LCD Legend of Concubine’s Daughter Minglan

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by jkmessah, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Magicwafflez

Magicwafflez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah~ around that age... Lin shi's attack was somewhat insidious and had minglan not been proactive it would have probably worked...

By impressing on sheng hong that they need to keep between them, minglan would not have been able to gove her side... Her father would just be angry at her without her knowledge and only be angrier because he couldn't punish her... Not only does it hide what really happened but then minglan becomes the bully using old madam's backing.
    That is adult level scheming right there

Kalmaegi likes this.
  2. kuu0haku

kuu0haku [ ]

Reading List:
    Link
    @Magicwafflez I do know who minglan marries due to the spoilers in the review section, but I was really caught off-guard when the character himself was revealed. I mean most of the josei c-novels have very devoted male leads right? So it was surprising and also my main reason for mtling this novel(though I couldn't get too far as mtl is hard to understand). I'm also curious as to how a playboy is tamed :)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019
  3. Tachi Works

Tachi Works Not a very well known member

Reading List:
    Link
    .. I thought GU TING YI was her UNCLE?!

4. Magicwafflez

Reading List:
    Link
    No, at the party where they had first met, the princess lady (young master qi's mom) had said something like "you're all our family" or something,,, and thus they started calling each other that way.
    Remember she said the minglan was "like a sister" to her son. And they are related to the Gu family for reals.
    The sheng family is not related to the gu family at all, it was just a bit of flattery because the gu family is far above them, socially.

Kalmaegi and Tachi Works like this.
  5. Tachi Works

Reading List:
    Link
    thanks lol

6. kuu0haku

kuu0haku [ ]

Reading List:
    Link
    The new chapter was excellent, there was actual suspense as to whether the father and brother would be alive. Every other novel would include the MC in the revolt whether making it succeed or quelling it through 'clever' means. It was refreshing to read about the revolt from third party's perspective.

7. SM3LLY

SM3LLY Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was just thinking how nice it was last chapter that a crown prince was announced and there was no bloodshed lol
    It was also really interesting to see how something like this could affect Mid-grade officials. Poor Changbai.....(How many scholars would have to commit suicide for there to be only a 7th grade official left to write the decree QAQ) Its great that hes alive tho I thought for sure he was a gonner since he isn't as important to Minglans future prospects as her dad and already has a pregnant wife. Not to mention if something happened to him Changfeng would become heir which could start alllllll sorts of Drama

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    Kalmaegi, Magicwafflez and Darcy like this.
  8. Magicwafflez

Reading List:
    Link
    Something tells me linshi felt it was more a pitty that changbai didn't die~ xD

While it's sad so many officials were killed, that does much for the younger generation's upwards mobility... With such a seniority based system I doubt people retire very quickly,,, lots of open positions for our boys~ they won't have to wait years upon years for their seniors to kick the bucket~

Though, changbai is extremely important for the lan's marriage prospects, actually. Marriages are alliances. Just like sheng hong picked haishi because her family's connections will aid changbai's official career, other families consider all 3 generations when matching children. Having a brother who ranked 3rd in the exams his first try, with a father who is a 5th ranked official... Changbai is a major plus for their marriage portfolio, he will for sure surpass his father and be an asset for any family his sisters marry. But if he died...
    It's actually the same issue the he family currently has. Their middle generation is dead so their marriage prospects are slim... That's why minglan has a shot with them, yanno?

Kalmaegi, kuu0haku and SM3LLY like this.
  9. kuu0haku

kuu0haku [ ]

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, you know a lot about those things, I just felt lan's life would get difficult if the father and first heir to the house died since men decide a lot of things in those times.

Kalmaegi likes this.
  10. Noodle Lover

Noodle Lover Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have registered so I can especially discuss this novel. The Ming Lan drama introduced me to the world of Chinese tv drama and I am hooked! I love to read so am pleased there is a book. There are so many differences between the drama and the book but I enjoy both. I am glad we are starting to hear snippets about the male lead but am sad for Qi Heng especially when you read how his parents did consider Ming Lan for him. However, as much as I like Qi Heng, he was a little too perfect. I like male leads who are more of a rough diamond. It's also more clear in the novel that Ming Lan never considered Qi Heng so at least he was no loss in her view.

Kalmaegi likes this.
  11. Magicwafflez

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah~ personally I like the novel more, because the drama tended to do the usual girl protagonist thing of making minglan the center of everything... The arrow throwing match, getting the bracelet back, telling her father the saying he uses to save himself from the emperor's wrath...
    That one in particular annoyed me. Her father isn't incompetent. That whole sequence was frustrating.

The thing where Gu TingYi got a max score on the exam but was rejected by the emperor was... Ridiculous... On top of basically spitting on changbai's 3rd place, it doesn't make sense for his father to care that much about his placement. The Gu family is a military one, and they're a marques family... It's well established that noble families' kids don't care as much since they don't need to be officials. It was even mentioned a few chs ago that that was why princesses marry into nobles/military families and not official's, because a princess's husband can't hold office. But they acted like the sky was falling in the drama.

