Adventurers Guild Adventurer's Guild - Receptionist's Desk

Discussion in 'Roleplaying Games' started by AliceShiki, Jan 28, 2019.

1. Aion Satria

Aion Satria Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Lenaia

Raven was spacing out, as she handed a neatly written bundle of papers. She was never good at explaining herself verbally. At least not in any direct manner.

“This region is certainly different. This should sum everything up properly. My hopes are for a favourable evaluation,” she stated.

Quest: The Parties of Count Chocolove
    Baron Kuin’s mansion had an easily enough to find location, thus I made my way with minimum delay toward it. I’m not sure what kind of reception to expect, due to my current status, therefore I approached the gatekeeper on equal standing. The conversation flowed as follows:

“Hey there missy! What would be your business?” The gatekeeper asked, answering my question. It would seem I was regarded casually, to my relief.

“I am requested for a commission by Baron Kuin. I am to meet one Wizard Askel for further instruction.” I stated matter of factly, then my habit came out, “May you inform of the arrival of Miss Raven Ringo? I wish to avoid uncomfortable delays.”

“My apologies, Miss Ringo,” The guard said with a hint of disappointment, “I seem to have spoken overly familiar. Oi, Rodderick, send the boy to Askel! Tell the good old man his “commissioner” has arrived. I apologise again, Miss Ringo, we’ll have to follow procedure, before letting you in,” the guard hid a smirk. It was amusing, so I smiled back at him:

“Of course, I hold no protest,” was perhaps the most casual response I could muster.

Despite the silence that followed, both our discomfort was nowhere to be found. I saw him recognising that fact, and striking up further conversation.

“Miss Ringo, you appear to be a mage, but do not know of the esteemed Mr Askel… Judging by your earlier statement. Are you a first timer in these parts?” The gatekeeper asked.

“It is as you assume, I’m yet unaware of the local men and women of importance. Please pardon my formal speech. I am yet fatigued from my travels, and dare not offend anybody”. I briefly explained.

“I see. How would you prefer? Being addressed, or being called?” He asked smartly.

“It is truly up to your preference, good man. I am already at ease that you have deemed to obtain second impressions.” Those were my true thoughts.

“So I gather you plan to stay then. I see. Well, my name is Frank. Nice to get acquainted. Adventurers ought to know the little guys as well, I believe.” Frank said.

“I concur, especially the ones so observant, such as yourself,” I complimented. My face might have turned it into a sneer.

“It comes with the job, missy.” Frank smiled wryly.

“Tell the guest she’s allowed passage!” somebody shouted from behind the gates.

“We’re on speaking terms now, Rodderick!” Frank shouted back, then turned to me “You didn’t have all day, right?”

“Thank you.” I said, and walked inside.

“Frank you rascal! Stop confusing meee!” It was Rodderick.

“Miss Ringo, I’m led to learn.” Askel stated stiff lipped, as he was completing a document. From what I gathered, it seemed to be a report on the movements of beasts. It was upside down from where I was standing, so I could not read it fast enough, before it got neatly sealed, and disappeared on some kind of wind spell beyond the study’s window.

“You have arrived right on time, but time had something else planned for this moment. Sit over there, I will give you my attention in a few minutes.” Askel also addressed me casually. I had never known the attitude toward adventurers prior, as my former home was too developed to require their employment.

I sat down, habitually unnerved by the lack of refreshments upon reception. A sigh left my mouth, and I had the urge to summon Phantasm, but judged it would be offensive to the experienced wizard. Instead the library to the side attracted my attention. Time passed in a blink, and I was noticed.

“Tis’ a good collection, as you can see. You appear rather interested. Perhaps you have taste,” the wizard said.

“Tomes are what they are, sir,” I said, “it is not a matter of taste, but rather prudence that I remain informed.”

“A shame, girl, what is magic if not enjoyable?” He asked, causing me to slip.

“A duty to those who wield it,” I came off a bit cold. Thankfully his eyebrow raised inquisitively. I assumed it was not my words, but my attitude that caused it.

“Duties are not unpleasant, but people can often be. The worst my duties have caused me was stiff shoulders, the rest light on my heart, as a pleasant stroll with a friend.” Askel smiled to himself.

I felt regret that I paused for a moment, considering his words. He did look quite pleased, however, so I remained silent an instant further, before saying:

“If my duty was to a friend, I would probably be of the same mind. It has yet to happen to me, I’m afraid,” I said, gazing through the window.

“Friends are earned through favour. To earn it, you must either be, or do in favour of a person. And I respect doers the most. Your task was well explained in the quest description, I assume?” Askel questioned.

“The task yes, the circumstances no. May I trouble you with questions?” I asked in turn.

“If time allows. Use mine wisely, whilst you have it,” he said, smiling again.

“It was stated that the count has only recently been focusing that much on social functions. What caused the original disturbance?” I asked.

“It was Sophia’s coming of age. You are perhaps acquainted with the names of local noblemen at least?” He explained.

“Yes.”

“Then, this should be easy. Chocolove has long been trying to push his firstborn toward the young mistress, and her recent foray into light magic has only driven his ambition further. The parties are to make the boy more impressive, and force the lady to attend, as lately she has been less occupied with peer interactions.” Askel continued.

“How distasteful… Rather what makes this distasteful in the eyes of the Baron?” I asked.

“The themes of the parties are geared toward presenting a fantasy of the boy as a legendary hero. As such they require attendants to adorn theatrical costumes and force the lower ranked and attendants to act parts for the amusement of the children. As Chocolove is nearing an age mark of his own, he has been feeding his inner child better than his plump scion, making the events not only bothersome, but also gaudy and devoid of any tasteful colours in sight. He also lowered the amount of alcohol served, after an incident where a knight started swearing incessantly, making following parties even more miserable” ranted the wizard.

“So a children’s party for manchildren instead, I shall take note.” I rarely joke. Thankfully Askel was too busy staring at his tapping finger to notice, so I asked him ”Is there particular way you would like me to resolve this?”

“So long as you don’t cause insult or injury, everything is fine. You seem to have manners when careful, at least. Be careful. This invitation should take you through the gates. As you’re assuming the role of attendant, you will be forced to play a part in the farce. How you do this is up to you. We have requested that the guild reconsider mere failure on the part of the adventurer, but only if you are reasonable about it.” Askel hinted I should quit. I would have agreed, but I kept an open mind about the issue.

I felt a hint of nostalgia after receiving the paper. It was unpleasant.

Who in the nine pits made up this setting? Was my thought, after spending an hour in an uncomfortable wolfkin witch-maid costume. We had to recount the tale of the Beastman Alliance’s last stand at Arraka Keep. It is one banned in the Empire, due to its sympathetic tones toward the outnumbered demihumans, who finally met their fates in the giant hall of the stronghold. This version also contained some currently popular elements, which could be considered historical inaccuracies, to say the least, like this short skirted frilly costume of mine. Whoever painted my thighs and exposed back had no understanding of sigils and magic circles either, but was rather creative, when it came to kitsch and asemic letters. Due to my cold looks, I was given a villain role. I spent some awkward minutes trying to get defeated by equally unwilling participants, only to fail when the bell for the next round of refreshments had sounded. I almost went to the noblemen by reflex, but had to return with a hungry stomach to the attendant area. On my way I passed a door which was incompletely closed, dragging myself to finish the work. And then I noticed an article of clothing on the ground, and the sounds of moaning from within. It was not what you might think, but was equally unsightly, for I had found Count Chocolove hugging his knees in his undergarments, weeping.

I summoned Phantasm to clear my mind of illusions, but he was still there. The effect seemed to have carried through to him as well, however, as he stared at me wide eyed, silent. His eyes were swimming. His gaze turned angry. He shouted at me:

“You wench! How dare you embarrass me! How dare you! How dare you! How dare you! I will have your head!”

