People being an asshole

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Demonic Poring, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Demonic Poring

Demonic Poring 『Well-Known Poring』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello everyone, and don't mind me. I just want to share this shit with someone

So, I have a family restaurant at Jakarta that you can say a bit bigger than average. 5 chefs (only 3 work daily, and the other 2 only 3 days a week), 10 waitresses and waiters.

So, what I want to share is how shitty people can be.

At my restaurant, you only need to tell the waiters your order and pay when you are ready to go. Because who wants to pay early in a family restaurant? The problem is because the cashier is a bit distance from the door, some people don't pay for their foods and just left. After like 15-20 times, I got a bit pissed and moved the cash register to the door (right after you get into the restaurant).

After that, a new problem occurs. Because the cash register is a bit too close to the door, at the busy hours, the cashier sometimes mistaken someone who haven't paid the bill with someone who just entered the restaurant. This happened for a month, and to be honest the damages to the restaurant is bigger than the first problem. Because of that, I moved the cash register back to the original place and hire more people (security) so that the problem can be minimize

Now the third problem occurs. Some people act like a god damn shit. They ordered some foods and said that they are waiting for their friends or family, when the foods they ordered came, they get out and said that they are going to get their friends or family at the front. Some came back, and some being piece of shit

Godamnit. Some people being an asshole and keep doing bad things. Should I make the customers pay first or stick with the original?

Now I feel a bit better. See you

2. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Pay first, seriously.

Fallion and Demonic Poring like this.
  3. Cascadian Rex

Cascadian Rex Villain with a thousand faces | Lychee's rival

Reading List:
    Link
    You can.
    or
    if you can justify the lost of profit with hiring and extra one staff. then have a waiter or waitress mind the floor, moving between serving what people need by the door and gently remind people they have not paid yet.

Might not be a full time hire, but and extra staff during the busy hour.

Demonic Poring likes this.
  4. 4myzelf

4myzelf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You're better off asking experts or other restaurants, I work with agriculture, my advice to you would be as useful as a plumber's when it comes to restaurant dine and dashes

Mnotia, mir, Enigma and 2 others like this.
  5. jersanxx1

jersanxx1 『Lost Toy』『Mostly Lurking』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm, just my two cents, why not move the cashier a bit farther(but nor far enough that it'll go back to the former situation) from the door or in a different side from the door? That way you won't confuse customers from dine-dashers.

If someone wants to call their family, at least someone on their group is left standby inside. Also, tell them to call their fucking relatives/family if they're a solo diner.

*insert overused meme*
    DO THEY NOT HAVE PHONES?!

6. PenguinXeus

PenguinXeus Just A Penguin, Kigurumi Wakuseijin

Reading List:
    Link
    Install CCTV record those who didn't pay money then either report to police for dine-and-dash, or print out their picture paste them in front of your restaurant with big title 'Those Who Didnt Pay Money'

7. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    I like the idea of photos of those who didn’t pay outside your restaurant.
    Paying first is not a problem, where I live some waitresses will ask me to pay just as they set the cup of coffee down on the table in front of me.

The issue with paying first comes up only when that same waitress does not ask the table next to mine to pay as she sets their coffees down. That I don’t particularly like as I feel a bit offended especially when I go to drink coffee there (for example) every Monday and that waitress has definitely seen me more than once and got tips as well...

8. King0Mik

King0Mik 【An Actual Idiot】

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say that the easiest solution would be to just have the customers pay before they receive their food.
    There may be a small problem where some customers want to order more food after their initial order (though this could easily be solved by giving them another bill).

Are people required to go to the cash register to pay?
    In America, restaurants where you pay after eating generally give you the bill at the table (usually on a small tray or a small, leather folder thing). You put down your credit card or cash, and the waitperson will pick it up and process it at the cash register. They give you a receipt (and your credit card if you used it to pay) afterwards.
    Of course, there's also restaurants where you do need to go to the cash register to pay.
    I don't think I've ever seen a dine and dash situation in any restaurant I've been in though.

otaku31 and Demonic Poring like this.
  9. Yul B Allwright

Yul B Allwright Not a suspicious person

Reading List:
    Link
    Make them paid first. There is nothing wrong with that and it pretty common in my place (Bandung) also it will solved this problem obviously.

