Discussion A stupid question on black holes.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lazriser, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is stupid, but I sometimes like it.

So are black holes able to freeze or stop? By this, I mean black holes stopping all activity or undergoing stasis by another force through extraordinary means? It can be fictional in a sense, but said concept should be explainable to a reasonable level of understanding of the nature of the phenomenon that stops the black hole. It can be also scientific, if you're willing to explain in layman terms.

If you wonder why I'm discussing about black holes, well, it's because of the latest news about the first visual evidence of a black hole's existence, and I've never read or seen a fiction where someone stopped a black hole or it's activity.

Edit: I got my answers from ye replies, but I shall not lock this thread, because there are some informative discussions ongoing, that I may might read up.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  2. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    things you shoud know about black holes

they are simply massives objects that attract gravitically everything around them (including light) and at a certain distance of one it is impossible to escape (event horizon)
    a spining black hole allows you to get closer than a stationary one
    black hole aren't complety black, due to quantum effect in the event horizon, it emits hawking radiation slowly losing mass which can eventually evaporate a black hole (theory, not proven?)
    gravitational force has infinity range, and it's waves travel at the speed of light
    gravitational force is always attractive, although it has been theorized the possiilty of negative matter which would be repulsed by positive matter (do NOT confuse this with antimatter)
    also theorized ( but not proven) is the posibillity of a white hole (a symmetric to black hole in the time axis) that can emit anything
    black hole are thought to violate the conservation of information, if they don't violate it then black hole should hold information about everything they consume in their event horizon and as such trasform 3D spatial information in 2D information which launches the possibilty that our universe might be the surface of 4D spatial black hole

3. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    A blackhole has got immense mass which causes it to have extraordinarily high gravity, which pulls everything around it towards itself. Now, what do you mean by the activity of a blackhole? I am assuming it is the gravitational aspect of the black hole. No, you cannot... Like stop gravity. It is a field so the best you can do is resist it.

If you want to resist the pull of a black hole, there is science describing the relation between whether or not you can escape from it with relation to how far away you are from it. Basically, look up event horizon and such other terms.

Now, freezing of a black hole is an interesting topic because tho it seems ridiculous at first glance, it is quite possible hypothetically as we currently don't quite understand the innards of a black hole. But in relation to this, you might definitely want to check out the big freeze theory.

Bad Storm and Lazriser like this.
  4. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I appreciate both your informative replies, but my question has yet to be fully answered, except for the stopping a black hole's activity.

5. Viator

Viator [Cult of Pyoo: Pyoo's Oak Tree]

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't say I'm any kind of expert, but I watched a documentary on black holes, and I believe it was mentioned that there can be inactive black holes. There is also a current train of thought that there's a black hole at the center of every Galaxy including our own. Ours just happens to be an inactive black hole, but they can reactivate at any point I guess. It's theorized that they may be instrumental in the development of galaxies themselves somehow. At least that's what I remember from the documentary. But we really don't know all that much.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, as I'm only pulling from bits of memories of a single documentary.

6. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A black hole's "activity" is just existing. There's not really anything to stop. Even if you magically froze time around the black hole it wouldn't change much (actually, if you want to be realistic then "stopping time around a black hole" would mostly just look like a bigger black hole).
    You could make it stop rotating, which changes the properties of the black hole a bit. It makes it simpler, with a completely spherical event horizon for example. But it still has the same gravity and works much the same way.

I think the closest thing to what you're looking for would be getting rid of the black hole entirely.
    That makes zero sense.

DocB likes this.
  7. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm you see according to hawking's radiation black holes produce electromagnetic radiation which, according to theory, should be emitted by it. The radiation is due to the black hole capturing one of a particle-antiparticle pair created spontaneously near to the event horizon. This can lead to black holes losing their mass. This can be said to be an extremely fast as well as an extremely slow process as the relative mass lost by it is extremely low compared to the mass it gains.
    So coming back to your question as you should already know that in simple terms black hole is a region where a large amount of mass (more like zillions of tons) is concentrated at a single point and the density there can be infinity. And so due to the extreme gravity produced from it, it pulls the mass around it and well what happens ? It spins and moves around the universe and so the black hole always spins endless while eating at matter. Also it is likely that after no large matter is left in the universe and the black hole starts to live its mass the may even get faster and will only stop when the black hole evaporates with a boom.

So basically if you want to stop a black hole then simply stop time (which would give you a bigger but still black hole as even photons won't be able to travel) or stop or counter gravity which is should be even more impossible (i mean who would even think about resisting the greatest source of gravity in the universe even if it is a black hole the size of an ant)

Simply it is no

8. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    you can't , gravity affect everything with mass so except for a few elemetary particle without mass you can't stop it

if you want to neutralize one best case scenaro you would have to eliminate all graviton (hypothecial quantum of gravity) , the particle responsible for gravity propragation, around it, now how the fuck you eliminate a massless spin 2 boson that is thought to be all over the vaccum and that we can't even detect, is beyond me (after all graviton are thought to not interact with the other 3 fundamental forces (elecromagnetism, strong nuclear and weak nuclear)

Lazriser likes this.
  9. An Anime Addict

Reading List:
    Link
    Who made this outrageously wrong documentary :facepalm:

10. SoulZer0

SoulZer0 Heaven Refining

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Viator

Reading List:
    Link
    It was on Netflix a while back. You might be able to find it again.

12. An Anime Addict

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah not about the white hole but the bullshit inactive black hole

13. An Anime Addict

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh now we are talking about a true black hole ( ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o)

14. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Inactive black holes would straight up break physics. Gravity is as said earlier a field and gravity does not simply stop. Ever. Its reach is also infinite, but the attracting force reduces exponentially with distance. Imagine a big blanket held up in air at its corners. Now you throw a big ball and some marbles on it. The marbles will roll towards it, unless they themselves have enough speed to roll in a massive ring around it. Thats what stars are doing btw. Its also true that the center of our own galaxy is a super massive black hole.

Now stopping a blackhole... well. the only way is to either limit its gravitational effect right at the event horizon. This is pure fiction as the only way to fix that would be creating a second field with opposing properties. Yeah no, thats something beyond the capabilities of life.
    On the other hand you could seperate space so it no longer exists in the same dimension. This would require straight up magic. On a galaxy ending scale, mind you. And effectively remove the black hole from existence.

So well... black holes are never really... inactive.

DocB likes this.
  15. Viator

Reading List:
    Link
    All I can tell you is what I remember from a documentary I watched a long time ago. And there are a lot of documentaries that can be bulshit out there. Little known fact about documentaries is they don't actually have to be factual to be considered one. That's why I'm always skeptical myself.

16. An Anime Addict

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup that's true and that's why self learned knowledge is the best

17. Viator

Reading List:
    Link
    Black holes themselves break down physics. Lol that kind of what makes them what they are... But when I say inactive I think I do remember it making the distinction that they don't stop entirely, just slow way down. Again not saying this documentary is factual. But I did indeed watch it, so it's out there somewhere.

18. An Anime Addict

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean saying that there can be inactive black hole then doesn't that mean that earth may suddenly lose its gravity for a little time and everybody starts to float and then it starts again and everybody falls but damn wouldn't that be horrifyingly awesome

19. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm guessing the documentary was actually talking about active/inactive galactic nuclei. That doesn't mean the black hole is actually active/inactive, "active" in this case just means it's way more luminous than usual for various reasons.

philgreek likes this.
  20. Viator

Reading List:
    Link
    I do enjoy that image.