Discussion What turned you into an Otaku?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Hasr11, Apr 15, 2019.

1. molecule

molecule Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Anime probably dbz. I always skip the talk just to watch the fight scenes. Until this day I haven't finished dbz yet.
    For manga im sure it's bakuman. After reading Bakuman, I asked my close friend to be my partner as Mangaka. I will write the story and he will draw. Of course we gave up after our first chapter, it's so bad that we were embarrassed by it ._.

Hasr11 likes this.
  2. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    So, I was walking down that dark tunnel and there were those weird sounds and rustling and stuff and then there was a wild otaku that bit me. I then felt that weird throbbing in my left eye and then there was an indescribable sense of hunger... I couldn't sate it by any means and I had to get more and more of anime and manga and before I noticed I was an otaku...

Hasr11, Meloman and Lemonfairy like this.
  3. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    Hent... I mean hamtaro, since watch it, I suddenly become otaku

4. MrLLama

MrLLama Just a Fancy Llama.

Reading List:
    Link
    Running out...
    First i ran out of books(physical) then i ran out of things to watch, then i ran out of anime, afterwards i ran out of manga, and like this i continued through BakaUpdates, Novel translations subreddit, NU,RRL, FF, Aaaaaaand currently ran out of everything to read.........

Hasr11 likes this.
  5. kfahad

kfahad 『The Lurker Beast』『Beast fallen』

Reading List:
    Link
    Power Ranger, Ultraman, Doraemon, out law star, Zenki, voltes V, daimos, Gundam wing, zoids, Slamdunk, etc 90s kids from Philippines if you know what I mean.

6. frosty2700

frosty2700 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    jews and isolation

7. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Start writing

otaku31 likes this.
  8. MrLLama

MrLLama Just a Fancy Llama.

Reading List:
    Link
    Not even joking I am contemplating it. Too bad that my mind is too chaotic to make any long time order to make something interesting...
    Sure doesn't help my programming or writing.
    (Already tried about 4 times, always got stuck after around page or 2 on constant rewriting of what i written to infinity because i didnt like style or grammar)
    (And being in Uni doesn't help keeping any kind of plot in mind either)

9. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    patlabor
    my mum love it, so naturally i pick it up, and she watch love hina too.....

10. Meloman

Meloman My dog is lazier than me

Reading List:
    Link
    Continue the two pages (new ones, doesn’t matter). One day it will become 3 pages. Next thing you know you are on a bestseller list... :blob_sunglasses:

11. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not an otaku but a weeb. Though I don't purchase products, I very much like what the anime, manga, and gaming industries in Japan supplies, at least most or some of them.

Reality is often scarring than fiction, because there are no alternatives in reality. Then again, disturbing fictitious content is somewhat based on real life scenarios, that fiction just takes the extreme version of what has already happened in reality. Not all cases, but there are truths, I've rather not learn from fiction, only to be astounded the reality of it all is worse.

So what turned me into a weeb? Escapism and passing boredom.

12. Xalysian

Xalysian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  13. Skarmie

Skarmie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it was Macross & Gundam Stuff~

14. Heckaton

Heckaton Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to watch mainstream animes (inuyasha, Naruto, gundam seed, conan, etc) when I was a kid, but I didn't know they were an anime until much later. My path to full weebness started way, way later in highschool, when I watched SAO along with some friends.

For manga, it was conan and naruto, as internet wasn't much popular back then, and those are the only popular comicbook I can get.

As for novel, it was also SAO, I think? Don't really remember since I binge read a lot of novels when I started (thanks, baka-tsuki)

15. The Ram

The Ram [Anxiety Sheep]

Reading List:
    Link
    This is how its like for me too lately,

But honestly i started with naruto. Watched it off youtube and that sorts of websites after i first went to school, shit got real after i found bleach and then i got the romance bug and for that there was nothing quite like anime. Cool action and actual romantic developments.. Eventually i got bored with shorter animes so i went over to manga in 7th grade and a few years after that i got into actual novels with my first being this weird time loop novel w/ 6 novels... That didn't quite get me too into asian novels tho (i still read western stuff) until i found coiling dragon. And then the binging started, haven't stopped since and that was a good 6 years ago

16. Kuroihagane

Kuroihagane Investi-gathor

Reading List:
    Link
    Believe it or not, everything started from memes.

Hasr11 likes this.
  17. MrSplashy

MrSplashy Grey Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Life made me like this and also my cousin.

Watched Code Geass on a Filipino dub back then and I fell in love with the anime after that I continued to watch anime for a few years before stopping for a few months until Date A Live shows up and then it made me become the biggest weeb/otaku that I have ever been until Life happened and well I stopped watching anime now...

18. xluferx

xluferx [The writer who writes for fun][Meme lord]

Reading List:
    Link
    "Otaku que veo Otaku que pateó."
    Wise words

19. purple_mangosteen

purple_mangosteen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    National TV in my country broadcast anime so I grew up watching Doraemon, dragon ball, Ultraman, Kamen Rider, etc. But back then, I only thought of them as cartoon/kid drama. It was in high school when i realized that those are called anime and then I started watching nonstop.

But now I rarely watch them. I still read manga though. Any bookstore in my country has shelves dedicates solely to manga, you can find popular title like Conan, One piece, naruto, hunter x hunter to more mature manga.

As for yaoi/bl, the first one I watch is anime gravitation. I never knew yaoi before that. And ever since I start reading yaoi manga. As for yaoi novel, I only found out last year that there are tons of C yaoi novel. I didn't know they exist in that country too!

I also write yaoi fanfiction. But on hiatus now since I don't have time.

20. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Saturday morning cartoons. Dragonball, Robotech(Super Demensional Fortress Macross), the differnt gundam series, dragon ball z, appleseed, bubblegum crisis, AKIRA, and about a thousand other anime, manga, and light novels that I downloaded off fileshare programs in the late 90s and early 2000s.

I've also been a massive consumer of video game consoles and computer games. LoL my first computer was a compac portable computer. It literally looked like this.
    compaqI.JPG
    And here were its specs
    20190419_230821.jpg
    Funny part is I found that computer in a storage room a few years back. Plugged it in and booted right up(boot disk was in the drive) sadly I don't remember much DOS anymore or I could have played more with it xD As it stands it doesnt have a harddrive so all games had to be loaded on the big floppy 5-1/4 disks. And I'd bet there is more then a handful of people that still have working floppy disks, let alone games.

Looking back at the specs, I find it funny they claim it has a color gfx card when the monitor screen was a mono-chrome(black green) screen xD

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019