Plastic Surgery?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cap.toon, Apr 8, 2019.

1. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn... This is just such a good yet dark answer.

But in all seriousness, I get where OP is coming from. Your mom is someone that you see as a perfect person in most cases. You don't want to believe that they believe they are imperfect. And from what you have written, I would say that plastic surgery might simply be a financial burden on her. However, at the same time, try to understand where your mom is coming from. For how long has she been feeling that she is in need of something that essentially changes her? That might be the right place to start.

Rationally speaking, this surgery is not at all advised for her. However, for her, this might be an emotional decision. Just bare with her for a while. Try to understand what is the cause of her inferiority complex. Try to tell her that she isn't what someone might have made her out to be. And if all this fails, well you can always punch her nose.

2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, i made it dark for a purpose, but in a therapeutic setting you could explore all her insecurities and imperfections, compare it to that of others and make it clear she's focusing on one flaw to feel she can control her aging, but since you can't stop that process she'll soon fixate on other aspects after the nose.

I believe people with a nose deformity could do better after a nose job, but in this case it's like it's not a solution to the core issue.
    Becoming aware of your inner demons is brutal when not done through a proper process with support.

imK and Night Ghost like this.
  3. McNoodle

McNoodle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The first thing I'd say is that they look fine the way they are but if they insist, they should at least be 100% vested in getting the plastic surgery cuz there ain't no going back. Hopefully she'll be content after that nose job otherwise surgery ain't the solution if you don't like how you look regardless.

4. TheZephyrStorm

TheZephyrStorm Rock God

Reading List:
    Link
    At the end of the day,to her body, her choice. If she truly wants s nose job, I say get it. Just remember to be supportive after. No one wants their loved ones to hate their choices

5. Demonic Poring

Demonic Poring 『Well-Known Poring』

Reading List:
    Link
    Plastic surgery is pretty common in Korea, so I don't really care. If my family (my mom and sisters, or my brother) want to get plastic surgery, they better prepared for not getting a cent from my father or me for the rest of their lives. My father really hates plastic surgery. As for me, I think plastic surgery is okay as long as it's not too much.

6. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel that the kid could be a proper support...

7. SolInvictus

SolInvictus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's nothing objectively wrong with cosmetic surgery ('cosmetic' is more accurate because plastic isn't what's used in most surgeries anymore). If you go to an expert nowadays there isn't much risk for such simple procedures and there have been many non-surgical cosmetic procedures developed and regularly used.

As for your mother's finances, I don't know them but, any change to your appearance is the same. Dental work, tattoos, haircuts, etc They all need to be touched up to keep looking good. You're not done after getting braces. Your teeth still keep shifting throughout your life so often, you still need to wear dentures until you get fed up and sometimes you have to get braces again after a few years. You could say the same thing about getting your haircut. It will just change again and you'll need to keep getting it done but, if the effort and money are worth it - where's the problem?

The main issue I see is why she wants to get it done. If she is doing it for her own beauty standards then that's fine. Those are unlikely to change that often and she will feel good so long as the surgery is successful. If she is doing it for other people's standards it's an issue because other people want so many things that change frequently and often contradict. If she gets curvy people will call her fat; if she gets skinny people will call her anorexic. She won't find happiness in public opinion because it's full of assholes and people who don't know what they want or why they want the things they want.

One of my friends did get her eyelid surgery done in her teens (she's about 30 now). Her eyes do look better than before. She hasn't gotten any other surgeries because she's comfortable with everything else. She got the surgery for her own beauty standards and it did open up a few doors for her. So good game well played.

Some women have wrinkled granny boobs as teenagers (see Mia Khalifa before. Much better now) some people have terrible burns on their faces or other deformities. The fact is, physical appearance isn't everything - it doesn't define you as a person but, it is very important because hardly anyone will get to know you if you look worse than average. Some people never get a lover their entire lives because of how they look and that's sad because we don't get to choose that. Your mother has a choice.

Some surgery does make you look objectively better and so long as you have realistic expectations and are doing it for your own beauty standards that's fine. Otherwise, she'll end up in a cycle of trying to impress everyone and never succeeding.

PS. You should tell your mom that attractiveness and beauty aren't the same. While she will certainly get less beautiful as she ages, she can become more attractive.