I panicked and showed him an illusion of an empty room, as I was stuck flat footed, my mind colder than my body, analysing the sudden incident. Then I noticed a peculiarity appear. The Count had no reaction, other than a look of disappointment. He returned to his posture, further upset. I could hear him mumble:

“I’m sorry father, I know I didn’t raise him well! Please stop telling me what to do! It cannot do this anymore! Let me fail and be done, please…”

Phantasm nudged me from the back of my mind. It was not any spell or curse they could dispel. The man was simply delusional. I left the room, closing the door behind me with care. After turning the corner, beginning to concentrate on the issue, an old maid barred my way.

“You saw nothing,” she spat out. I felt indignant.

“A failure of a servant has no right to give orders. Tell me what happened at once.” I reflexively took an attitude.

“Who are you to judge, whelp? Have you dug a grave early, seeking to be buried?” She snarked at me. I was already invested.

“The one who will succeed where all of you failed. You will assist or you will be gone,” I knew I had only words to aid me on this task. My other helpers would only produce corpses, and no illusion of mine could work so unsubtly.

“Right back at you, you impudent twig,” I now realised she was quite physically fit, and remembered my own costume. The old maid was a knight. She cracked her wrists. I had to be quick about this.

“A musclehead cares not for her master, only her own reputation? My death will not hide your shame for even a day. Come for your count, I shall demonstrate a cure for him!” I said, and ran away. Toward the small room the nobleman hid in. I almost got caught too. My breaths were ragged despite the small distance. I stood elated before the weeping man, a beast of anger behind me, my hands extended forward, as I chanted a mantra to focus on Phantasm’s power.

The knight saw the count stand up in anger, lost to confusion. The count saw his father angry, then confused for a moment. I used this to spin a vision. The man assumed the same posture as is son, then began weeping. He pointed at something, it was a sword. A sword that remained sealed in a wall, rusting, covered in dust. The man was then a child, he reached for the sword, but discarded his efforts in apathy. The old man came back, he was angry at the child, who was wearing gaudy outfits and playing around. I even sent him a message in blood. It read “Let this be a lesson”, and “While the kid is weak, I will return”.

I wish to apologise, sir, for this was the best I could do in this circumstance. As you can see by the result of the parties being called off, my only respite is the fact that I have succeeded, but my heart weeps for the good Count. I am afraid I did him a disservice, for which the only mercy was his unawareness of my involvement. As for the knight, we held a private talk among each other, and reached an understanding over the incident. As far as she’s aware, I have reflected upon my words, and admitted my incompetence. We agreed to speak to none about this issue, for which I’m doubly pained to perform the duty of informing you. I beg your pardon for the incident, but have prepared to face judgement for my behavior.

My prayers for Baron Kuin and his retainers when facing this issue further.

Testimony by Wizard Askel, The Red:

Baron Kuin and I, as representative, are happy to inform that the adventurer Raven Ringo has completed our request. While she has performed adequately in her function, we cannot provide the best evaluation. As this is, however, not unusual of adventurers, and considering her youth, we would prefer her reward being paid in full. Of guild matters our stance is neutral.

P.S. - Rosey, please tell the Guildmaster to come for tea once in a while. We’ve been too busy for our age, and this has to change.
    After acquainting myself with the requester’s representative, I collected information, attended the event, and arranged for a meeting with the help of my new contacts. The solution was unexpected, but provided adequate compensation for my efforts.

{{Hush money received, but prespent on lodging}}

Lenaia likes this.
  2. Lenaia

Lenaia Queen of Smiles

Reading List:
    Link
    ((Please quote the quest form on the top of your future reports.))

"Raven, welcome back! Your quest is done, yes? Let me have a read!"

The construct took off the reports and flicked through its pages with barely two seconds each.

"...I'm not sure if it's the best course of action, but well. The count probably won't start another strange parties anymore so it's a job well done. Still, don't leak the details of his plight in the future yes? We'll hold you accountable should you blab in a drunken stupor or such. Yoir reward, nine large coppers and four guild points. Congratulations on your first job!"

The construct stamped a [Classified] seal at the quest report, then handed over Raven's reward.

3. Xalysian

Xalysian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Valuren returned to the Guild hall and headed to the receptionist’s desk where the construct was standing still. He placed down the report on the counter top with a forced smile.

Day 1 -

That was tough, I managed to grab a quest about teaching a young boy on how to fight, or how to use a sword. After getting the approval about the mission, I left the guild hall but left myself to think for a bit. Do I still remember how to use a sword?

Veri, well. She of course, reading through my mind and was flabbergasted over my act-first-think-later behaviour. Hey, that was a spur of the moment, anything could had have happened. I could get a quest about teaching someone how to smile!

...Even though that quest seemed like a great quest for me. Since I always smile and all. “See! I told you! Think first, dummy!” Here she goes again, and… “Here she goes again? Of course! You always do this!” The continuous rambling from your other soul. I wish I could go back to taking a nap now…

Veri calmed down after a few walks into the town. She remembered what she wanted to ask me. “Say, you took that quest, right?” I answered her with a ‘Hm-mhm’, inside of my mind. Ah, talking internally are way easier than talking externally!~

“Should you go get some wooden swords, you know, for the teachings?” I stopped walking, that thought never crossed my mind. “Haaa!! This is why I told you to think first!!!” I covered my ears, she was screaming inside my mind. It did nothing to lower her loud scoldings. I tried to calm her down, but she seemed like she was about to burst into a rage fit so… I decided to go find myself a blacksmith - to hopefully buy myself two wooden swords.

At an orc’s blacksmith store, I found myself gazing into the orc’s glare. How curious, I wondered to myself. There weren’t any orcs in my home world, or that… they had extincted centuries ago back then. I placed my fingers against my lips - as if I was trying to say something to the orc smith.

“Mister, we would like to rent two wooden swords.” Veri, thank you! I’m really thankful that she communicated for me.

“Wood, weak sword. What size, human...girl?” Ah, what size… hmm… oh!

I heard Veri sighing at me, I know she did. “Average size for a young teenage boy, do you have it, mister?”

“Yes.” The orc smith went inside into his backroom - the sounds of shelves and chests being rummaged can be heard clearly in the day. I guess, no one really buy the swords.

“We aren’t buying them as well, Valuren.” she mumbled to me out loud. You needed to stop reading my mind that much, Veri. “No, you can’t even talk because you’re shy.” I am not shy! I am... just… Well…!

The orc returned with two wooden swords, he grunted at the dirty swords as he wiped the dust down. You’re really kind, orc sir. I really do think that.

After the cleaning, he shoved the two swords at us. It was really clean, that was not what I expected…

“How much should we pay, for a rent time of one-two days?”

“No rent, buy only. You give 2 Large Copper, I give swords.”

“Two large copper coins? That’s a bit… absurd for a wooden sword.”

“I clean, shiny. Now pay up.”

I take that back, you’re a genius bastard - orc sir. Well, deal’s a deal. I’d rather take a cleaned sword to teach a boy instead of a dirty sword. I took out 2 Large Copper Coins from my coin pouch that was from my leather jacket’s left pocket. We exchanged the coins for the wooden swords, and I left the store with two wooden swords tugged to my pouchless belt.

I don’t really find the uses of the pouches for now so, it was stored inside of my leather backpack (which is hidden inside the tall tree I’ve slept on).

Then again, on my stroll inside the town. I walked into the eastern district - I was scolded again by my inner soul for not knowing the place I was heading to for the quest.

