How to Find motivation for writing?

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by I Ship anything cute, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Arexio

Arexio Blob Fanatic | AG Player

Reading List:
    Link
    If you REALLY want an easy way to write, come over to the AG subforum. (*inserts plug*)

It's literally just writing a bunch of short stories while RPing as a character you create. I think it'll help you find some inspiration (and it's super fun) while you're PLAYING A GAME.

Because that's what it is. Just a game, so there's really no pressure haha; no readers demanding updates or any deadlines. I would say it has definitely improved my amateur writing skills as sometimes it's just about putting your mind to it and getting more practice in.

Here's the registration link for you and anybody else that's interested. Lurk around the threads there and see if it's for you.

Hope it helps. Peace out.

2. eseul

eseul [ blank ] |_・)

Reading List:
    Link
    well. I don't "write" my own stories. But I do translate. What you gotta do is just push push push yourself. You must force yourself to write. Almost make it a job. Even if you only write a little bit everyday. When it snowballs, it will amount to a lot.

3. Feng Tian

Feng Tian Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Forcing something only ends in inferior quality. Its half the reason so many novels simply start sucking after a few chapters.

I usually write down my ideas in a small notebook, even if I never forget them anyway. Later I just make a can of tea, maybe play a good game for a bit, and then sit down writing. The next day I edit (and most likely rewrite literally half the chapter). Gets about 20k words done in a week for me. Never forget thinking shit trough before you tyoe it down however. N.EV.E.R.

4. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Two options, 1 is use an audio note on your phone where you record it that way. Or go with the Steven King method, aka ‘anything you can’t remember the next day wasn’t that good of an idea’.

5. I Ship anything cute

I Ship anything cute [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you.

6. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    • Taking a writing class
    • Be poor and let your poverty motivate you

7. Bluebery

Bluebery Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Lukha

Lukha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think for your initial ideas, it'd be great to jot them down on a notepad (as others have mentioned above), and to keep motivated, I think it might be a good idea to also get a writing music playlist! I know that when I'm in a writing mood, I always have some music that I like to play to keep me motivated, and it helps me concentrate. This can also be used in finding a nice place to write! Whether it be at the library, in a park, or just somewhere where you feel comfortable and are able to keep the ideas and creative juices flowin'!

Another piece of advice would be to write a story that you yourself would want to read! I'm writing a novel in a genre I love, and being able to create something that I know I'd love to reread is something that helps me keep motivated to continue the story!

9. Xian Piete

Xian Piete Author of many mediocre stories

Reading List:
    Link
    Rather than write out full ideas, what I do is keep a little notebook with me and write down a little note like, "Story Idea: Woman really wants to be a knight, but the order of knights won't allow women to join. Woman trains secretly until she has the skills of a knight and then goes to her father who is some kind of official in the kingdom to find a way to get her into the order."

Then, when I have the the time, place and inspiration to write, I'll pull out my notebook of ideas, look through them and write the one that jumps out at me. My notebook fills up quick with ideas, so a lot of them just stay unused.

10. Lemonfairy

Lemonfairy 〖Retired Cat Boss〗〖Feeling the Effects of Aging〗

Reading List:
    Link
  11. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a very good piece of advice.

Also, if you have the opportunity when you get an idea just write freely until you run out of ideas or hit a wall. At the very least, you'll have a basis to work from. If/when you run out or hit the wall but get ideas for further in the story, just jump forward and continue writing. You can fill in the gaps at a later time

Lukha likes this.
  12. Ixcez

Ixcez Intergalactic Xanthic Custom Error Zone

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn’t check all the comments but sometimes I’ve found that using speech to write has made it both easier to elaborate, keep a flow and also save time with the writing.

I also personally like to write down plots or scenes as they pop up in my mind, like how there was a tent scene I just thought up but probably wouldn’t happen until way later but I wanted to get it down while it was fresh.

I have also found it difficult to elaborate at times and in those cases I simply write down the story as it goes then return to that part and flesh it out later when I either know what I want to happen next or I’ve allowed the story to ”rest” for a few days and come back with some fresh eyes to read it.

At least in my case I am not looking to release chapters in a quick pace and I am only thinking of starting to release to others when I am either happy with the story or I’ve gotten quite a bit of chapters in stock since if I ever decide to release them I want to have a fairly steady flow but at the same time I borh have other things to do but I also prefer to write and then wait a couple of days before proofreading and editing since I know I’ll be pretty blind if I don’t. It will let me more easily elaborate the different parts as well.

13. Snipetress

Snipetress [Editor, Typesetter, and PR at House of Rain]

Reading List:
    Link
    Best way for me to get motivation so far is to take advantage of whenever I have motivation. I type as many chapters as possible, and release them at a moderate speed. Then I get super tripped up over my increasing view count due to the perceived "consistency" and then my ego gets really inflated, so then I get more motivation to type more. rinse/repeat.