Recommendations Novels that improve when adapted

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by araarq, Apr 10, 2019.

1. araarq

araarq Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you recommend some novels that improved when adapted into a different format, like if it got better when it became a manga or a tv show.

Deleted member 125960 likes this.
  2. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Only I level up, better as the manwha.

FranckOA, Cosmic_, ORoger and 7 others like this.
  3. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cosmic_ likes this.
  4. uziex91

uziex91 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What kind of improvement do you mean? Is it the story? Or overall feeling and enjoyment? I'm not really sure, but I only know Duoluo Dalu and Moonlight Sculptor. Simply because the drawing are pretty good(not to mention full color), and depicted the scenes well enough imo. And also Half Prince I guess? Although quite old school style, but still pretty good.

5. araarq

araarq Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It honestly depends on the novel. Sometimes, when it is adapted, it is written in a way that makes the story flow better, sometimes, just seeing in a different format makes it better, etc

6. Nyeko

Nyeko Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I felt that Duoluo's manga pacing went to shit at some point though. The art was the only good part.

uziex91 likes this.
  7. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    It was supposed to get better, not worse... (Duoluo Dalu and LMS manga :blob_coughblood:)

Anyway, on topic: Re:Monster is definitely preferable as manga rather than novel because of the writing style. The whole diary/activity log thing works quite well in manga, but imho it was just weird when reading the novel...

8. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    It also depends on the translation quality of the novel. Semi-MTL is easy to trump with more visual based media.

uziex91 likes this.
  9. Tempest

Tempest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Youjo Senki is better as a manga. The art is prettier than the anime, and the contents are not as dense as the light novel.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  10. Hoshiandme

Hoshiandme A Wandering Star Who Watches From Afar

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep.
    Youjo Senki the novel is just a mass information overhaul. I couldn’t even finish reading it. It was a mass dump of information each chapter that it got boring and dull real quickly.
    Even though the premise is about a man who reincarnates into a little girl who is sent to war and turns into a psycho loli.
    I did not need to read pages and pages of how buildings work and how the psychology of the mind works or how machines are created down to every LITTLE detail. The novel just dumps crap ton of information. Way too much.

araarq likes this.
  11. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Youjo Senki more or less improved lots after getting adapted to manga. The novel is still really REALLY good and it couldn't have been written any better, but the manga took it a step further by adding its own style that's only possible as a manga or anime format. The novel felt like a huge info dump a lot of times, and for a good reason, such a historical military based novel can't do without it, it successfully keeps you glued to the story even through that...but the manga was able to brilliantly surpass that problem with its amazing detailing of the battle plans and formations through the drawings and they do it in a single page or less without having to resort to lots of texts. The art style of the manga is by far one of my favorite art styles in any manga or anime. It so accurately captures the feel of an old Europe kinda style. Isekai stuff recently do a lot of medievel Europe kinda theme and there have been no other that captured it as perfectly as the Youjo Senki manga(although its not really medieval Europe, it's still world war 1 which was quite far back also). It's style really stands out, and the uniforms look damn good. It also does a special style of art for explaining battle strategies and whatnot where it uses animal heads for references to the country and it works so well and makes understanding a lot easier. That style fits so perfectly with its own art style that's usually present, it's amazing. Check it out.

The anime truly looks like it fucked up compared to that and the novel illustrations and it's glowey eyes. Don't get me wrong, the anime is really good. It's one of my favorite animes. But it skims over a lot of stuff to bring you to the direct action, and they really tried to show Tanya's young age through her art with pouty lips and such, which I didn't like cause she looks so fucking cool in the novel and manga illustrations. But the anime did do one thing that separates it from the novel and the manga...its how it portrayed Being X. The way he appears, how time stops, how he takes control over props and people, and that one time he talked through a nutcracker on a burning plane that Tanya just shot down in the middle of the snow...it really gets the atmosphere going with its eeriness and mystery.

12. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
  13. jgfenix

jgfenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  14. Setra

Setra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  15. Mighty Action X

Mighty Action X Mighty and Invincible

Reading List:
    Link
    Knight's & Magic. Simply because it's a novel about Gundam-like machines from a Different World and the art is good both on the Manga and the Anime.

16. Nyamsus

Nyamsus Life is full of shit and we live in it

Reading List:
    Link
  17. Geor

Geor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lurking ... sadly most listed so far I've read... (and some I always put down to the translation quality )

18. Tempest

Tempest Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is also a television adaptation of The Legend of Minglan. It doesn't strictly follow the events in the novel, but it is still really good... (I'm watching it right now, so I just wanna throw it out there as a suggestion.)

19. uziex91

uziex91 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, that's why I asked what kind of improvement it is. Manga/manhwa has visual images to describe the scenes as compared to novels which are just text, so in a way, that's already an improvement. For those two, the drawing are good enough so that the action, gag scenes, etc are more enjoyable. And I already dropped them anyway, that's why I'm not sure about the other aspect and just mention the drawing.
    Oh yeah, Re:Monster was good. But just like some other adaptations, it left out many details from the novel too, which is qute a shame. And character's proportions in the drawings are quite weird sometimes :blob_coughblood:

Back to the topic. If you don't mind JP slice of life kind of things, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear and FUNA's works has a pretty good manga adaptations.
    Oh right...and what do you guys think about Ze Tian Ji? I watched the tv show (it's pretty good...I guess) but haven't read the novel yet. How does it compares to the novel?

20. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *spit blood*