We decided to ask a passerby for directions. She continued to ramble about me not knowing the orphanage in the first place, I mean. We never started to explore the whole town at all, Veri! I sighed to myself, after my third attempt to gather a person’s attention.

A green apple rolled toward my foot, I grabbed the fruit from the ground and heard myself a voice from someone I don’t know. It was a young half-elf boy, who’s currently heading straight at me, as if I’m stealing something, was it the green apple?

I pointed at the apple as the boy comes closer to me with his grocery bag at hand. He nodded before asking me to return it to him.

“Thank you, are you an adventurer?”

I nodded at his question. The simple, the better! Veri told me to cover my mouth quick, looks like I’m going to have to ask this young man for the whereabouts of the orphanage.

“Say, you. Do you know where is the orphanage in this place? We’re new to this town.”

“Witch Hat Orphanage?”

“Yep, that one.”

The boy then turned around and helped us by telling the directions to the place we’re heading. After that, he bid us farewell and leave the area, out of my sights. I noticed something about his appearance, he was wearing a similar apron to a certain person I met in my last quest. Oh yeah, it was the same apron that alchemist wore when we visited her store for potion testing.

He could be the alchemist’s apprentice everyone was talking about, small world. I smiled at myself before heading toward to the location I needed to be.

After a good walk to the orphanage, I had finally arrived to the place, huh? Veri seemed like she’s holding her laughter over the exterior appearance of the place. “No wonder it was called Witch Hat Orphanage!” She added, before she laughed inside of my mind;

“It literally a witch hat!”

You’re really rude, when you’re being truthful, Veri. She heard me, “I know, I know!”

White Hat Orphanage, the house for all homeless and parentless children. It still impressed me of the three-storey tall witch hat to be a home for the orphans. How weirdly awesome…?

It is also to be noted that it was painted entirely black, just like how a witch hat would usually look like.

The little owner noticed us nearing the orphanage. We greeted with each other and we explained about the quest, she led me to where Roy is and left us alone.

The young lad have a tanned skin tone - he had clearly been outside playing ton of times, a dark auburn spiky hairstyle, a cyan colour for his eyes. That colour reminded me of my uncle, he had the exact same eye colour.

He looked like a courageous type, seems like a good start to teach him on how to use a sword.

The boy looks at me with his eyes. How cute!

“Hello, onii-san! You here to teach me how to fight?”

I nodded at him, covering my lips with my right hand to let Veri introduce the both of us.

“Hello, Roy. The big brother over here is called Valuren, the one’s talking is big sis - Veri!~~.” I see, Veri also acknowledged how cute the boy looked like.

“Uhn…” Oh, I guess that we scared him with that introduction.

“Cool!! When are onii-san and onee-san gonna teach me?”

“But first, how old are you, Roy-kun?”

“Twelve!”

I sighed a relief one, I was kinda delighted that I managed to grab a sword that this young boy could lift it. He continued gazing at me, I gazed back.

Redness hit my ears, I had lost count on how many actually, I get nervous pretty quickly, I guess.

I smiled toward the young tanned boy and let my inner soul continue talking.

“It’s still noon, how about today? We’ll begin with the basics, okay, Roy-chan?”

I began to take out the wooden swords from my hip, giving one of them to Roy, Veri heard what was I wanted to say, helped telling him about it, “Can you lift this sword? Be careful though, it could be heavier than what it looks like.”

Roy grabbed the sword from my hand, he then beginning to feel the weight getting stronger as soon as I started to release my fingers from the wooden fuller. I looked at him with a concern, I wonder if he could lift it.

I released my grip from the blade.

“F-Fuhh! I’m okay!”, says the boy with sweats dropping down from his forehead.

I go over to his back, checking on how he’s doing - holding the wooden sword. His grip are shaking, a sign of getting exhausted over lifting a sword. I pondered to myself whether this was a good idea. I let Veri do her work, telling him about what I feel about this.

“Onii-san thinks that Roy-chan should put the sword down, he’s gonna think of a solution - to make you feel calmer when holding this heavy wooden sword.”

“B-But…” Roy sighed heavily, while looking down at the ground. “I understand.” He dropped the sword on the grass floor - I picked the sword up from the ground, I noticed something alright. His sword were too heavy, while mine was lighter. That damned orc again.

I patted on his shoulder while shoving him the pommel of the lighter sword.

“Try lifting this one, it could be easier for you now.”

He grabbed the sword from my hands, and it turned out that I was right. I knew it felt a little weird - seeing that I had no problems at all lifting my sword earlier. Ah, look at that determined eyes of that young boy.

“I’m ready now, onii-san, onee-san!”

“Let’s begin then, shall we?”

First thing first, I’m also relearning myself on how to swing a sword just like my kendo practices back in my home world. It had been a really long time now. I first started when I was 15 but that stopped abruptly after I moved schools. How time passed by so freely…

I stood still next to Roy as he followed my movement, I first began to swing in front of me - without failure on my side, the swift sounds of the air being cut are still the best, I guess. I then, looked to my right - toward Roy, who had been watching me.

“Roy-chan, swing!”

“Hiak!”

The boy swings from above, he opened his eyes to find the sword in his grip are no longer there. I found the sword just dropped behind him, talk about grip issues…?

I lifted his sword and helped him on how to properly grip the sword. I moved his right hand to hold the grip of the sword, not too close to the cross-guard of the sword and then I moved his left hand to grip the hilt of the blade, close to the pommel of the sword.

“Oh!~ I-I see, onii-san!”

I grinned at him, before I began to show him a close example on how I grip the sword and I took two steps away from the boy before I started to swing from the above once again. I couldn’t help but adored the inspired Roy.

“Hiaaak!!”

He looked really satisfied after that successful swing, the cut air sounds weren’t strong as I did before, but I shall let that go because he’s a cute boy.

He looked at me in the eyes, he’s brimming with excitement.

“Can we do the next one, onii-san?”

Veri giggled to herself inside of my mind before replying to the boy, “Give me two more straight swings, then I will let you do the other swings, Roy-chan!~”

I decided to watch him do the remaining two swings, he looked like he’s getting a good grip on his sword now, even though I’m still worried about his energetic-like behaviour would run out in the next one…

Next practice, swinging left and right. It sounded pretty much the same, but when I first practiced this one - it hurt my wrist real bad. I hoped that Roy doesn’t twist his wrist because that could be a permanent injury. Trust me, I had seen new practitioners stopped coming to practice after their wrist injuries.

As an advice, I sternly looked at him in the eyes and his hands. I then showed him how I moved the sword from the right to left, and left to right - starting the light swing from above, to show him my proper grip on the sword.

He corked his head to the side, clueless on my mute teachings, great. I asked Veri to repeat what I was talking about by showing a second example on the swing.

I really don’t want this boy’s dream to be shattered over a wrist injury.

“Onii-san advised that Roy-chan should switch hand placements for each swings. He didn’t want your healthy wrist to be injured over a swing.”

“I understand!” says the boy as he slowly switching his hands from right hand top to bottom while left hand bottom to top for the slow-swinging practice.

I looked at him, noticing that his grip are calming down - I sighed a relieved one. I had seen newcomers tightening their grip just for a quick swing, only to be in great, great pain. I patted his head as I stand back up to show him how a proper swinging to left and right example.

“Hm!”

I swung from my top right straight to my bottom left, without a stop - I began to swing from the top left straight down to my bottom right.

“Hah!”

Roy looked more determined to try his first swinging left and right now.

“Fuhh… haa…”

Roy hesitated for a moment, unsure of what to really do. I sneaked up behind him to hold his hands from behind. I whispered to him, “Take a deep breath.” He takes a deep breath, calming his heart down.

“Up…”

I guided him by helping him lifting the sword upward, slightly to the right.

