Discussion Open Endings, How do you guys feel about it?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SageRozenburg, Apr 24, 2019.

?

Do you guys like or enjoy Open endings?

1. Yes

2.9%
  2. No

13.0%
  3. Hate it

27.5%
  4. Depends on how open the ending is

56.5%
  1. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I can accept open or proper ending. But for the most cases, I tend to stick with what I really want to see in the end of the novel/manga/anime, or what is the best for them.

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  2. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    >.< wow... I haven't read passed scrambled eggs, so actually glad I didnt continue now. That really is a shit ending. Did author least reveal which was the childhood friend? Last I remember it was just strongly implied but not confirmed. In any case I would say he married all 5 of them. Just each ceremony was viewed as brief glimpses throughout the series as the teasers.... wishful thinking, but makes more sense then not finding out who was the actual bride.

Nah, for me as long as they end the adventures on a quest complete after a big quest I'm good. It gives enough closure that I can walk away and open enough that they could continue the story with any of the main characters a d it would make total sense.

3. AnonymousX

AnonymousX [Deleted]

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I hate open endings as it feels like the story never ended and I feel like I keep expecting a proper end, which ends up not giving me the satisfaction I was expecting from the novel.

But one thing I hate even more than open endings is author leaving things loose at the end, such as for harem novels introduce a few prominent female lead and then end up not even mentioning them towards the end or even forgetting some characters towards the end of the novel. That annoys me a lot more than open endings.

otaku31 likes this.
  4. SageRozenburg

SageRozenburg [Not a pervert][Not Suspicious]

Reading List:
    Link
    nope,
    The future wedding scene only shows one, and one ring (theres a scene where the MC left the right at his home, and asked his sister to bring it) from that information where he married them all is out of the question, (there is one ring), if by chance he married them all, only by different dates like monday to friday, then still unlikely cause he would have keeps all rings in one drawer or a scenario where he brought the 4 rings and left only 1 is highly unlikely

5. Anthak

Anthak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are kind of ignoring the fact that the manga is still ongoing and we might get closure on who gets together with who.

In general with romance/love triangle anime there might not be any way to get a definite pairing by the end of an anime season if the manga is 100+ chapters and things are still unclear. Frustration with open endings is understandable, but in your post it seems more like it is frustration with having to wait for the next season, because the original material is still ongoing.

6. littleshanks

littleshanks Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It really depends, but I usually prefer closure over things being left to my imagination. Sure, author is being nice and doesn't want to upset the people who didn't get the ending they want. But it just feels incomplete in my heart.

otaku31 and SageRozenburg like this.
  7. SageRozenburg

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, im basing this opinion on zero no tsukaima, we got season 4 and that ending is "WTF", anyway, i based my analysis on the simple goal or desire a author has, "what is the most profitable", i believe the actual end will still be more or less the same, with an unsure coupling a franchise can use or create more merchandise or as promotion, just like a long time tv sries here in our county, basically a love triangle, guess how they ended it? they ended it with a alternate endings, one ending where girl married guy 1 and another end she married guy 2. not just they created a buzz or PR, they were able to sell a lot.

8. littleshanks

littleshanks Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Speaking of that crap. I don't know if you've read Mahou Sensei Negima, but that's what happened with the open ending there, and then the alternate timeline bullshit with who Negi ends up with (infinite ones where he individually ends up with every girl in the harem). Point is UQ Holder was hot garbage.

Blitz likes this.
  9. SageRozenburg

Reading List:
    Link
    Also, im sure this author is aware how To love ru became a train wreck with the harem end, so 1 on 1 ending is the only logical ending, and how to end it will be his biggest problem, open ending usually gives an easy way out, without getting death threats from crazy fans (a lot of love triangle or pentagon ending is be a total sh*t storm if he chooses a girl).

10. SageRozenburg

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, i saw UQ holder, that was a mess, also some of the girls character's love was somewhat forced, like we blink and taddaa they in love with the MC.

11. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sadly Zero's author died before finishing the novels so it will never be concluded properly

12. dkinlow

dkinlow Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate open endings with a passion. Night Ranger and Galactic Dark Net are 2 prime examples. The novels literally ends in the middle of the adventure. Nothing is resolved. No loose ends are tied up. There's no satisfaction at the end of a journey.

SageRozenburg and otaku31 like this.
  13. SageRozenburg

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, hate that feeling all those time wasted, could have done more meaningful or productive

14. youseiki

youseiki 『Loves Glasses』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know what to feel, I've become a bit skilled on searching completed novels(even anime and manga) without an open ending(or at least with satisfying ending) and I tend to drop a lot of ongoing novels(also anime and manga) that dissatisfies me, only One Piece's ending is what I truly care.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  15. DZ_Spellcaster

DZ_Spellcaster Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Open endings are baits for fanfic writers...

16. Sakuratea

Sakuratea A Cup ot Tea

Reading List:
    Link
    5Toubun haven't ended yet, though...

17. Kuroihagane

Kuroihagane Investi-gathor

Reading List:
    Link
    Open ending is created by wimpy authors who doesn't want to be hated by fans

18. SageRozenburg

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, but the author did show us the future glimps of the wedding where he married one girl of the 5, unless he plans to scrap that scene, he is probably smart enough harem end doesnt work, example, UQ holder, negima, to love ru, etc

19. Ddraig

Ddraig Frostfire Dragon|Retired lurker|FFF|Loved by RNG

Reading List:
    Link
    Did you just say that with a straight face?

otaku31 likes this.
  20. Fossil

Fossil 「Spooky」「Scary」「Skeleton」

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s a good ending, okay? It leaves room for more while also being mostly satisfying. Plus, with the way that Er Gen has been writing, I suspect that all of his books will be revisited in a final one.