Attractiveness is all the things that draw you to a person. This could be anything from their voice, or their smell to their virtues e.g., creativity, ambition, sense of humour, determination etc are all part of what makes a person attractive. Beauty fades fairly quickly and people get bored of it even faster. A fresh coat of paint only makes you feel good for a few weeks/months then you crave something new. Any person who likes her primarily for her looks will want something fresh in under a month.
    Don't get me wrong, virtues are the same. People get bored of them if they don't change. That's how our minds work as humans - attention goes to new things. However, virtues grow as you keep working on them. You keep getting funnier, your plans get bigger, your perseverance goes from 2 years of fighting for your dream to 10 years, etc. Those parts of you keep growing if you work on them. So even though everyone will objectively keep getting less beautiful (physically attractive) after a certain point. Some people keep getting more attractive until they die...or their brain stops functioning properly.

I'll admit that far fewer people appreciate a person for their character than their looks. But, those are far more fulfilling relationships. You don't have much say in how you look. Even with surgery. But, your character is self-chosen and self-made. Someone loving you for that is them giving you their highest approval and emotion for the millions of decisions it took for you to become that person.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  8. Asdq

Asdq RSS FEED SECT! I WANT YOU FOR THE RSS ARMY!

Reading List:
    Link
    She is probably jewish.

9. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    For me a big no- no with plastic surgeries is not even “altering what nature gave us”, money requirements , or social opinions, but the fact that any surgery is risky.
    1- anesthesia. One of our cats didn’t wake up from anesthesia a few years back (he broke his paw , we took him to get it fixed via an operation )
    2- infections. Really. Not just the superbug. Not just the “someone didn’t wash their scalpel”. But also after operation have to keep the stitches or whatever clean.

3- taking antibiotics after or before the operation. That has side effects especially in older than middle aged people.

4- after antibiotics you need to take some form of probiotics or whatever stomach medicine.

5- some medicine causes issues like heart attack or whatever. Ok, probably not antibiotics, but who is to say for sure?

6- the idea that the operation will most likely have to be repeated as some body parts move (not sure about nose, but still).

7- imagine your new smaller or larger nose when you suddenly gain or lose weight (idem for lip increase, boob jobs etc)

8- is there a limit to “perfection “? Today you do a nose job (even if you got money for it). Tomorrow you see that you got wrinkles in xyz places. Then liposuction. Tummy tuck. Bigger or smaller breasts (I had an acquaintance who had to have to get a breast reduction- but that’s mainly for medical reasons and not looks). Buttocks. Etc. Great, even if all that works without any medical issues- where is the end to it?

I think that unless you have self love and self confidence- no amount of surgeries will help you feel beautiful.

Family members could help by telling your mother that she’s beautiful without all that. Show her movies with older actresses who are confident in themselves without the surgeries.

mir likes this.
  10. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Plastic surgery is not actually about putting plastic into your face. Although there are treatments that put something into the face such as juvederm. In the case of a nose job (rhinoplasty, not to be confused with rhinoceros) you don't get plastic put inside your nose. The plastic surgeon simply put in cartilage from further up your nose or ripped off from your ears. The term plastic surgery itself doesn't not mean the surgeon put plastic into the body, it's simply called plastic surgery because they change the form of stuff.

If your mom really wish to do it to correct issues with her face, I'd suggest bringing her to the plastic surgeon and have him/her give all the facts, as well as suggestions and additional info that she need to know before she decide about plastic surgery. If you have any question, you should ask them as well. They won't mind even if they're dumb questions.

They should have free consultation as part of a service, unless you go to one of those celebrity clinics. So instead of having prejudice against the process itself, it's best if you get information straight from the horse's butt.

Bad Storm, mir, Ddraig and 2 others like this.
  11. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    You ask what I would say. Well right off the bat I would say no. Imperfections makes things special and more desirable.
    As an example. Look at the difference between recorded music and live music. The perfect song is great and all. But very cookie cutter. It’s a close fake, but the feeling aren’t there. No passion. No heart stoping moment.
    If you want a plastic doll to look at everyday. Than go for it.
    With that said. I have to say as long as your happy and don’t bother others. You can do whatever you want. I have seen really good plastic surgery and I have to admit it looks good on them. That’s not to say they weren’t beautiful before. I can still appreciate the after changes.
    In the end do what you want. If this makes you happy than do it, but try to keep it in moderation. Too much of a good thing tends to have undesirable side effects.
    Good luck.

12. Fallion

Fallion [Indolence Personified]

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t see the point in plastic surgery unless it’s to fix something that actually may hinder them in day to day life.

ExcitableFoci likes this.
  13. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    This advice coming from someone who claims to be a pretend person...

15. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    @Tony . spelled backwards is Y not ? They have the money they have their obsession so why not.

16. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    I was like absolutely correct and then...

17. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    What is wrong with a brofist?

18. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Fisting your mom does not sound like a good idea

19. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    She might just enjoy it IYKWIM

20. jackofalltrades

jackofalltrades New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We all admire beauty, but personally speaking, I am not in favor of plastic surgery.