“Down.”

I guided him by helping him lowering the sword downward, kinda straight down to the left.

I then moved his left hand to take over the top’s position, while moving his right hand to hold the bottom’s position of the hilt.

“Up…!”

Guiding him lifting the sword upward, slightly to the left. Roy seemed confident now as he’s no longer hesitating on lifting the sword with my hands on his.

“Down.”

He lowered the sword, straight to the bottom right.

I released my grip on his hands, as Veri take over the speaking for me, “Now, solo.”

Roy, gulped after hearing his voice. He calmed himself down by taking a deep breath, and beginning to swing left and right.

“Haah!”

A precise swing from the top right down to his left, he switched his hand positions a little too late and began to swing.

“Hiak!”

The sword stabbed itself on the ground to his right, Roy looked down as he looked rather unhappy about the results.

I clapped. He turned to look at me with his teary eyes, he mumbled loudly, “B-But… I f-failed…”

I shaked my head as I went over to his right, taking out the sword from the grass floor. He turned to find me pointing at him with the pommel of the wooden sword. I titled my head to the side, smiling at him. Veri accompanied me with her words;

“Wanna do it again?”

Roy looked at us, he grabbed the sword from my grip after stopping himself from crying.

“Hm!”

We continued to practice swinging left and right, then back to the swinging from above. The skies turned orange, signing the time of dusk. Roy looked at me with the wooden sword at his grip.

He began to ask me a question, “Will you come again tomorrow, onii-san?”

I nodded at him, adding a smile to that. “Sure.” Veri added to my answer, “Tomorrow, we’ll do a brief practice of what we learned today, and then, we move on to learning how to block and attack - is that good, Roy-chan?”

“Hm! See you tomorrow!”

We watched him running back into the orphanage, and we decided to return to our resting tree to end the first day of teaching this boy on how to fight.

Day 2 -

Morning comes and we headed back to the orphanage, we would like to meet the cute boy again - and well, teach him more on how to use a sword or fight in general.

“Onii-san! Onee-san! Over here!~”

We noticed the boy shouting at us, beckoning us to come closer to him.

“Here, onii-san!”, Roy gives us two pieces of bread. He added, after I took the bread from his giving hands. “Onee-chan told me that these should be enough for you to train me today!”

Onee-chan’? Oh, Shiori, right? Now that Roy mentioned about food, I had been neglecting on that recently. I wonder if I should go get some red berries in the forests as a quick snack?

I followed him to the area where we practiced kendo. After a brief of swinging above, left and right and warm-ups before moving on to the next task, attacking and defending.

“Hiahh!” the boy panting for breath, after finished with his swinging practice. I clapped for him, nearing him to see if he’s up for the next lesson. Veri, as usual, talks for me.

“Ready for your next lesson, Roy-chan?”

“Hm!”, Roy nodded. I gently patted him on the shoulder before I stand in front of him - after taking a step backward two times.

“Onii-san… gonna fight with me now?”

I shook my head, then closed my eyes - the silence occurred in the area.

I took a deep breath, then I moved forward by a step and! A swing to straight to Roy’s head, stopping before actually hitting him, the wooden sword I’m gripping weren’t even close to hit him.

I looked to see if the boy’s expression. Of course, he was shocked to see my sudden swing.

“That’s the head swing, still your mind - steps forward as you begin to swing at your opponent.” Veri said in a gentle voice.

“I-I see!”

I took a step back, where I originally was. I watched Roy as he properly grip on the wooden sword like last time, he looked a little hesitant about swinging his sword toward me. I smiled to reassure him. “Head!” Veri shouted, causing the boy to take a step forward and swing the sword at me.

There was no sign of him stopping the blade from hitting me, I decided to block his swing with my hands. He looked at me after that, and it looked like he wanted to apologize. I only smiled, even smiling with my eyes.

“Are you okay?” Veri asked of the tanned boy.

“I’m fine!”

I gave him his wooden sword back, before I started to suspect something about his footings. I had Veri to ask Roy about that, I wanted to see him taking a step forward and slashing ahead of him one more time.

Roy nodded at my request as he looked in front of him, he felt calmer now since I’m no longer in front of him. I continued to scrutinize his movement as he takes a step forward to hit the air from above. His footings are just like a girl. I knew it. With Veri’s voice, as usual;

“Stop, Roy-chan!”

The boy turned to look at us, taking another breath before he speaks, “Y-Yes? Did I miss something?”

I go closer to touch his right ankle and foot, I stood back up after hearing his embarrassed tone. Both Veri and I was surprised too, by that fact.

“You’re a girl?” At first I wanted Veri to ask about ‘his’ footings being one as of a female practitioner, but since after hearing that light squeal from Roy… I decided to be more clear about it.

Roy averted ‘his’ eyes from looking at us, ‘he’ muttered something that I can’t hear clearly.

“That’s… because…”

“Hm?” I tilted my head to the left, unsure of what ‘he’ had just said.

“...because… I am a girl…” still, I was unable to hear the young ‘man’’s voice. Until Veri answered that for me. I clearly forgot that Veri could hear everything clearly as long as she put full focus about it. I can clearly hear her heavy sigh.

“No wonder… your footing are just like a girl, Roy-chan.”

I must admit, after hearing that from Veri. Shivers hit my spine, I was both surprised and confused after acknowledging Roy’s real gender. I shook my head, and crouched down to look at the girl’s face.

I heard Veri sighing once more, this time, inside of my head. She began asking the tomboy of why did she hide about her gender.

Roy sobbed as she began to answer, “B-B-Because… I want to-become strong… I want to-become a guard, I want to-protect my hometown from the monsters”

“Shh…” I shushed, making the girl turning to look at me, with my index finger pressing my lips. I began to smile while having my other hand to touch her gripping hands on the sword she’s holding through the whole time.

“U-Uhn…”

“Don’t worry, these kind of sword-training are just the same on both sides. You can rough as a man, or cautious like a girl.” I spoke, toward her. A pink blush crept on her cheeks as she goes, “O-Onii-chan…”

I patted her shoulders before standing up from crouching down.

I stretched my back after I stabbed my wooden sword on the grass floor. Well not that hard on the stabbing part. I put a thumbs up at her as I go, “Let’s try again. Take it easy this time, okay?”

Roy nodded with a loud, “Hm!”

Veri smiled at me, I know she did. I can feel her smile creeping inside of my head, I asked her inside of my head, about her reason of smiling. She only giggled back as an answer. I turned to look at the tomboy, now in front of me, readying herself to swing her sword again.

Sure, Roy still made some newcomer mistakes now and then during her trainings. Every kendo practitioner had to start from somewhere, right? Seeing her practice really made me happy, she might be the most encouraged practitioner I had ever met since I first started kendo.

We continued to practice swinging at the head, body and wrist. I even added the defending with sword in the mix, she managed to grasp a few blocks and attacks. Just like how new practitioner would usually do in their first attempts of blocking and attacking.

Roy reminded me of my older sister, who I adored the most, despite me being the younger one here. But I digress.

The day had gone dark, I was invited to have dinner with the other orphans, it was kinda uncomfortable as it were crowded and filled with chit-chatters from the kids. I admired Shiori of her loving and motherly-like attitude towards the children. I forced a smile, because I didn’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings and to be more polite at the table.

“What’s wrong, onii-chan?”

I looked at Roy, I let out a light sigh, before patting her by the head.

I thought to myself that Roy will grow up to be a strong girl. If she didn’t, I will make her be one. I stayed for the night outside though, I decided to spend my night writing down the report about Roy’s progress, she should be good enough to continue training to achieve her dream to become a guard…

By the next morning, I bid farewells with the little owner before leaving the orphanage. I heard a yell, calling my name. I turned to find Roy rushing toward me for a hug. I couldn’t resist myself to pat her by the head yet again.

