Question [JP] Help

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by kizen, Apr 26, 2019.

1. kizen

kizen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    あとは五百メートルおきくらいに、二メートル角の深さ一メートルの升を作り、流れる水量が一定になるようにしておく。

I've been stuck on this line(particularly the bold part) for a while now so please help.
    Is it about a weir? A gutter? A crevice? That measuring box with the dovetail joint that they use in Japan? I'm tired and sleepy, I don't know anymore... :blobsob:

For context, they are making a water channel to make an artificial pond that's closer to the village and their adding that thing in order to make the flow rate constant or something like that.

2. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems rather technical, so I'm not entirely clear, but my best guess is that it is similar to a weir that is 2m in depth and 1m wide (rectangular shaped), and that it would be created in that 500m worth of space.

3. kizen

kizen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah. I'm probably just going to make something up. At least I know what it's for. Thanks for the help.

4. nachte

nachte Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, I thought about this some more, I feel like I was biased by the need to include flowing water in the translation. Looking at the words for their face value, this is what I feel is being conveyed:

Then to handle the 500m distance, he would make a 2m square-1m deep wooden box that would allow him to measure the water precisely. (probably to regulate the flow from the top?)

This is the wooden box (masu): https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/枡

I'm not entirely sure about the relationship that the 500m distance has with the rest of the sentence and the context, but that is my best guess. It could also be multiple boxes, you'll have to make the call.

You could probably call it a measuring device if you want to.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  5. xiazixin

xiazixin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For 500 meters make a river 1 meters deep and 2 meters hight difference from point A to point B? Water level remain consistant.