Mandatory Military Training

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wujigege, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Adislt2

Adislt2 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah death of military service is not uncommon though not often happens, in my country most accident resulted to death mostly done by military airplane crash when the soldier of my country test them or train with them
    But died when repairing a tank, it's either the victim have accident when repairing the tank
    Or he forget or ignored the safety course when repairing a military vehicle
    And honestly i don't understand why many civilians that joined the mandatory military service have post that need experience and military skill ( in my opinion repairing military class vehicle isn't as same repairing normal vehicle )

2. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    Singaporean has always been the independent lot. Though they likely had the national service because they were afraid that Malaysia would push them around lol

On the other hand, in the mid 2000s, Malaysia also started national service. Unlike Singapore though, the first few years only the few selected ones (mostly recommended by teachers, whether the students liked it or not) were sent there. Then they had more budget, so they started sending all high school graduates to the national camps. Then Najib ruined everything by turning it into political brainwashing camp.

And no, celebrities should not be exempted from anything that others had to do. That just creates an elitist society. Where will it end? If you allow celebrities to be exempted, then you will also eventually allow children of rich people to be exempted too, then children of ministers will also be exempted, then children of teachers will also be exempted. You do not want an elitist society.

As for celebrities increasing tourism... eh I don't understand why think so. I don't know who Aloysius Pang is and I certainly don't care enough to visit a country just to see pretty people. When Jamie Ang's scandal broke out, Ai-chan wanted to go there and pat her at places where it would feel good, but never actually done it.

When people visit America, they didn't go there to look at Angelina Jolie, or Brad Pitt. If they want to watch the movies, they can watch it in their own homes. If I want to gawk at hotty Melissa Theuriau, I wouldn't go to France, I would open youtube. Celebrities do not contribute to tourism.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  3. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    If I read it correctly, Singapore has this system where the civilians can act as a military force because it is a small nation with limited people, not teaching the civilians about the maintenance of military vehicles or other things like arming ammunitions and perhaps logistics is counterproductive as the military will use the civilians in times of crisis like ordinary soldiers. More people having the skills other than people who are full time soldiers can be useful when people are dying left and right I suppose.

After reading your post, just one question, why are the children of teachers getting the same privilege as the rich and famous lol?

4. Adislt2

Adislt2 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see....my country doesn't have mandatory military service so i really don't understand why mandatory military service should include the participants holding an official post

5. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Because in my Malaysia, teachers can recommend either a sick kid go to national service or a healthy kid to skip national service. The recommendation are taken as is and no cross examination is done whatsoever. This is done sparingly and teachers are afraid of abusing this privilege. However, if people start getting exceptions, you will see even teachers will use their privilege to prevent their nancy-boys from going to the national service.

6. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    This selective picking still on going ? Thought parents and media would be more lively if that was the cases ?

7. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    ...wtf since when the hell a teacher has so much power? A doctor maybe, writing an official letter is easy.

8. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    In Malaysia, teachers are supermen and superwomen. They teach, they study, they organize events, they greet politicians, they prepare food, they lead camping trips, they conduct tutoring classes, they make stuff go boom, they meet with parents, they give student counsellings, they do makeups, they fix your car, they conduct theaters and musical practices and they also also function as free clerks. All this with only 2 hours of sleep every day. 4 hours of sleep in the weekends.

With such multilayered responsibilities, it would be unfair not to give them more responsibilities, right?

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  9. Ai chan

Reading List:
    Link
    Not anymore. Now everyone has to go. But teachers can still recommend for some students to be granted leave. It's up to the person processing the admission of the student whether they do get exempted, though.

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  10. Bakaturq

Bakaturq Tell me, what do you see?

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno much, but back when i was on duty, (during EOY and SOY T-T)
    I received news of deaths that occurred post partying. 1 during EOY, and 1 during SOY.

And the one who died SOY was part of my flight. Knew each other on everyday basis.
    He dies in a car crash/drink driving. And prior to that, there was news he got his thai gf preggo by accident and the gf demans he marry her/pay for her. Poor guy, not sure is by accident or could not handle it...

11. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, mine just skip lessons cuz he is still feeling the hangover after drinking himself down for passing 30s as a bachelor.

Ai chan likes this.
  12. Drevart

Drevart [Eternal illusion][Tea lover][MC RLOAT]

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm... we have the same thing I believe, but you can be exempted from the army because of your health and if you are studying in university. But it's only 1 year here

13. lykizan

lykizan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    singapore has national service not because of one country in particular, it's for the general defence of the country
    are you trying to tell me that a country's safety has to be threatened first before they can have a way to protect themselves
    in the words of my social studies teacher, having ns is a preventive measure for singapore as we did not already have an army.

the government was prompted to have national service when the british withdrew their troops in the 1960s btw

celebrities should also enlist in national service. to me, they are citizens of their countries first, and famous entertainers second.

and before you say i just dont care about this particular celebrity that passed away, trust me, i do. i grew up watching shows with him in it and he has become a familiar face.

not really.

Bright_Lucky_Star and Wujigege like this.
  14. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha you gave a reason.
    Military professionals will tell you that it is not a good idea. You don't have to take my word for it. Just Google it.

15. lykizan

lykizan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what's not a good idea? sorry i got a little confused.

16. reagents 11

reagents 11 disaster personified

Reading List:
    Link
    Whenever someone bend the rules to set an exemption they're setting a new low. Laws work because they're respected and acknowledged by it's subject without such respect it's easy for the laws ignored or objected by their subject altogether.
    And Singapore want an edge in military power against their rival southeastern Asian country but they just can't compete with the other country in total national power where it count because their very small territory. So the system work great as a display of power that is their objective. Why would they want an edge ? It's simply because they're wealthy.

17. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Mandatory military training.
    It is grossly inefficient.

18. TiggerBane

TiggerBane Always asleep yep yep yep| Canidae lover

Reading List:
    Link
    If you have a mandatory military service, then no one should be exempt unless they are physically or mentally incapable of meeting the requirements of the military that is the only time that they should be disallowed. Any selection of groups of the population must be as random and unbiased as possible otherwise it divides populations.

19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    depend why it run on first place
    if the country on constant threat from it surrounding such as Israel even pro military will agree with mandatory training cuz it about survival reason~
    less than that I guess Korea case which two country glaring each other~ not full blown war but nah~
    more less case is small country with relative speaking small army with historical region war so it apply total war system~ Switzerland I guess~
    so which of those 3?

imo mandatory military training is highly inefficient when population reach certain point of population number compare with country size, country hmm military budget and regional geo politic plus security I guess~
    well imagine how much resource require to training 10++ millions cats who must enlist on mandatory military training
    sound unrealistic? go search top 5 country on number of population and how many people on range 18~25 years old on those country
    I'm not military pro~ I just consider it from government PoV

Wujigege likes this.