“Will you come visit again?”

“I will, if fate allows it.”

With the voices of Veri teasing me from the inside of my head, I headed back to the Guild facility to deliver my report, I gripped tightly to my wooden sword at my left hip as I walked off the distant.

He hummed to himself a gentle tone, he looked really satisfied with the quest.

@Lenaia

((I might had butchered some of the ancient arts of Kendo, I do actually learned some of it - but I forgot most of the detail of me actually practicing one. I hope this turned out well.))

Lenaia likes this.
  4. Lenaia

Lenaia Queen of Smiles

Reading List:
    Link
    "I suppose you did as asked. Though it would be great if you leave him - her? - with some basic exercise routine, it's quite important to build the right muscles." The construct stamped completion on the quest report. "Job's done, your reward is seven large coppers and four guild points. One last thing - inappropriate relationship with an underaged child is greatly frowned upon, so do be careful with your advances yes? Wait a few years at least. Have a nice day!"

Xalysian likes this.
  5. Xalysian

Reading List:
    Link
    Sighing, he muttered with a quiet tone. "I'm not in the mood for that sort of thing..."

Grabbing his rewards, he left the receptionist's desk - to the quest board for more jobs.

((Valuren is too quiet for that sort of thing. But thanks for the reminder!~))

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Lenaia likes this.
  6. Aion Satria

Aion Satria Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Thank you. You can expect no such thing." She said coldly, but then her delight surfaced. "I probably need to celebrate..."

{{ 666 Acquired. Hehehe. : ) }}

Lenaia likes this.
  7. wraith

wraith -----------------

Reading List:
    Link
    Nero returned to the guild while dragging an unconscious masked man with him.
    @AliceShiki
    Nero was currently an hour south of Nagrand, wandering around in a forest with a map in hand. His familiar, Parcae, had split up from him in order to search for the elusive Red Star marked on the map. After a long couple of hours wandering around in the woods, Parcae started sending him some telepathic messages.

"It's an illusion magic. Two guys have appeared out of thin air. They are moving towards you. One of them has got a couple of large daggers while the other carries a scythe."

"Got it", Nero acknowledged Parcae's message and prepared himself for combat. It wasn't long before a cloaked figure carrying a scythe appeared before him. The figure pulled back his hood to reveal a plain white mask ad dark brown eyes.

"Are you lost wanderer?", the mysterious figure spoke with an eerie voice.

"Not really", Nero replied with a smile, "I'm a friend of Connor. He has asked me to pass on a message. Also, your hidden friend is making me nervous."

"I see. And what is this message?", The masked figure made no attempt to acknowledge that his partner had been discovered.

"He is on the run and the adventurers from the guild are after him."

"Aren't you an adventurer yourself?"

"I can't deny that."

"Well that's unfortunate. You might be a friend of Connor, but our God demands your blood", the masked figure replied before sprinting forward to attack. Just as they were about to clash, a figure holding daggers appeared behind Nero and crouched on the ground. Parcae, who was continuously monitoring this person, had decided to attack the hidden assassin's mind just as he was making his move, causing him to lose his focus and cancel his stealth.

Nero blocked the scythe strike with his shield as he took a few steps backwards to reach the crouching assassin. The masked attacker didn't seem skilled enough to break through Nero's solid defense and could do nothing but watch on as his defenseless companion got decapitated by one of Nero's spears. Seeing that the battle had gone completely away from him, the masked man seemed to have made up his mind to attack recklessly and fight to the death. But unfortunately for him, the difference in skill and physical ability between them was pretty big and he was quickly knocked out by a strike to the head from a spear shaft.

After the short fight, Parcae and Nero met up to decide their future actions. They came to a conclusion that Neither of them had any way to bypass the illusion magic that led to their hideout. And even if they did, they had no idea of what lay inside. So in the end, they tied up the masked man and carried him back to the city.
    Confirmed that the cultists are targeting the adventurers upon orders from their God.
    Found the harvester cultist hideout which is one hour south of Nagrand.
    The hideout is hidden with the help of illusion magic.
    Brought a cultist to interrogate.

FallonCreziato likes this.
  8. Xalysian

Reading List:
    Link

Valuren returned to the receptionist’s desk. He placed his report in front of the hooded construct. He tried to gaze into the construct’s face but stopped himself as he turned away to brush his quick-to-red ears.

After getting the approval for his next quest job, Valuren left the Guild facility to find someone to ask for directions to go to New Spice Village. There he meets up with a working guard who was reading a book to pass the time during his duty.

The guard noticed him and stand up immediately to greet with him, whilst hiding the book from his gaze.

“Going out of town, adventurer?”

Valuren nodded, but had a serious look this time around. No time to waste.

“Do you need something…! You need a help?”

Somehow, the guard could understand his intention in the first place. The guard smiled as he lend an ear for him, Valuren pointed at the quest paper after taking it out to show the guard about it. He had his index finger straight to the word containing ‘New Spice Village’.

“I see! New Spice Village, right?”

Valuren nodded as the guard continued to give him information on how to get to the village. After getting the directions, Valuren thanked the guard for the help by bowing down politely.

“It’s fine, it’s fine! It’s a guard’s duty to help others in need!”

The guard smirked, proud of his job.

Valuren dropped down from the tree, he stretched his body after a good night rest of travelling to New Spice Village. He had breakfast of some edible blue berries nearby before storing a pouchful amount of edible blue berries into his small pouch he brought along during the journey.

He lassoed his backpack from the top of the tree before beginning his second trip straight to the village.

Valuren caught his eye on a familiar situation. He had found the same dark green goblin walking their two adult dark wolves and a baby wolf. He decided to hurry along, as he had no time to waste, at least - in his mind.

He continued grappling away, making full use of his dark chained whip as he performed some quick and efficient poses mid-air, being stylish with his way as usual.

After a few hours of travelling, he had arrived to the village. He wanted to check around the place before continuing on with his mission, but he shrugged himself as he told himself to hurry up.

Instead of grappling straight to the bear’s den, he decided to walk with caution. He looked around to find some quick roads of reaching to the den easier, but to no avail.

He continued walking until a half of an hour passed by. He decided to wake his inner soul from her rest. They had arrived to the bear’s den.

“Veri, wake up.”

“Hngh…!~ That was fast...”

Valuren asked of her if she’s mentally ready to meet the talking bear, she replied with a yes. “Yeah, let’s begin.”

Valuren took out his wooden sword, finding some spots for him to make knocking sound. He sighed to himself as he took a deep breath, the tight grip of the sword loosened as he began to hum to the dark cave.

The humming instantly stopped as he heard the groaning sounds of a bear stumbling itself to get outside of the cave. The bear took a good whiff in the air before looking at the man in front of it, however, the bear only saw the sword in Valuren’s hands.

The bear had its guard up, glaring into the person in front of it. Valuren noticed the sword in his grip and tossed it away to the side. He had a kind grin as he puts both of his hands above of his shoulders, as an act of surrender.

The bear continued to glare at him, but it froze up after noticing a dark presence seeping out of Valuren’s body. The bear gruffly asked him;

“What can I help, human?”

Valuren sat down on the ground from where he stands. He relaxed himself as he continue to smile, reassuring the huge bear. He thought of himself about the bear’s rough but fluffy appearance, and decided to calm himself down after screaming internally at the size of a bear.

Veri sighed at his shock as she answered the bear’s question.

“We’re an envoy of an alchemist, we come in peace.”

The standing bear looked around to find the woman’s voice, Veri added, to help the bear on finding her.

“I’m inside of this man’s body, Mister Bear.”

