Recommendations Did you enjoy a novel many people hated?

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by lieun, Apr 29, 2019.

1. lieun

lieun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What were some of the best novels that you have read that had controversial reviews? And why do you like it despite the negativity surrounding the novel?

Edit: Thank you for the responses! I am trying to get over the habit of immediately ignoring any novels below 4. Your responses gave me a new perspective on how to view the novels.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  2. Tykos

Tykos Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dragon egg reincarnation. Rating around 3.2. I think it's a great evolution isekai novel with a likeable protagonist WITHOUT a harem. Many find the novel stupid because the MC doesnt make perfect decisions all the time and doesnt straight up kill every enemy he encounters. But, to me it makes him more human and relateable. The fights are a bit lazy, but the MC's search for friends is really heartwarming and heartbreaking at times. I can see why most people dont like it, but I do.

Szmiiit, lieun and Noor like this.
  3. rfrfcb3001

rfrfcb3001 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Level 1 dakedo Unique Skill de Saikyou desu
    Magi Craft Meister
    I Saved Too Many Girls and Caused the Apocalypse

Hyakuren no Haou to Seiyaku no Ikusa Otome

4. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    slice of life novels that get 1 star rating coz the idiots didnt bother looking at the tags and whine that its a slice of life novel.....

5. lieun

lieun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like a good novel to me, Ill go try it. :D

6. Beowulf75

Beowulf75 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No. I'm normie.

7. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm Really a Superstar. MC's been charged with plagiarism, harassment and racism- all true, I should add. Still like it cuz of face-slapping.

8. grish99

grish99 [Pelican Hater] [Hater of Face-Slapping]

Reading List:
    Link
    the lowest rating novel that I read and liked all the way is 3.9 Law of the Devil novel
    the lowest lowest rating novel that I liked but then I realised that its cancer is reincarnation of the sword god 3.3 rating (I would still like it if the novel get a chemiotherapy and got rid of that chinese syndrome)
    ofc I could forget something

9. anon

anon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Absolute Choice. For some reason it tickles my fancy and its a simple read.

grish99 likes this.
  10. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    Tempered Immortal. Only xianxia I've read where the MC actually acts low-key, instead of just talking about it. Dropped with a bunch of people whining that it was "boring".

RANTMAN and jackateonetoo like this.
  11. jackateonetoo

jackateonetoo Wet Dog

Reading List:
    Link
    I really liked PMG, but a lot of people hated it. To me the question isn't why I liked it when so many hated it, but why they hated it so much. An even better question was why they were so heated up about it. If I don't like something I usually just stop reading it, but people were really raging about it, saying it was really bad writing and stuff, but you usually don't get that much hate and complaints even on much more poorly written novels. I'd say the writing was about as good as some really popular and well liked novels, so I've always thought something about it just triggered them and they lashed out at it.

I also like Death March, but it got a lot of hate because people were expecting a lot more action for some reason.

lieun likes this.
  12. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Well nearly all CN novels especially the cultivation ones have controversial reviews with not many having a rating above 4 stars and many with even below 3.5 stars so.....should i list all the CN novels i liked here:hmm:

13. Jigoku Shounen

Jigoku Shounen An Envoy From Hell

Reading List:
    Link
    FFF-Class Trashero
    This novel is a Masterpiece(lol) that many people can't take it because the MC is really just pure "evil"(with logics that some of them make sense), but that's what make this novel so good.
    (Still waiting for more chapters since 22/04)

14. An Anime Addict

An Anime Addict (≧▽≦)/̵͇/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ (▀̿̿Ĺ̯̿▀̿ ̿)

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah this too. I love Death March and the main reason is it's slice of life but some idiots read it thinking its action without even seeing the slice of life tag/genre :facepalm:

jackateonetoo likes this.
  15. Chronos Bee

Chronos Bee Descendant of Sloth

Reading List:
    Link
    lieun likes this.
  16. Ryuubii

Ryuubii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Junior High School Sex Slave Runa
    It is difficult to say whether I really enjoyed this one, but one thing for sure, most of its reader dislike how twisted it is. As for me, although I had to skim through it a lot for reason that I was either too excited or too repulsed, I cannot say I dislike it.

Edit: *laughs menacingly in the background*

17. asaade

asaade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    god of soul system, harry potter and the secret treasures

18. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Any gender bender story I've read. Well, I don't see these types of bad reviews now since people learned it's a genre they're not into so they should not read it, and the only bad reviews now come from actual valid points in writing.

Anyway, the first gender bender straight mangas I've read had a lot of bad reviews because they found it to be too "gay", since the gender bent character ended up with a man instead of a girl by going the yuri route, that disappointed a lot of people. But I liked it a lot because I'm into that sort of thing in stories, but the bad reviews almost made be skip out on something so amazing.

I don't think this is the type of answer you were looking for, cause hate towards a genre shouldn't count when making a review. Some people like violence in stories, and some people don't, that doesn't mean the people who don't like it should read those and write bad things about it when it clearly is categorized as something they know they'd hate.

19. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't tell u the exact novel because I have read SO Many of them and dropped just as many for various reasons , but the things info remember I will mention
    - A Monster Who Levels Up : People hated the ending and there was a lot of rage going around I won't mention it specifically to not spoil it , I will just say that I thought the ending was nice , I mean yes it wasn't perfect but nothing justified the hate it got to me
    - Other novels would mostly be because of racism shit . Now I will be honest here I can let a LOT slide when reading these things but somethings r just too much , I don't remember the name of the novel but in the reviews it said that the MC bombed ( terrorist attack ) another country and justified by saying that they were evil and an airport for that matter , now I don't know about u but that is some messed up Shit , I sometimes worry that the CN novels censor some healthy sexual relations but leaves and sometimes even supports this kind of thing is worrying
    -WMW : The last arc in the world of gods was again getting a lot of well I wouldn't say crap but mud flung on it , but personally I liked that particular arc very much because it went to show what kind of guy the MC was

20. Braxx

Braxx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I read a few hundred chapters of Peerless Martial God . I love it because i like how 1 dimensional it is for the most part.
    Like 90% of the novel is :
    A young master of a random clan: How dare you ..... (random crap how the MC is trash etc....)
    MC kills him....
    The father of that young master: How dare you .....(random crap about their clan and such)
    MC kills him or scares them off for sometime....
    And 2 things happen here now, either the whole clan gets wiped out by the MC or the clan is too strong , so for now they live untill MC gets more power and authority.

My problem with the novel is the harem. Its not clear cut who will be in the harem. MC rejects some girls. I liked how the ice cold girl is almost always with him but i fear that at some point she will leave for some reason i dont know.... there are some cute momnets between the MC and the girls but those are very few and rare. Maybe the romance and harem will pick up the pase later down the novel cuz it has 2500 chapters but for the early chapters, nothing rly happens. Its just the MC building his power, authority and army...

jackateonetoo likes this.