be great but anywhere between 3-5 chaps a week is enough to keep a reader base going
    If the novel is Good - Anywhere between once a week to a month is fine , these r the ones reader wait to read for
    If the novel is Great - These can be tld monthly to bimonthly but u still run the risk of reader decline just not much
    Now the above criteria don't hold for special occasions such as Cliffhangers. If it is a cliffhanger it is suggested to clear that up in a time frame of 3 days MAX , if it is postponed more than that the chap and the whole story loses its spice

12. livorino

livorino Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  13. RNGesus

RNGesus <<+10 Luck upon seeing this Nuffian>>

Reading List:
    Link
    This is an interesting thought. It really depends on how much free time and how many novels is an individual following concurrently.

Personally I'm keen on at minimum 10 CN chapters a day, which is why I spread my attention across 8 different daily updated novels, followed by a dozen monthly updated novels.

Of course I throw this out the window when it's crunch time or when I take up a new novel with dozens or hundreds of chapters to read!

In other words, there's no need to worry too much about how many individual chapters a translator posts. Readers will always find a way to be busy. Just don't stop at a bullshit cliffhanger and it is a-okay!

14. GuldTasken

GuldTasken Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A reasonable translation pace depends on the amount of time you invest to translate X average character count.

Then, taking into consideration that you might have a real life. Perhaps, Once every three days? Alternatively three chapters per weekend.

I rather take a slower Translation pace with good English than a quick translation pace with Shitty English. Like using slang words.

Don't EVER use slang words when translating to English, unless it is a character's speech. It looks Utterly unprofessional.

15. AMissingLinguist

AMissingLinguist [Not Here][Blank Sect][Nuffian #N]

Reading List:
    Link
    A reasonable number for me is one. One MILLION chapters, that is. Jk. :blobfistbumpL::blobfistbumpR:

A reasonable amount is one chapter per 2,000 words. If a chapter contains less, I may read it, but it is unlikely for me to stay invested. I've only seen a few chapters that were interesting and less than 2,000 words.

16. DanteNotes

DanteNotes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm, weekly updates with about 10-15 chapters of buffer it is then. That'll be in about a month or two lol