“I see, so the evolution of the humans had reached to this point?”

Hearing that from the bear, Valuren shakes his head lightly before Veri continue to talk; “Not really, Mister Bear!”

The bear released a tired and heavy sigh before dropping his guard and sitting down on the ground. The bear scratched its’ ‘temple’ before looking at them.

“What are you here for, kind human?”

“Call us V, Mister Bear.”

She added, “We’re here to discuss with you for a bit, if you’re willing to hear us?”

The bear placed both of its’ paws on both of its’ legs.

“I am listening, V.”

With the voice of Veri’s, Valuren asked the bear a couple of questions to the talking bear. The first question;

“An alchemist called Lyra wanted to interview with you. Is it okay for her to visit you, Mister Bear?”

“Interview?” the bear’s eyes looked like it was shining, but it returned back to the usual look right away. It roughly cleared its’ throat to answer to Veri’s question.

“Sure! I do love some company to begin with, kind one.”

“Next question… the alchemist mentioned that she doesn’t taste good.”

The bear laughed like an old, true gentleman.

“Do not worry about it, tell her that. I am a well-behaved kin.”

Valuren nodded after hearing that answer, Veri continued to ask the next question;

“Is it okay if the alchemist come visiting you mounted on a Wyvern?”

The bear pondered to itself, scratching its’ fuzzy ‘chin’. “It is fine, I guess…” He looked back to the Valuren to answer, “If the Wyvern wished to have a chat with this old me, I am fine with that, kind one.”

Veri asked Valuren inside of his head, whether there were more questions that needed to be answered by the kind talking bear. He thought to himself the same as he began searching his jacket for the quest paper.

He read the paper once again, to see if he had missed a question or two.

“Is there more questions, kind one?”

He turned to gaze into the huge bear’s eyes and shakes his head lightly. He added a kind smile before beginning to speak.

“That’s it, thank you - Big Bear.”

Valuren stands up from sitting, patting the dusts from himself. He stored the paper back inside of his jacket and turned to look at the bear. They bid farewells, but the bear did not say anything in return.

He grabbed the wooden sword he had tossed earlier and placed it back to his pouch belt. As he’s about to leave the bear’s den, the talking bear goes “You’re not here to take my soul?”

Valuren turned to look at the bear, he tilted his head to the right - clueless of what it had just said.

“You say something, Big Bear?” he asked the bear.

“Nothing! Have a safe journey, kind one!”

The bear waved slowly with its’ paws, Valuren waved back with one hand while the other were gripping on his mid-summoning chained whip, before grappling his way back to home.

“I’m getting sleepy…” he mumbled to himself.

@Lenaia

A5G_Reaper likes this.
  9. Heckaton

Heckaton Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    An oni with a faint smell of blood entered the guild and approached the desk while bringing two large cages filled with crows on a cart.
    "Hello, I'd like to turn in my report. Also, do you know anyone that might be interested in taking these crows off my hand?"
    After reading some books about crows at the library, Grendel immediately left to work on his quest. Those books are very informative, and as much as he would like to finish them all, he needs to start working on actually repelling those crows.

To repel the crows, Grendel managed to form a few plans that he thought are likely to succeed. First, Grendel decided he will deal with the crows that have gotten used to scavenge the town for food by using a trap design he found earlier inside a hunting book. It was simple enough to make, and the materials aren't too pricey since it’s only made out of wood, wires, and a few nails, which he managed to get a decent amount of for 20 large coppers.

After spending two days, Grendel managed to make fifteen of them, which he then set up on some gardens and streets where the crows are frequently seen (with the mayor’s and the garden owners’ permission, of course).

The traps proved to be highly effective, as two days later Grendel managed to fill two large cages with fourteen crows. Next, Grendel released a crow and followed it into the forest as it returned to its nest while bringing along another one in a cage. It was highly alert and managed to shake him off a few times along the way, but Grendel managed to track it to a riverbank west of Nagrand, finding it along with tens of nests up the trees.

Hoping to finish the job the quickly, Grendel then took out the crow he brought and stabbed it with a knife, letting it call out as it is dying. The callout proved to be rather effective, as in a short time a large murder of crows arrived at the riverside. In fact, it was so effective that they all immediately attacked him the moment the crow in his hand stopped cawing.

One fight later…
    “*pant**pant* Damn, never thought they’d be such a troublesome bunch. Well, at least I got them all in one go”

After a heated fight with the crows and a short breather, Grendel started cleaning up the crows’ body while thinking back on the fight. In the beginning, the crows are far from dangerous, even as he’s not using his lightning to avoid starting a fire. But when he managed to kill around half of them, the remaining ones started to evade his poleaxe, and by the time he nearly got all of them, they can completely evade his swings. In the end, Grendel was forced to hit the remaining ones with his lightning when they closed in while paying extra attention to not let the lightning hit any flammable object around him, causing him more fatigue.

After he finished cleaning up the bodies and burned them, Grendel started climbing to destroy the nests he saw earlier up in the trees. It was more tiring than he expected, as it turns out that the nests’ location is not so easily approachable as it looked from below. Adding his exhaustion from the fight, it took him the whole afternoon to destroy all the nests he could find.

In the end, Grendel only managed to arrive back at Nagrand well late into the night, so he decided he would just go back to his camp and report back to the guild tomorrow morning.
    • Created and set up 15 traps on some gardens and streets across the town
    • Destroyed the crows' nests on a riverbank west of Nagrand
    • Managed to capture 12 crows and killed 22, looking for someone who's interested in having the captured crows

@Lenaia
    ((Please tell me if the material's price is too low, I'll adjust it))

10. Lenaia

Lenaia Queen of Smiles

Reading List:
    Link
    "A job well done!" The construct flipped through V's report, fast as usual. Did it winked? How did some construct without eyelid winked? Question for next time. "I'm sure Lyra can visit without fear for her interview! Your reward, eight large copper coins and four guild points!"

It stacked eight coins on the table.

Xalysian likes this.
  11. Lenaia

Lenaia Queen of Smiles

Reading List:
    Link
    The construct blinked. Twice. Somehow.

"Well it's certainly an unusual report. You took a loss to finish the job, yes? That's not exactly a sustainable work ethic, do manage your finance more carefully." It stamped completion on the report. "Twelve large coppers and four guild points for your reward."

"You're in a bit of luck, I could make use of those. I'll give you one large copper each? Dead or alive, so long as they're not smashed too badly. I'll let Arnold follow you to help."

By Arnold, she meant the other construct.

12. Heckaton

Reading List:
    Link
    "Thank you, I'll keep that in mind"
    After receiving the rewards, Grendel then handed over the cages to Arnold, "Here's the crows, there should be twelve of them. As for the ones I killed, well, I already burned the corpses to avoid having them coming back as undeads. Sorry about that."

((@Lenaia ))

13. Lenaia

Lenaia Queen of Smiles

Reading List:
    Link
    "Ah, a bit unfortunate but I can work with that. Here's your payment!" It stacked a few more coins.

Its eyes switched back into pale green, Catherine's presence popped onto the other construct instead. Mana surged and it seemed to sag slightly as a wave of pale grey flame burst inside the cage. It didn't radiate any heat and felt like chilling cold instead, even though it was gone within a second.

The crows were... different. Occasionally one flickered ethereal, revealing pale bleached skeleton within. Their eyes lit up in grey similar to the flames earlier, and flew out in good order after Arnold opened the cage.

That done, the construct returned behind the counter and sagged on a chair. Catherine returned to the first, marked by the eyes flickering sapphire-blue.

"Yes, they'll make good eyes. Is there anything else I can help with?"

