Discussion What turned you into an Otaku?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Hasr11, Apr 15, 2019.

1. RedIska

RedIska Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My friend, who had bad influence on me in general, showed me Naruto and guided me to Piracy(?) stall with burned DVDs, then I was gifted with Baki and Spirited Away 720p Pirate rips from my uncle. After i got internet, i started watching up-to date Naruto Shippuden. I entered into real-anime-world with 5 cm per second and experienced romance meltdown for the next 6 months.

My top 1 anime is - Angel's Beats.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    sweed likes this.
  2. xtremeloldude

xtremeloldude the slime guy

Reading List:
    Link
    my friend on skype kept sending me scenes from kore wa zombie desu ka? and i had to figure out what circumstances led to a man getting stabbed repeatedly in the ass by bamboo spears

Munchingonclouds and sweed like this.
  3. ADABANA

ADABANA Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    godannar was he first anime that I watched when I was 7 bacck then I did not even know the word anime I just though it was cool cartoon

after that came one piece and I never looked back.

4. Wantingit

Wantingit Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Highschool dxd, or more specifically, rias gremory, even more specifically, red haired anime girls.

5. chris1120

chris1120 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pure spite because i want people i hate watch me enjoy my hobbies...

6. killcon456

killcon456 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Air Gear

Clozdark and kuu0haku like this.
  7. Tsuru55

Tsuru55 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it was when i was searching "japan funny" keywords in youtube and found a amv of Lovely complex. Made me interested in animes.

For novels, i had 2 moments, one is Baka to test that made me interested in LNs with baka-tsuki but not interested for long.
    I became interested again by the manga with the MC that wins 40 billions in lottery or something and can go in isekai by a old house. As i couldn't wait for next chapter that is surely monthly, i checked to see if there was a translation of LN or something.

Hmmm manga is maybe naruto ? Not a fan of it though.
    *Hugs*

8. jersanxx1

jersanxx1 『Lost Toy』『Mostly Lurking』

Reading List:
    Link
    I was already influenced by Anime(though it was local dub) ever since my childhood days(Voltes V, YuYu Hakusho(for some reason it was called "Ghost fighters" here), DBZ, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Daimos, and many more), found manga(I was an aggregate pleb tho, dunno scanlators' site was a thing until 2 years or so). Then for some reason, IDK how but I somehow found Baka-tsuki in its starting years whilst surfing... After that, I got full weeb mode after reading Hidan no Aria(Fuck YenPress).

kuu0haku likes this.
  9. rilakkuma

rilakkuma [ʕ •ᴥ•ʔゝ☆][A Victim][Huggle Bear]

Reading List:
    Link
    >.>
    It was on my recommended list on YouTube for some reason. So I clicked on Special A :blobpats:

10. Jiggy

Jiggy I am JiggyliFAP~ the not fat anymore guy.

Reading List:
    Link
    I forgot... But the series I watched when I was young was Pokemon. What made me visit anime sites though was One Piece,I think or was it hentai... I dunno, lol.

11. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Seiba. Kuudere in action.

12. sufod01

sufod01 Ghost

Reading List:
    Link
    When i watched my friend shouting some weird spells openly and doing some weird hand move : Kamehameha.
    Needed to learn it because it seemed to be a common sense...

Hasr11 likes this.
  13. Subtledread

Subtledread Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I was a kid I got into Yu Yu hakusho and Gundam Wing. Kept watching anime as I grew up and then got into Chinese novels after reading “Blue Phoenix” when it came out.

Hasr11 likes this.
  14. Greedyspree

Greedyspree 『Exile within the back room』

Reading List:
    Link
    Adult Swim, between Inuyasha and FLCL it was everything a growing young boy needed to fall off the norm path.

Hasr11 likes this.
  15. markro1248

markro1248 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Started with me for GBA games called astro boy, shaman king, and yu-yu hakusho. Later somehow saw a bleach episode air on adult swim and wondered why it was named after cleaning detergents and watched the whole thing (I think 150 episodes at that time???)

Hasr11 and kuu0haku like this.
  16. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah good choice brother. You truly have fine taste.

Wantingit likes this.
  17. MostlyBlue

MostlyBlue Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sailor moon and dragon ball, didn't know it was anime though, thought it was cartoon.

Hasr11 and Meloman like this.
  18. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    Almost a decade(9 years) since the time I watched my 1st anime.....I don't really remember which it was.
    I transitioned from Anime to Manga to Novel, and I also don't remember what was the 1st for me for all 3 of them.

At 1st, it was curiosity. Anime Art was Awesome, Beautiful, and Gorgeous! I frequently saw them as Ads for some Anime-related Online Game sites(I didn't know back then).
    And then Hatsune Miku's song was the driving point that lead me to Anime for real. I was searching for her to see from which Anime she came from, and along the way, I got to know many Anime, and that led me to like them for real. When Anime wasn't enough, I turned to Manga, and the same thing happened with Novel.

One of the main factor was also because I was really bored with my life I guess....when you lived for quite a long time and all....I really don't want to imagine what my life would be right now if I never discover Anime....Like many people have been, Anime did change my life in many ways, not entirely though. One of the sad point for me is that I'm still a Loner since then to even now.....I really want to find some Otaku friends....

Hasr11 and Meloman like this.
  19. YoreiKay

YoreiKay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gundam SEED for me. They're airing every 6 at weekend when I was kid and that's my waking up time every day.

20. TRIBAL2199

TRIBAL2199 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    DBZ was my gateway drug, it would come on at 6 A.M. on Saturdays and I'd set my alarm just to get up and watch it. After that it was whatever came on Toonami, until I eventually discovered subs/manga through Naruto.