The other customer who dine and dash must have been heard their friend story who did it at your place ,Furthermore, if your restaurant pretty big then it must been hard to keeping tab of your customer, so yeah, i would reccomend you to make them paid first.

10. Concernedcitizen

Concernedcitizen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Set it up like a fast food chain. Counter to order food and pay in front. Give them numbers and let the server bring the food

11. Daily

Daily 日々いちゃつく

Reading List:
    Link
    If the logistics so far hasn't been working, why shouldn't you change it to pay first?

Another thing is that the only people that will really get affected by that change are your regulars, so if they really like your place and eat often, wouldn't they care about how you do as a business establishment?
    I would also assume the people that dine and dash are one-off customers or assholes that don't come by often. Otherwise, wouldn't you have recognized them by now and have them on your shitlist?

If you do make the change, just make sure that you'll think and plan out all the necessary logistics for pay-first, and have a notification for the change in the management so that your regulars and future customers don't get blindsided.

12. Chrono Vlad

Chrono Vlad 『Banned From Drinking』

Reading List:
    Link
    The customers need to pay first after choosing the food

How about putting up a post stating that there's a change in your Policy that it's due to increasing numbers of dine & dash perpetrators or something...

mir, Fallion and Demonic Poring like this.
  13. Kuroihagane

Kuroihagane Investi-gathor

Reading List:
    Link
    Make them pay right after they finished with their order

14. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Some places that I have seen have 2 doors, 1 for entrance and 1 for exit, this makes it pretty clear who is entering and who is leaving.

But before changing anything, the question boils down to what kind of losses are we talking about? Running a business myself (not a restaurant), we sometimes give credit to people for their inconveniences, this obviously leads to fraud here and there, but as long as its within our set parameters, we just write it off as cost of doing business. Because as you pointed out when you made a change, the damage trying to mitigate minor fraud could cost more than an actual solution. So we focus on the big fraud, and let the little ones slide within tolerable range. The benefit of running the program that keeps people happy is more important than loss of a few thousand per year that it might cost.

Some simple solutions are as mention putting up a camera and keep a record of those who eat and run. Maybe report them to the police or put them on a ban list if you don't want to go that far.

mir and Demonic Poring like this.
  15. Enigma

Enigma Follower of Jesus, he's the only way

Reading List:
    Link
    Install electronic locks that let people enter, but won't let them leave~

Totally won't count as kidnapping or anything >.>

16. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    How big is your restaurant? Also, wow, people there is an ass. At my place, I have never heard of anyone doing that.

Anyway, add some security cameras, big ones if possible, and placed it where everyone would see, preferably near the entrance/exit. You don't even need to power it, just let the mind game do the trick.
    If your doors are two parts, you can use a simple handmade mini-fence and put a sign to separate the exit and entrance in left and right.
    Make a BIG and easily noticeable receipt cover and let the customers hand it to the cashier when they are to leave and pay the bill. This is what pizza did in my place.

I give you so much idea that you have to give a discount for me, ok? :blobdrool:

EDIT: Pic for things that you might mistake because of my bad english.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

mir and Demonic Poring like this.
  17. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link
    How big is your restaurant? Wich area? I think it's good Idea to list the price of food on the front door. Did you give number to the table?

I used to manage a restaurant too. And as far as I remember I never found people who order only to leave the table.

It's located in Pantura way.

And bring back the cash register to the front door. Add more people to accompany the cashier. Put a person into front door to give table number. Might as well create system so the cashier know who haven't pay a bill and who just entered. Like whenever someone order the food there's a system that notified the cashier wich table that place an order. And wich table that got order. And when they leave your cashier will know.

If your front door is quite spacious. It's good idea to divided into two lines, one for enter and the other for exit. And put cash register on exit side.

If all fails just used McD or KFC system. Wich is forced customer to order in cash register.

Let me know your restaurant address, via messages. I'll bring my family to eat there this weekend (if I'm not busy):aww:

kenar, mir and Demonic Poring like this.
  18. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Where do you set up shops ? I think you're not opening that restaurant in proper neighborhood.

otaku31 and GDLiZy like this.
  19. Sunlight_Brother

Sunlight_Brother Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Agriculture!? Me too, but I am mostly livestock what are you?

20. 4myzelf

4myzelf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Food crops