14. Heckaton

Reading List:
    Link
    Watching the receptionist's strange actions, Grendel stood there amazed for some time before coming back to his senses and took the coins from Catherine, thanking her before leaving the guild

"That'll be all, and thank you very much"

15. Blackwater

Blackwater Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    @Lenaia
    Finding a quest in which I can simply kill some bad guys, I breathe a sigh of relief. I'm not good at thinking about stuff or doing complicated things, so there are times in which I simply don't understand what I am supposed to do in certain quests.

Thus, quests like this one are those I like the most! I just have to go somewhere, beat up a few baddies, get back and take my reward. So that's what I will do!

Now, with me being a smart girl, this time I thought about hitchhiking on the carriage of a friendly merchant on the way to Asphodelus. And I managed to find one, which, in regards to the upcoming festival, isn't too surprising I guess.

Due to some reason, after witnessing me rushing out to catch an edible lizard, the merchant insisted on giving me food in exchange for me giving them protection until we arrive in Asphodelus. Well, food is food, so who would I be to say no?

From that point on, the journey to Asphodelus is blissfully calm and filled with food. Then, as I hop off the merchant's cart, and stand before the city's gate, all I can see is people wandering the streets. How am I supposed to find out who a bandit is!?

Well, that receptionist (looking back, she seems quite weird) told me to catch them red-handed. So I guess I'll just look really hard, and when I find a bandit, I'll kill them. Nice and easy. So I enter the crowd, my eyes narrowed as I start to scan those around me.

Turns out walking around while looking like that causes guards to suspect and take you in for questioning. Who would have known? When they finally let me go, along with the warning to not look as threatening in the future, it's already evening. As I did get quite some sleep whilst they were scolding me (they just couldn't compare fo Cinis), it seems like a good idea to me to spend the night outside, looking for bandits.

Strolling through the dark and rather empty city, I manage to once again have no idea where I am after only a few minutes. I suppose I should call that a talent? As the alleys slowly get filthier until they reach the point of my old sleeping place, a group of 2 men appears within my vision, walking towards me.

Well, I don't know for sure, but it seems like they are. I wait for a bit, observing them as they get closer and closer. As they get closer and closer, I can see their grinning faces as they grasp something hidden within their clothes. Probably a weapon of sorts. I guess they might be bandits? According to my quest I should kill them, so I suppose they've already been judged guilty.

While I am wondering about whether I should execute them or not, one of the two grabs my right wrist with one hand, pulling out a knife with his other. "What's someone like you doing out here this la-"

Before he can finish, I drive my knee into every man's known weak spot, and with a cry of pain, he crumbles down before me. With one swift movement, I lift my arms, manifest my blade, and chop his head off. "May your god grant you eternal life."

Some of the blood splatters onto my face and clothes, but that can't be helped. Being an executioner is a bloody job. I turn towards the other bandit, which immediately starts to run away. I'd shoot him from behind as an archer, but I am not one - not yet, though I am almost there.

So I chase after the bandit and throw my blade after him with practiced ease. It arcs through the air, and hits his back with a thud, causing the bandit to fall over. Before he can stand up again, I rush over to him, kicking his head as I arrive. So while he now moans in pain, I pick up my blade, lift the bandit up into a kneeling position, and chop his head off. "May your god grant you eternal life."

After wiping my bloody hands on the bandit's clothes, I make my way to where I think the town guard's headquarter is at. Needless to say, I get lost again. Or did I ever stop being lost? Anyway, after I walk around for a bit (everyone sadly avoided me due to the obvious bloodstains - and perhaps the heads I'm carrying), I finally manage to find the right place.

After being detained due to the blood on my clothes possibly scaring the civilians, paying a fine of 2 large copper and cleaning my clothes by myself, being shouted at a bit for bringing the heads into the headquarter, falling asleep during it, and finally being released after someone cleaned up the bandit's corpses, I make my way back to the guild.

Lenaia likes this.
  16. Lenaia

Lenaia Queen of Smiles

Reading List:
    Link
    Pffft-

"Sorry, it's just too funny! You got fined your whole reward! Well, I suppose that's an experience for you. Here, 2 large coppers and 4 guild points. Do be careful in the future, yes?"

Blackwater likes this.
  17. Lenaia

Lenaia Queen of Smiles

Reading List:
    Link
    "Ah, Aria's sick from overwork so let me take that from you."

The construct briskly steps toward Aria's desk and took over the report, flipping it once. It would've raise an eyebrow if it have some.

"Short and concise I see. And bleh, more cultists? As if we don't have enough of those." It sounds annoyed. "Nevertheless, you've completed the quest as asked so here's your payment. Twenty coppers and eight guild points. We'll mark the hideout on the map, let's see if someone can clean the pest before it start something dumb."

The construct walks out and take the masked man, then drags him into a back room. There would be muffled screams coming from it for a few hours, but it's none of Nero's business yes?

AliceShiki and wraith like this.
  18. Zek

Zek I write sins, not tragedies.

Reading List:
    Link
    @Lenaia

After a few days without a word, Therese safely returned to the tavern with a report prepared in hand.

"I have fulfilled this quest," he candidly passed on a file of paper to the Receptionist.

There was two days before the designated date before departure. The vacant time had been better spent in procuring equipments and a few luxuries to accompany himself in this mundane quest, as well as the maintenance of his generic broadsword at the neighboring blacksmith.

Therese swung the sword a few times upon receiving it, sensing any possible misconfiguration applied to the weapon. Slicing the air with precise movements, showing elegance in form, he finally nodded and unsheathed the sword with a tinge of satisfaction.

Seemingly uncontended with the pedantic preparation, he moved at once to the nearest grocery store to stockpile some rations for the journey. At this moment, there was still a few hours left before he would set out.

Finally, packed to the brim, Therese proceeded to the specified location. It was the central plaza, although it was early at morning, so scarce were the people to be spotted. This made it easier for him to recognize the client despite the fact of never having the chance to meet them beforehand.

A lean man stood next to a wagon, tending to the saddled horse. His face was generic that nothing else could best describe him anything but simple, so too was his attire, it was plain ordinary that would fit in on any occasion.

“Oh! A man with a silver hair... you must be Therese?”

It seemed that his presence was finally realized, he gestured back to convey affirmation while remaining silent. Fortunately his demeanor have not given a bad impression, or it could be perhaps that the man had tactfully paid no attention. After all, Adventurer’s Guild contained variety of individuals with different calling and a story behind them, both small and grand, such a place was bound to attract one or two with a unique quirk.

“You might already know. I’m Nomuna, a merchant from the Nyllia Kingdom,” the man - Nomuna, introduced himself, scratching the back of his head while wearing a silly expression.

After a while noticing the lack of response coming from Therese, the man could only let a wry smile. As Nomuna was about to turn around, he unexpectedly blurted out a few lines about himself.

“I am Therese.“

“L-let’s both do our best in this journey... nice meeting you,” Nomuna replied half-dumbfoundedly.

Therese offered a brief handshake as he said, “Likewise.”

And then, an excruciatingly long awkward silence awaited both…

The journey towards the Queendom of Nyllia itself doesn’t take long from the location of Adventurer’s Guild Headquarters, but the exact location this time was the Capital City of Peona, where the client merchant had taken residence and founded his business.

Depending on the route which they will take, they may have to trek over a mountain and pass over a body of water, while the other was to revolve around the Great Maelstrom and then straight to the capital.

Both option involved passing by the Dungeon of Simentra, but since neither of them had things to sort out there, it was largely ignored. However, since the two agreed that the latter was a longer detour, opting to avoid the unnecessary hassle, they chose to follow the first route.

From this point on, the journey was incredibly smooth. Leaving out the breaks and pauses, nothing of particular had happened.

