This is Why The World is Screwed: Most Leaders are Jocks Instead of Nerds

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    The sensationalist title aside, this was a fun read. A lot better than the self absorbed 20 min Ted talks.
    I learnt the history of Ted Talks and the exploitation and not paying speakers even though tickers are sold for thousands of dollars and hence have been shying away from their videos.
    But this video was just too good to pass up, the world is screwed because people confuse charisma with competence:

2. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    Man, I feel like this dude runs a MLM with all his shit posts...

Mnotia, ad_chiat, Soren59 and 6 others like this.
  3. Soren59

Soren59 MTL Shill

Reading List:
    Link
    It was okay, didn't tell me anything I don't already know. I also think he downplays the fact that charisma and confidence are needed to get people to work for you. Part of being a leader is having the ability to make people listen, not just making good decisions.

If you want a good TEDx Talk try this one.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  4. Mazino

Mazino The final chapter.

Reading List:
    Link
    This is shit posting bait but ill bite, nobody is gonna listen to a nerd even if he knows his shit, its basic biology. You think the coding autists in your CompSci class who can only work with numbers and keyboards can serve in leadership positions? No they can't, for the simple fact they have no people skills. As nerds they serve their purpose of keeping the machine running plain and simple. Your jocks serve a different purpose because they have different talents. While your nerd is pencil pushing your jock is people pushing. LIke it or not the world is run by people, so you need someone good with people to keep the flow. If the nerds also develop charisma then there you go, but like most they only maxxed out their int and forgot to put a few points in charm.

Mnotia, kenar, Soren59 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    If you ignore his sarcasm, his speech is actually very convincing :hmm:

Kuro_0ni, SolarMane and Wujigege like this.
  6. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    But why are you people assuming its got to be one way or the other? There ARE intelligent, charismatic people out there.

And you think they AREN'T running the world? Bitch please.

They're just so far up the food chain you dont even know they've been hosting the show. And now they dont even have to, because they have other people to do it for them.

The problem isnt who leads, the problem is the people who follow.

its 100 to 1 and no matter how fucking charismatic you are people will still do whatever the fuck they want the moment your back is turned. Really, we can't help it. Its our nature to be fuck ups regardless of how educated you are, or think you are.

We're like dogs, we shit in the nice, clean yard and dig out the pretty plants.

Except me. I'm perfect.

kenar likes this.
  7. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    That is not how it works because like ina democracy, majority vote wins.
    It is the same when choosing a CEO, a shareholder majority vote decides the CEO.
    The issue is that a majority chooses the worse trait.
    There is a good video on how pure democracy is dangerous

Cupcake Ninja likes this.
  8. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    your are just forgetting party insiders that are the ones that promote candidates and decide politics
    lobbyist that actually fund most of the political parties
    most companies shareholders aren't individuals but funds, with fund managers that answer to clients that normally have companies worth billions,so if you think jeff benzos just have control of amazon, you are wrong he has money and influence in almost every company in the stock market

9. Mazino

Mazino The final chapter.

Reading List:
    Link
    bitch gimme a system and i can show seven ways to rig it, things wont change unless people's inherent needs change which won't happen anytime soon. I need to eat, drink, and have purpose and so does every human on this planet. Till we start gettin thousand year life spans so we can develop a little more patience or scientists crack the code on energy output its gonna be a slow lull on mr. bones wild ride.

Mnotia and Cupcake Ninja like this.
  10. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Not that I watched the video since I'm working, but too many people blame others for their problems. Most systems are fine, just find a way to make it work.

11. Cupcake Ninja

Reading List:
    Link
    Meh, doesnt actually matter. There's other way to control a nation, or manipulate a crowd, but even then though humanity cant stop themselves from putting lightbulbs in their mouths so its all pointless in the long run.

If we're being honest the only system that might be able to stop all the bullshit is a tried and true tyranny with those who rule with an iron fist. And that doesnt mean they have to be bad rulers, but they're normally selfish cunts who end up killed by their own people for being undue assholes.

Besides so long as there are people who think eating tide pods is an acceptable risk for a virtual like online which gives them nothing, well, humanity is doomed not matter how smart or capable our leaders because they're just outnumbered.

Not that i mind overmuch, i dont like most groups of people and those individuals i do like dont either so we're in agreement to just sit back and enjoy our own damn lives

That aside how you doin fam?

Wujigege likes this.
  12. BB_Tensei

BB_Tensei [Crystal Operator][Jack of all Trades]

Reading List:
    Link
    Jocks run shit, because the majority of population is likewise pathetic. :D We had charismatic nerds in the colonial empires, they made a bunch of culture, suffered through the Romantic period and got replaced by jockdom, since those guys work harder. Things will get better when we build enough robots to replace the workers supporting this farce.

Mnotia and Wujigege like this.
  13. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I am doing great. I used to think like you but the world has changed.
    Even stupid China has seen the importance of the resource called humans .
    In a world without the internet I might lose to a poison
    Person who has a friend that can sponsor him with $20 million but thanks to the internet I can have $1 from 100 million people and beat him with $100 million.
    I think we humans are pathetic but we have potential

Cupcake Ninja likes this.
  14. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I favor competence over charisma, because competence is less bias or impartial. That said, being competent in having charisma makes you a charismatic person, but it also proves you have competence. Therefore, competence over charisma. Also, I did not watch your video.

15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha you never watch the videos neither does anyone on here
    no need to mention it as it is a foregone conclusion at this point lol

16. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see... once again, I underestimated the idleness of humans. Essentially, this makes every thread you post, if not all, a singularity. Interesting~

I sense a little bit of madness within your reply. Truly, we are kindred spirits.

Mnotia and Wujigege like this.
  17. Cupcake Ninja

Reading List:
    Link
    Some of us, definitely. We're just dragged down by the ones who dont. We'd have achieved much more by now if we weren't. Still you're right. We've come far in the last few decades. Cant deny that.