And minglan being wishy washy about qi heng... Hmph, she always was proper about the whole thing... If anything she should be mopey about he hong, tho in the drama he seemed to have all the personality of a board.

nenuphar, Kalmaegi and Tachi Works like this.
  12. Tachi Works

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes the wait at home and sense of peril for the future was really new. It also gave a glimpse of how things could go horribly wrong..

I liked Minglan's take on her father, where she thought he was by no means a good son or a good husband, but he really is a caring father.

Kalmaegi and Leilacus like this.
  13. kuu0haku

kuu0haku [ ]

Reading List:
    Link
    @Magicwafflez How is the drama compared to the novel? I usually tend to dislike dramas so is this worth watching?

14. Magicwafflez

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm~~ I stopped after a while, but,,, it was alright I suppose... I mentioned everything I didn't like about it...
    Minglan... Always had to be the center of everything... For example, when the sun young master tried to marry a whore into his house? Instead of eldest old madam having the proof on her and explaining her family's beliefs in a skilled way, of course getting the proof is something minglan thinks up and executes... Gu tingyi seems to constantly help her too,,, he helped her with the sun thing, which is completely ridiculous.
    I feel like they treat everyone but her and gu tingyi like they're idiots that couldn't do anything without their input/help.

Gu tingyi kind of supplanted qi heng as changbai's close friend; that way he has more excuses to help minglan in contrived plots (a lot of which aren't in the book)... Which also makes drama qi heng seem a bit too forward as he seems to just go after minglan constantly, not like visiting her bro and giving her a gift at the same time.

Changfeng is a lot more incompetent and gets the family in trouble a lot... In the novel, he's not outstanding, but he's not out almost ruining the family over and over (at least so far I guess)
    They gave a big start to concubine wei and some servant girl of hers... Which makes you really hate linshi... She is a lot more reasonable seeming in the novel.

kuu0haku and Fuyuneko like this.
  15. Noodle Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    As I said before, I enjoyed both the drama and the novel. Watch the drama, if only to put faces to the characters. I can't read the novel without thinking of the people in the drama especially the two main leads. I really loved seeing their relationship unfold even if it's not faithful to the novel. However, if you are a novel purist, yes, the drama is unlikely to be to your liking.

16. kuu0haku

kuu0haku [ ]

Reading List:
    Link
    I generally like minglan alot because she isn't the centre of everything and very rarely do I get the chance to read a novel with such a premise(In most of the other novels it's like the world wouldn't be progressing if the MC is not there to help others). Well, this is my preference so I probably wouldn't see the drama in the near future.

On the other hand while today's chapter was good in expressing minglan's and her grandma's relation I have a doubt, does minglan regress mentally? I mean she was an adult in her previous life and she had 13 more years to mature some more mentally, do you cry when someone close to you moves out for a couple of months or is she just acting the crying part? I felt crying then felt a bit much...

Kalmaegi likes this.
  17. Noodle Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    In Chapter 66 when Ming Lan first meets Gu Tinye at the Marquise's birthday party, she comments that he looks about age 20. At that same party, Gu Tinye's niece/cousin remarks that Gu Tinye will be married to Yanran's younger sister at the end of that month.

Back in Chapter 45, when Ming Lan and Grandma meet the extended family (Pinlan etc), they remark on her beauty. Ming Lan thinks to herself, why do they consider a 12 year old beautiful? She thinks they are just being nice/polite. So at that point she is 12 years old.

In the immediate chapter before, Chapter 44, we discover that Gu Tinye will be married to Yanran's younger sister when she turns 15, which is two years away.

Ming Lan and Gu Tinye meet for a second time in Chapter 73. She congratulates him on his marriage which took place just at the end of the last month. So unless Gu Tinye's marriage with Yanran's younger sister was brought forward (there is no evidence of this) Ming Lan is 14 years old at her second meeting with Gu Tinye and Gu Tinye, 20, by Ming Lan's estimate. No wonder he considers her just a child when he thought it was useless to get angry at her for the things she said to him.

I can't wait for more interactions between the two main leads. Even with Molan and Rulan to be married off, Gu Tingye at least has someting to do regarding Rulan's marriage prospects so we should read more of Gu Tinye soon.

Kalmaegi and SM3LLY like this.
  18. SM3LLY

SM3LLY Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    THANK YOU!!!! I really appreciate you going back through and writing all of this down
    lol@me not even noticing that its been 2 years since Minglan hung out with the Shengs

Kalmaegi likes this.
  19. Leilacus

Leilacus Zzzzz

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really see it as Minglan regressing. Maybe more on being very attached to the only person whom she knows that truly loved her. It might be coupled by the fear of having something bad happen to her grandma, which, in a blood/gene sense, isn't really her grandma but had treated her so much like a real blood related granddaughter.

20. Tachi Works

Reading List:
    Link
    She only really trusts her Grandma the most . Since even if wang shi and Lin shi don’t scheme against her, they’re not gonna do the best for her either (example the kind of maids they send to her)

Kalmaegi likes this.