At night, they decided to set up a camp near the roadside. Therese naturally helped in setting up the tent and conveniently prepared a campfire with an elementary magic.

Nomuna sat down looking at the fire with a solemn expression. Seconds long, he finally broke the silence which had spanned until now.

“My grandfather, he, he was a good man...”

Therese could hear a muffled sniffling from where he stood.

“You know, I really regret that I wasn’t by his side when he passed on.”

And then, the welling tears which was threatening to fall poured down.

“He was stubborn, selfish, and a little bit self-centered, but I still love him from the bottom of my heart.”

Nomuna continued in narrating his story, scrunching his face like a child who was being lectured by an adult. But it seemed the atmosphere wasn’t getting through to Therese, still being placid from start to finish.

Nomuna looked at him after wiping the snot and tears which had stained his face, donning a serious look.

“I think, that’s why I can realize you now.”

After spilling those words, the calm expression of Therese shattered like a glass, betraying a pained expression.

“Don’t look down on us merchants, we are experts in identifying the needs of our customers!” Nomuna boasted, beating his chest as he stood up. He was smiling like a proud kid who had accomplished something big.

“Your eyes tells that you also lost something irreplaceable like me.”

As always, Therese was silent.

“It’s best if you relieve that pain and share it to someone,”Nomuna continued, “Oh-uh! But you can definitely trust me, I’m not the type to sell stories!”

Therese was wide-eyed, perhaps the first someone had surprise him so. He looked up at the starry night, dotted by innumerable stars dwarfed by the full moon, as if asking from someone up there for an answer.

Sadly, no one did. But --

“It’s also okay if you don’t, everything has a time and place.”

There was someone right there, right here, and right now. He probably could not relieve him of all the guilt he had shouldered, but at the very least, he was willing to hear what he had to say.

“It’s about my sister,” Therese finally spilled.

“Wha-what about her?” interested, Nomuna perked his ears for what’s to come.

As he was about to reply, Therese was briefly cut short by the sound of footsteps, dashing its way towards their camp. He had already readied his weapon before Nomuna managed to notice the discrepancy in the situation.

“Stand back,” Therese took the front with a sword and stave held in both hands.

Slowly, the creature loomed from the dark, revealing its identity.

A shade of green stained by mud, covered by little bit of cloth.

It was tiny, about the size of an 9 year old. It was a humanoid creature, but the face screamed that it was far from the looks of humanity.

It had pointy but bloated nose, also a pair of yellow eyes which glowed in the dark.

A creature common in everywhere you go, a Goblin.

“Oh, it’s just a goblin. For a second there I thought it was something like a Dire Wolf,” Nomuna exhaled in relief.

Therese, stern as always, broke that composure in a matter of seconds.

“Be careful, although goblins are weak individually, they are a scheming bunch.”

As he explained, he readied his stance, preparing to launch himself forward to the enemy.

“A lone goblin will one day found itself its own colony and prey upon an unfortunate village,” Therese continued, “It might be you, me, or worse, your family.”

Then--

“Before that happens, I must cut that possibility.”

Therese hurled himself to the goblin, intent on ending its life with just a single powerful stroke.

“Nwod, Uoy!”

The goblin let out a joyful shriek as if it had schemed something beforehand.

And, as if to verify that conjecture, it drew a stone from its hand.

“Tel annog!”

The stone from its hand exploded, emitting a blinding white light. As Therese faltered from the unexpected, the Goblin made use of that opportunity and launched an attack of its own.

A dagger coated with an unknown poison was making its way to his chest - fast. Once it hit, the adventurer before the goblin would fall like the rest had gone down, limp and largely defenseless.

--Or so it thought.

The dagger was skillfully blocked by the stave in Therese’s left-hand, and as he did, chanted a quick spell to open a chance for retaliation.

“O’ spirit of the flames: Burn!”

A small torrent of fire swallowed the goblin, charring its skin and depriving it of moisture.

"Dellor, Kcir!"

“This is the end,” Therese announced as he made a quick follow-up, performing an upward slash.

The goblin fell to the ground in half.

After that, Therese hacked his sword powerfully, wiping off the blood which had clung on the weapon.

“Cool!” Nomuna muttered on the background.

Afterwards, the night continued. With the instance of a Goblin wandering in, Therese tightened the security and refused the invitation of Nomuna to sleep whilst he take over, insisting that it was his job after all.

At his stern decline, he couldn’t do any thing but scratch his cheek. But stubborn as he was, he also remained awake and kept Therese in company, narrating stories which no one asked for until the dawn broke…

And thus, continuing on with the banter from everyday, they arrived at the capital.

“I guess this is it, huh,” Nomuna said disappointingly.

“If you want, you can help out in the shop, I need a few hands to sort things out,” he offered.

“No,” Therese frankly refused. “There are other things I need to tend to.”

“I see, then no point in keeping you here. If you need help, you can always contact me here!”

Therese only nodded, about to turn around when a thought passed by his mind.

“In that case, do you know someone by the name of Michellin?”

19. Lenaia

Lenaia Queen of Smiles

Reading List:
    Link
    "Plain and simple. I like it." The construct put down the report, stamping completion on it. "You're rather lucky there's only one of the little bugger, their kind really love to gang up. Anyway! Your reward, eleven large coppers and four guild points. Dont spend it all in one go now!"

Zek likes this.
  20. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    Arriving at the city of Asphodelus, Kathicia enters with her wound no longer leaking blood. Kathicia is wearing her nice Cheongsam whilst in the town. She proceeds towards the seedy side of town seemingly without weaponry. The crowds are quite large. Merchants and all sorts appear and disappear from her sight. Ahead of her a young man puts his hand into the pockets of a merchant and withdraws the wallet of the merchant. After having noticed this Kathicia proceeds on from the site following this young man.

The man leaves the town very soon heading out into the nearby surroundings. Kathicia continues trailing the young man. After about 20 minutes of travel in the countryside the man enters into a small square building. Listening from the outside the man seems to have opened a trap door after he entered into the building meaning that it must be quite a large group of bandits or something that has been repurposed to a bandit hideout.

After a time a man comes out of the building and has tattoos that many of Kathicia’s relatives had, which denote loyalty to Lord Avrav. Kathicia tails this new individual.

After the two are out of sight from the building Kathicia proceeds to throw one of her daggers into the back of his knees.

“Hmm so who do we have here?” Kathicia smiles whilst looking at the bandit whom had been incapacitated. “A worshipper of Avrav I see from the tatoos. I wonder how you can be a bandit and worship my lord though.” Kathicia has a massive smile on her face and slowly walks towards the man.

After having tortured the man for everything he knew and dealing with the few bandits who stumbled across her location Kathicia had killed off 10 bandits in total and so she decided to leave the place. But before that she drained all the blood from the corpses and placed it in to her sword. Then moved onto beheading and hanging the headless corpses finally she left behind a message for the other heretics to reform from their heretical ways or the hound of Avrav would come after them next and it would not be so merciful as it had been here.

During the cleaning up of the bandits Kathicia had suffered several wounds from the bandits weapons. “I feel like I’m going to need to do some training after this encounter these heretics should not be so hard to kill!”

Kathicia turned in the heads off the bandits to the head guard of Asphodelus and collected her bounty of 10 large coppers.
    Kathicia cut the “hands” off of 10 bandits who were part of a ring of bandits.
    Bandits had some sort of relationship with Avrav from the appearance of some of the bandits.
    Kathicia got her bounty from the head guard
    There is likely more bandits in the base then what Kathicia killed
    Kathicia got quite a few wounds and scratches from her fights with the bandits. All healed by the time she returns though.
    @Quaesitor I finished my quest and since Aria left a note saying she is disappearing for a week you can deal with it XD.